Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Not sure you did anything wrong.

If you decide to fix it again and replace the center bearings you should install the '03 and earlier gear and water pump shaft.

5131855 drive shaft

5131373 gear

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey!

Does the 03 Liberty 440 got the same issues as described?
I think I'm facing a engine crackdown.

Engine making disturbing noises from the PTO-side.
Although I can't be sure this would be the beginning of a driveshaft bearing that's bad.

It can also be noises from the drive clutch.

Feels hard when things like this happens in the middle of the season :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
So for someone trail converting an 07 440 do you need any type of additional oiling besides pre-mixing? I'm planning on putting an oil pump on my 440 some time this summer but I'd like to just run premix the rest of this season (probably just a few hundred miles)

·
Registered
370 Posts
k wat the hell i drilled the hole and this happend again for the third time this time i only got 10 miles out of it. WTF[/b]
On my 440 motor I just installed an oil check valve in the center of the case like the oil injested small blocks and give it 8-12oz of oil through a saringe as discribed in earlier posts, havn't had a problem yet. Tthe motor is an 04 and was raced 2-3 seasons snowcross ,trail ridin 1 season and raced this winter on the ice ovals in a 95 XCR chassis for 5 races (2 weekends with 5 qual.-finals). The motor has never been apart the only thing I'v done is swich the heads back and forth. I was able to drill the case slowly and patiently with some greese on the bit to grab the debree. I used Amsoil dominator and it it ran like a top.

Who has done a case mod to an 800 BB for pre-mix? Just woundering what every one else has done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry I missed this one Guy.

Taking off the water pump cover doesn't get to the gear cavity so you can't get shavings out that way. If you are careful and turn the motor up side down no shavings will get into the gear cavity.

The stock base gasket for late model 440's and most 600's is the .015" thick one P/N 5812494.

There are 3 other base gaskets available for these motors.

5813069 .006"
5813070 .010"
5813071 .020"

You can do a lot with your motors performance by changing base gaskets, but you have to know what you are doing as you decrease the squish.[/b]
Just a little tip for when your drilling out the hole in the case. If you put a dab of grease on the end of the drill bit it will gather the rest of the filings the vacuum doesn't pick up.

Also would this work with a 2002 pro-x 440 motor?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just a little tip for when your drilling out the hole in the case. If you put a dab of grease on the end of the drill bit it will gather the rest of the filings the vacuum doesn't pick up.

Also would this work with a 2002 pro-x 440 motor?[/b]
Yes it would but the '02 440 doesn't typically need this modification because it does not have the faster spinning water pump like the '04 and newer motors. To my knowledge the '02 440's don't have a reputation of burning up the water pump gears and center bearings like the '04 motors.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
k wat the hell i drilled the hole and this happend again for the third time this time i only got 10 miles out of it. WTF[/b]
You obviously have something else going wrong inside your motor. The '04 440 motor was designed to have a 60 hour lifespan (according to Polaris racing) if you did nothing at all for the center bearings. 60 hours at 60 MPH = 360 miles. IF you only got 10 miles on the sled and you seized the waterpump gears and center bearings you have other issues. Possibly a crank out of phase or tight cases or bad bearings or a machinest who is using a sledge hammer to press the crank back together.

You have something wrong other than a lack of oil.

And bobbygassers fix is also a good way to make the '04 440 live longer. You do still have to drill the cases (just not under the cylinder) and you have to install a check valve and oil the bearing/waterpump gear frequently like bobby does.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So for someone trail converting an 07 440 do you need any type of additional oiling besides pre-mixing? I'm planning on putting an oil pump on my 440 some time this summer but I'd like to just run premix the rest of this season (probably just a few hundred miles)[/b]
?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Should be fine with PreMix. 32:1.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok - here is another question for you AKIQPILOT-- i understand the whole problem with the center crank bearings and stuff. been down that road before on my 04 and 05 440s. now i have the 07 600ho mod. i am going to be checking this weekend to see if the case mod has been done by pulling the reeds. you said it only has to be done on one side, correct? now the real question. i have done my research but am up in the air. with the case mod done do you still inject 5 to 10 cc of oil threw a syringe on the fitting below the carbs on every fill up????? is it necessary after the mod to do inject oil at all threw a syringe? if i dont have the case mod is that the purpose of doing the syringe thing? and last but not least the pictures of the hose running up between the carbs is now gone off from this post so i cant see it. i realize from the factory the fitting comes with a cap on it to stop an air leak i assume. when you install the hose and leave it on there do you cap the hose off?? and if so what did you use? i would assume it would cause a air leak. OR is it a one way valve so i am fine leaving it open. thanks for all the help and hopefully i can figure this out. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering if you have more information about the grease fitting on the PTO side. Should I grease it or just leave it? I just purchased this snowmobile and would like to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what is that little box for with the switch on top with differnt settings . i have mine set on E is that were it should be. im run pump gas in it it does not have head

·
Registered
330 Posts
what is that little box for with the switch on top with differnt settings . i have mine set on E is that were it should be. im run pump gas in it it does not have head[/b]
I HAve Always heard on HCS to leave it set to G for a 600 and if it is a 440 you NEED the low comp head and any where from E to G should be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
theres no need to inject the oil ot the center bearing then? I've seen it on the 600s but don't even know if you can on the 440[/b]
i have the hose hooked up and am going to inject 10 mls of full synthetic, this is fine correct? and how often do you guys do it?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts