Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
A lot of people ranting and raving about 4-stroke sleds seem to be riding the best GROOMED trails in the world. I know for some of the trails I ride that the only 4-stroke sled that would work for me would be a Renegade XRS 900 Turbo, and I would still find that a bit heavy.

My next sled will probably be a 850 2-stroke, unless I find a comparable deal on a Renegade XRS 900 Turbo.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It really depends where and how you ride.If you ride a lot of tight trails or like to hit forestry roads with a couple feet of powder they just don't work.Ive ridden all the biggest newest 4 strokes and they just don't seem that exciting to ride.You need wide long trails to really make them enjoyable.

My buds old turbo cat was fun as hell in the deep snow on logging roads but yes the thing was horrible at turning in trees or tight trails. Deep lugs and a tune add to the fun. I’ve yet to ride either of my buds new sleds winder and 900t but I’d imagine basically the same fun factor basically everywhere but real tight trails or in trees.

·
Registered
40,266 Posts
As we get older our bodies cant do off trail, and we are sick of rebuilding any brand of 2 strokes..So we trail ride, put on big miles and really enjoy trouble free sledding..
You could thank the epa for these newer leaner 2 strokes today when considered less reliable. Back in the day we rode our older carb 2 strokes on those same groomed trails...sometimes over 350 miles per day. Was nothing to pile on 4k miles a season yet they'd be fine for next year.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
A lot of people ranting and raving about 4-stroke sleds seem to be riding the best GROOMED trails in the world. I know for some of the trails I ride that the only 4-stroke sled that would work for me would be a Renegade XRS 900 Turbo, and I would still find that a bit heavy.

My next sled will probably be a 850 2-stroke, unless I find a comparable deal on a Renegade XRS 900 Turbo.
Of those sleds
2 winder xtx 141
1 winder mtx 163
Nitro mtx 163
2 viper mtx 153
Expedition sport 154
M8 153

Not trail sleds. Still mostly 4 strokes.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Of those sleds
2 winder xtx 141
1 winder mtx 163
Nitro mtx 163
2 viper mtx 153
Expedition sport 154
M8 153

Not trail sleds. Still mostly 4 strokes.
Those all look like trail sleds with tall windshields and mirrors.Those would all be torn off and broken after 5 minutes of off trail riding if its steep and deep at all.Even hanguard don't work off trail because they break off after the first time you roll a sled over to get unstuck.
If I was riding all trails like in that pic I might have a 4 stroke too.The trouble is that when we ride all of a sudden I find myself exploring new areas and when you get those 4 strokes stuck they are STUCK.My buddy has a 2 and 4s turbo longtrack cat.He says the 4s is fine in the mountains where its all straight line climbs but if there are any trees hes on the 2s.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Those all look like trail sleds with tall windshields and mirrors.Those would all be torn off and broken after 5 minutes of off trail riding if its steep and deep at all.Even hanguard don't work off trail because they break off after the first time you roll a sled over to get unstuck.
If I was riding all trails like in that pic I might have a 4 stroke too.The trouble is that when we ride all of a sudden I find myself exploring new areas and when you get those 4 strokes stuck they are STUCK.My buddy has a 2 and 4s turbo longtrack cat.He says the 4s is fine in the mountains where its all straight line climbs but if there are any trees hes on the 2s.
It gets fucking cold here.
Windshields and handguards are a must.
Functionality over "the look".

They get broken and repaired.

Those guys use them as intended.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts