Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Was from GM, they just released their own engine developed in house. My guess is GM is probably axing that engine so they had to change anyway.

I also agree they would build a 4s if they saw a profitable market for it. They have access to all the real industry sales metrics, so they know better than any of us what the prospective ROI looks like.
This is correct. The Slingshot launched with a GM 4 cylinder that was out of production. Polaris bought up a bunch of the remaining inventory for Slingshot use. Initially that is specifically why I ordered one sight unseen from my dealer the first year. The motor and Aisin 5 speed manual transmission were excellent but everyone knew Polaris would have to bring their own motor once the GM supply dried up.

While the Slingshot has is detractors I had an absolute blast with mine. Street legal go cart for sure and at track days many non-believers quickly came around when they saw just how quick and how well it would corner, specifically with some better tires and adjustable shocks on it. Came pretty close to putting a turbo on mine but decided to go another direction instead.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Who said they don't know how? I actually said they do know how to build 4 stroke engines and the new Slingshot motor is a pretty good example of that as I have heard it is a good motor so far. You also missed the part where I saw a turbo 4 stroke in a Polaris chassis that was being tested. How do either of these statements equate to "they don't know how?"

I would love to know what the margins are based on the investment. You seem to have specific insider knowledge. I think margins would be excellent specifically if they use an engine in the sled that can also be used in their SxS's and ATV's. The chassis is already there. Where is all this additional cost you refer to coming from?
I can tell you what the margins are. Terrible. They would have a 4 stroke sled if it was worth it. IMO if they weren’t founded as a snowmobile company they wouldn’t be building them anymore

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,655 Posts
Imo, the slingshot's a failure. I don't think polaris has recouped what they spent to develop it yet.
I see maybe 4 of them a year between Illinois Wisconsin Iowa and Michigan. Not claiming I travel the entireity of each state, but where are the slingshots?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe a 4s is next on deck for all we know? The 850 & long overdue 650 development have obviously been the main focus up until now. Since the bread and butter of the lineup is pretty well sorted out and generating revenue now, they might be willing to take some risk and try that market again.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
I see maybe 4 of them a year between Illinois Wisconsin Iowa and Michigan. Not claiming I travel the entireity of each state, but where are the slingshots?
Only have seen one slingshot here since they were released. Lots can-am spider's though .....just saw a pack of at least a dozen out for a ride sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Agree there is a market and Polaris is missing out on that. Its hard so say what direction the 4 strokes are going but 5-6 years ago I rode with a some guys that were on 4 strokes and now all but 2 are back on 2 strokes. If you look at the direction Yamaha took of going all 4 strokes that didn't turn out very good. The manufactures really need to offer both if their going for market share..

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
Several years ago, Chris Wolf (President of the Snow Division) was talking with us at one of the shows. A buddy of mine always asks him about Polaris getting into the 4-stroke market and Chris just smiled and said, "So if we build a 4-stroke are you guys going to buy one?" Our silence clearly proved his point.

I'm not in the market for a 4-banger, and if I were I'd be looking at something that's proven vs. trying out a first year Polaris engineered 4-stroke (no matter how much I love the Polaris chassis).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Several years ago, Chris Wolf (President of the Snow Division) was talking with us at one of the shows. A buddy of mine always asks him about Polaris getting into the 4-stroke market and Chris just smiled and said, "So if we build a 4-stroke are you guys going to buy one?" Our silence clearly proved his point.

I'm not in the market for a 4-banger, and if I were I'd be looking at something that's proven vs. trying out a first year Polaris engineered 4-stroke (no matter how much I love the Polaris chassis).
Hit the nail on the head there!If people were asking for it ,they would build it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Do you remember how many years ago it was that he made that comment? I ask because it was fall of 2016 when I saw their four stroke turbo. So while they have not launched any product yet, they have actually built and tested one.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Edit: didn’t meant to hit send to respond. Lol.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
If Poo wants to overtake Doo for marketshare, they gotta build a 4 stroke. Polaris loyalists may say they won't buy one, but to steal customers away from other brands, they have to add it to their lineup. Same reason the "trademark" factory colors are not exclusive anymore. Green and Red Doo's, Blue and Red Cats,, Orange/grey and LimeSqueaze Yami's,, just appealing to "other" possible customers. JMO. snap

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Polaris needs to convince riders in canada, especially quebec their 4 stroke is superior to doo's or yamaha built ones if their going to takeover market share....imo, thats where the bulk of sales would be.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts