Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Of course it's worth it. You already have a chassis, it only needs to be tweaked to fit the engine configuration. You already have 4 stroke motors, just needs minor tweaks for snow. Doo puts the 900 Ace in products that run on dirt, sand, snow, water and ashpalt. That R&D money delivers profits across far more products than just sleds which translates into stability for the sport. It's far easier tor a company to kill off products that are one trick ponies when profits begin to dry up in those markets.

Polaris spent a lot of cash developing that Slingshot motor and for how many unit sales each year? Also, based on what I saw they are already spending money developing a 4 stroke sled, just cannot understand why they have not offered it for sale yet.
If it was worth it, Polaris would have a 4 stroke snowmobile. The margins are to low on the investment so they aren’t doing it. To think the reason Polaris isn’t building a 4 stroke snowmobile because they don’t know how is crazy.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Of course it's worth it. You already have a chassis, it only needs to be tweaked to fit the engine configuration. You already have 4 stroke motors, just needs minor tweaks for snow. Doo puts the 900 Ace in products that run on dirt, sand, snow, water and ashpalt. That R&D money delivers profits across far more products than just sleds which translates into stability for the sport. It's far easier tor a company to kill off products that are one trick ponies when profits begin to dry up in those markets.

Polaris spent a lot of cash developing that Slingshot motor and for how many unit sales each year? Also, based on what I saw they are already spending money developing a 4 stroke sled, just cannot understand why they have not offered it for sale yet.
the sling shot motor Polaris bought from Gm. It is the same engine in the cobalt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the sling shot motor Polaris bought from Gm. It is the same engine in the cobalt.
Was from GM, they just released their own engine developed in house. My guess is GM is probably axing that engine so they had to change anyway.

I also agree they would build a 4s if they saw a profitable market for it. They have access to all the real industry sales metrics, so they know better than any of us what the prospective ROI looks like.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If it was worth it, Polaris would have a 4 stroke snowmobile. The margins are to low on the investment so they aren’t doing it. To think the reason Polaris isn’t building a 4 stroke snowmobile because they don’t know how is crazy.
Who said they don't know how? I actually said they do know how to build 4 stroke engines and the new Slingshot motor is a pretty good example of that as I have heard it is a good motor so far. You also missed the part where I saw a turbo 4 stroke in a Polaris chassis that was being tested. How do either of these statements equate to "they don't know how?"

I would love to know what the margins are based on the investment. You seem to have specific insider knowledge. I think margins would be excellent specifically if they use an engine in the sled that can also be used in their SxS's and ATV's. The chassis is already there. Where is all this additional cost you refer to coming from?

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
900 turbo and 600 Cat both close in weight....and do you even KNOW what unsprung weight is? It would not matter if its a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke.
I haven't an idea, never looked closely how built or weighed components making up their suspensions, but by reducing unsprung weight as much as possible will help handling, and suspension peformance noticeably.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I haven't an idea, never looked closely how built or weighed components making up their suspensions, but by reducing unsprung weight as much as possible will help handling, and suspension peformance noticeably.
Ski's and track are unsprung weight, all other weight is carried by the suspension.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Depends how the shocks, and some front end components are mounted to plus parts of the rear skid....more to it than track and skis.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
126 Posts
Did anyone here own a 750 Turbo?
I almost traded a clamshell for one many years ago.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts