Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not taken appart the chaincase before and would like to know if there is anything special I need to know before I do. It is a 2002 Classic 700. Is there any problem with the reverse gear? Best way to get that bolt out at the bottom left side of the case. Should you get a new gasket\Oring each time? Best way to clean. Should the chain be taken off and soaked in a solvent to thoroughly clean?

I would appreciate your assistance.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Ron your best bet on chain case service is to just drain it from the bottom plug! If you need to get in side it remove the muffler and use a 1/4" socket set with a swivel..... Its really tight it this area..... you may need to heat up the body work around the bottom of the chain case to make it easer getting the cover on and off.... WARM NOT HOT!!!!!! as for the cover "o" ring I was able to reuse it.... you buddy had his 99 leak after reuseing it.... I think your 2002 will be reuseable because of its age. you will need about 16~18 oz of chain case lube to refill! Good luck....Mark

·
Registered
602 Posts
RonL, you didn't mention how many miles you have on your sled (by the way, I also ride a 2002 700C). Also, you didn't mention if you've been checking your tension regularly. If you have more than 1500 miles on it and you have NEVER adjusted the tension, I highly recommend pulling the cover to take a peek at the wear. A loose chain will wear more rapidly and Polaris chains stretch more than most. Have you been checking the dipstick? There will always be more metal on the magnet than you would expect but if excessive metal continues to show up after break-in (500 miles), this would also be cause to look inside. Any metal on the magnet should also be smaller in size each time you check it after break in. Proper tension is KEY!!!
I use Redline synthetic Shockproof oil, but the Polaris stuff is fine as long as you're flushing every 1000 miles. I drain, flush and refill every 1000 miles. This is probably overkill, but the Polaris chaincases of previous generations have made me paranoid.

Jim

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Here is a pic of my '03 700SKS taken last week.
STK gears 23-39 74P (with reverse).
Your chaincase is the same except 25-40 gears with 76P chain.
Good luck,
HDen

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.

I did the work this past weekend with no problems. One reason I was getting more filings was because the bolt holding in the bottom gears had come completly loose. This was most likely affecting the reverse as it was acting up. I sure am glad the chaincase cover holds those gears in place as I was recently over the Cnote range down the lake.

One other thing I would like to know is what is the best method to "flush" the chaincase and what do you use. The Synthetic chanincase oil seems rather pricey to use as a flush.

Thanks! B)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ron,

Dont worry about flushing the oil, just change it seasonally. I use amzoil synthetic but will be switching to transmission fluid. Much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I drain my oil and then put staight 30w and run it on a stand for 5 minutes or so then drain again and let drain for awhile. and refill with polaris synthetic. O-Ring should be fine if you take the cover of thou.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts