Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
Do you remember how many years ago it was that he made that comment? I ask because it was fall of 2016 when I saw their four stroke turbo. So while they have not launched any product yet, they have actually built and tested one.
It's been a few years ... I'm guessing maybe the Spring 2015 show when they intro'd the AXYS chassis?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Do you remember how many years ago it was that he made that comment? I ask because it was fall of 2016 when I saw their four stroke turbo. So while they have not launched any product yet, they have actually built and tested one.
They also built and tested modern triples,but those sleds are on the shelf too.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I am curious what Polaris will be bringing to the table in the RZR segment . The quality of the pro xp turbo has been terrible (exploding primaries and other nonsense that shouldnt be happening at this point with the engine that has the years into it that it does) and Can am has been killing the turbo segment of the utv market , rumors of a triple rzr with big hp numbers as well as a gear box trans have been out for two years now but nothing has come to market. With the surge in powersports sales you'd think now would be the time.

I agree that 4 stroke sales are a niche market and if the masses asked for one polaris could deliver but in their 2 stroke market they are already over what the 900 xp motor made, and over what their baseline turbo engine makes for hp.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
I guess you look at where the development is for engines. For the 4 stroke there is the Yamaha but you don't hear anything being worked on then Ski-Doo and their 900. On the 2 stroke side you have Arctic Cat with a 600 and 800, Ski-Doo with an 850 and now 850-turbo and Polaris with an 850 and now 650.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
I guess you look at where the development is for engines. For the 4 stroke there is the Yamaha but you don't hear anything being worked on then Ski-Doo and their 900. On the 2 stroke side you have Arctic Cat with a 600 and 800, Ski-Doo with an 850 and now 850-turbo and Polaris with an 850 and now 650.
Kind of tells you the sport of snowmobiling isn't growing much.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If Poo wants to overtake Doo for market share, they gotta build a 4 stroke. Polaris loyalists may say they won't buy one, but to steal customers away from other brands, they have to add it to their lineup.
Maybe Polaris is more interested in profits than market share???

You can eat up a lot of R&D money and tooling delivering a 4-stroke sled to the market only to have it be a sales flop (4-Stroke Polaris IQ, Kymco powered Cats, Yamaha Phazer, etc.).

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
126 Posts
Doug S said:
If you look at the direction Yamaha took of going all 4 strokes that didn't turn out very good.
Hmmm, is that really to do with 4 strokes? Or Yamaha? The 4 stroke sled market does pretty well. Doo has 50% market share and they sell ALOT of 4 strokes. The 900 Turbo Ace is as fast as the 850.
Yamaha half asses their sledding attempt now, but we see Vipers everywhere.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Hmmm, is that really to do with 4 strokes? Or Yamaha? The 4 stroke sled market does pretty well. Doo has 50% market share and they sell ALOT of 4 strokes. The 900 Turbo Ace is as fast as the 850.
Yes, 4 strokes. They are the consolation prize of high mileage riders and the prize of wide trail boost fanatics. Neither account for a large percentage of riders.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
It's in the passed 5 years where has most of the engine development been. 2 strokes or 4 strokes? Both have their place in the sport but where has the emphasis been.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Sold my last 2 stroke in 2016 and as the advancements keep coming, power to weight keeps improving there is no compelling reason to go back to burning oil. As reliable as my two strokes were it was always the forced sell it or prepare to rebuild it scenario that had me looking for an alternative.

I'm not saying everyone should ride one but as they keep getting better it's going to be hard for Polaris to continue to ignore the segment completely.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
It really depends where and how you ride.If you ride a lot of tight trails or like to hit forestry roads with a couple feet of powder they just don't work.Ive ridden all the biggest newest 4 strokes and they just don't seem that exciting to ride.You need wide long trails to really make them enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
As this sport gets more and more expensive, people do not want to shell out 15k for a 2 stroke that lasts maybe 5=8k before needing a full rebuild. It wont be much longer that the 2 stroke crowd will not be the majority anymore, Equal, yes, but not the majority. Regardless of what a few of you think on here about 4 strokes, not everyone wants or needs the latest 850 trail ripper.Not everyone plays off trail or in the mountains.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My buds all switched to turbo 4 stroke. Almost everyone I know that rides has a 4 stroke only 1 or 2 hold outs.
It really depends where and how you ride.If you ride a lot of tight trails or like to hit forestry roads with a couple feet of powder they just don't work.Ive ridden all the biggest newest 4 strokes and they just don't seem that exciting to ride.You need wide long trails to really make them enjoyable.
that sounds just like the stuff I love to ride on with my turbo.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts