Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this email just popped into my inbox because I had a first year Slingshot but sold it a year and a half ago. This new engine is supposed to be pretty good and the 4 stroke's in my RZR's and ATV's have been solid.

I was lucky enough a few years back to actually see a 4 stroke turbo R&D sled that was being tested but has yet to see the showroom. So why won't Poo get in the game?

1593202921526.png

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
129 Posts
Poos made 4 stroke sleds before, the 750 Turbo.
Had mixed reviews.

·
Registered
40,076 Posts
the 850 78hp engine in my quad would do well in a sled
Maybe, but at 78 hp and being much heavier than a two stroke, you'd need some pretty hard convincing its the way to go, and even then it'll be a niche market. Polaris would need to sell a big enough number to justify all the r&d spent.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
almost 40% of all Doo's sold are 4 stroke, that is more than Cats total production numbers
If that is true that puts the 4 stroke market at about 30k sleds a year. It probably isn’t worth the r and d money for Polaris to make a 4 stroke line to sell maybe 10,000 more sleds a year

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
T
almost 40% of all Doo's sold are 4 stroke, that is more than Cats total production numbers
That’s a lot of beer cans, while the quarantine was in place , Team frenchie was taking in all the recycled beer cans and making chassis out of them, quite efficient , just don’t bump anything

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If that is true that puts the 4 stroke market at about 30k sleds a year. It probably isn’t worth the r and d money for Polaris to make a 4 stroke line to sell maybe 10,000 more sleds a year
Of course it's worth it. You already have a chassis, it only needs to be tweaked to fit the engine configuration. You already have 4 stroke motors, just needs minor tweaks for snow. Doo puts the 900 Ace in products that run on dirt, sand, snow, water and ashpalt. That R&D money delivers profits across far more products than just sleds which translates into stability for the sport. It's far easier tor a company to kill off products that are one trick ponies when profits begin to dry up in those markets.

Polaris spent a lot of cash developing that Slingshot motor and for how many unit sales each year? Also, based on what I saw they are already spending money developing a 4 stroke sled, just cannot understand why they have not offered it for sale yet.

·
Registered
40,076 Posts
Of course it's worth it. You already have a chassis, it only needs to be tweaked to fit the engine configuration. You already have 4 stroke motors, just needs minor tweaks for snow. Doo puts the 900 Ace in products that run on dirt, sand, snow, water and ashpalt. That R&D money delivers profits across far more products than just sleds which translates into stability for the sport. It's far easier tor a company to kill off products that are one trick ponies when profits begin to dry up in those markets.

Polaris spent a lot of cash developing that Slingshot motor and for how many unit sales each year? Also, based on what I saw they are already spending money developing a 4 stroke sled, just cannot understand why they have not offered it for sale yet.
Imo, the slingshot's a failure. I don't think polaris has recouped what they spent to develop it yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe they are looking at the longevity of a good 4 stroke engine and saying no thanks. I am 61 years old and bought my second 900 Ace this last year. I don't know that I will need to buy another snowmobile. I expect the engines on these to outlast the chassis. I pull the suspensions and stay on top of bearings and clutches. If the engine can last 20,000 miles, and it should easily go double that, these take me out of the market for another snowmobile for probably the next 10 years. Polaris would probably rather sell me a new 2 stroke every couple years and take my used sled with 5000 miles on it as a high mileage trade in.

·
Registered
40,076 Posts
When i first tried yamaha 4 strokes in quebec they were fine when staying on their table top highways. You notice some of the issues with 4 strokes compare to 2 strokes when you get out in the bush riding on more technical trails. Its even worse when riding one here in ma.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts