Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know that the Dragons that were leaving the dealership I deal with all left with full tanks of Pre-mix. I rode with two of them that fouled plugs on the first tank, but have since had no problems with straight fuel in the tank. You may also want to check the oil pump calibration. I think that there was an adjustment issue with the first few off of the assembly line. They were worried that the setting may be incorrect (too much oil). I'm pretty sure that I read a post about this in the forums somewhere...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Just looking to see if anyone else is having a issue with this? 07 Dragon with no mods. 4-5 plugs in 166 miles?[/b]
Swenny here are a few plug fouling problems reported by a few HCS guys:
BuddyP---- I fouled a plug on the Dragon while braaapin on the stand, 3 miles on it. Threw some BPR9ES's in and got 15 miles on er now (ran it on a forklift hanging into water)
Dedxtwo---- I fouled 10 plugs 50 miles all Champ-no b.s. went to ngk BPR9ES 275 flawless miles .......
Me rich03sks700----
Dedxtwo, Excellent info that 10 Champion RN57YC fouled out in 50 miles, then installed NGK BPR9ES an no more plug fouling!!!

Polaris and Champion developed the $2.00 RN57YC to run in their engines ignitions in 1997 for improved run- ability & HP, or was it that costs???

About 15+ years back Champion had a quality problem, RN2C & RN3C plugs would foul out very easy. We then switched to NGK BR8ES & BR9ES, no more plug fouling problems.

Ski-Doo uses a $5.00 NGK BR8ECS in the 06 & 07 600cc SDI engines to correct their plug fouling problem. SKI-Doo also recommends to use their synthetic blend oil, as the pure synthetic oil does not burn off from the spark plugs easily. A friend’s 05 RT 1000cc Ski-Doo had a very bad plug fouling problem until he switched to Ski-Doo’s synthetic blend oil.

Next time I am at LRM’s shop I will have to Ask Larry if he has compared HP when using Champion RN57YC and other spark plugs.

Does any one here know what spark plugs Ski-Doo & Cat run in their race engines, cost not a factor???

My Polaris dealer that sets up a Wahl Brothers oval race chassis with a heavy mod LRM Polaris 500cc fan engine for his 16 year old son. He was First in 3 different Pro Sprint classes in the USA oval Manitoba races this last Dec. But only took a 4th in the Pro Sprint 600cc open class due to the Champion RN57YCC spark plugs were fouling out in a very very lean heavy mod 500cc race engine at 100 MPH???????? No way this very very lean running mod race engine should foul out spark plugs at 100 MPH!!!!!

My Poo Dealer put VES II synthetic oil in my hard staring poor running, plug fouling 700 Dragon????? I have not switched to Red Line oil yet.

My boggy $10,000.oo 07 Dragon 700 with 87 miles, today runs excellent with new spark plugs, now on 8 spark plugs after 87 miles. I knew better then to try an UP trip, only had 10 new spark plugs, 2 left after 87 miles! My excellent dealer should have it fixed next week?

Is the problem caused by Champion RN57YC, fat fuel low ign timing ECU, low compression, oil in fuel tank, oil injection pump setting, Poo VES II synethetic oil, die electric grease causing poor electrical connections etc?????

Sounds like most 700 Dragons with 300+ miles run great! Safe sledding; Rich

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is the problem caused by Champion RN57YC, fat fuel low ign timing ECU, low compression, oil in fuel tank, oil injection pump setting, Poo VES II synethetic oil, die electric grease causing poor electrical connections etc?????

Sounds like most 700 Dragons with 300+ miles run great! Safe sledding; Rich[/b]
I belive that the Dragon's CFI programming also runs the engine a little rich (along with the dealer recommended tank of pre-mix) for the first few hundred miles. That would explain the 300+ mile factor.

I always ran NGK BR9EG's in my Cats. I never fouled a plug.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Did the plugs foul on the first start of the day? Was the engine at operating temp prior to fouling? Was the motor at operating temp then turned off and after it cooled a bit and restarted it fouled? We should be able to come up with a common scenario that led to the plug fouling if this many plugs are being fouled.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Did the plugs foul on the first start of the day? Was the engine at operating temp prior to fouling? Was the motor at operating temp then turned off and after it cooled a bit and restarted it fouled? We should be able to come up with a common scenario that led to the plug fouling if this many plugs are being fouled.[/b]
I also have fouled a couple sets of the champion plugs[6miles],once after idling it for a couple of minutes then driving it on
my loading ramp it quit half way up.NO the engine was`nt up to operating temp but it is only an 8foot drive up my ramp.
The next time was on my pond and I was driving it for a few minutes and then stopped to talk to my buddies and when I
started it again it fouled a plug right away.I noticed that both times plugs were very oily,also when I put my pipe on it was
very oily inside the Ypipe.I have switched to NGK,it has`nt fouled again but the ice has left the pond :banghead: so far so good
idling :beerchug: On the upside I can buy a pair of BR9ES for $6.00cnd compared to my buddy with his MachZ who has to pay
$25.00 for a pair of plugs for his only at the Ski-Doo dealer :no_bashing: [and he`s had to buy alot more than once] :div20:

·
Banned
17,243 Posts
Swenny here are a few plug fouling problems reported by a few HCS guys:
BuddyP---- I fouled a plug on the Dragon while braaapin on the stand, 3 miles on it. Threw some BPR9ES's in and got 15 miles on er now (ran it on a forklift hanging into water)
Dedxtwo---- I fouled 10 plugs 50 miles all Champ-no b.s. went to ngk BPR9ES 275 flawless miles .......
Me rich03sks700----
Dedxtwo, Excellent info that 10 Champion RN57YC fouled out in 50 miles, then installed NGK BPR9ES an no more plug fouling!!!

Polaris and Champion developed the $2.00 RN57YC to run in their engines ignitions in 1997 for improved run- ability & HP, or was it that costs???

About 15+ years back Champion had a quality problem, RN2C & RN3C plugs would foul out very easy. We then switched to NGK BR8ES & BR9ES, no more plug fouling problems.

Ski-Doo uses a $5.00 NGK BR8ECS in the 06 & 07 600cc SDI engines to correct their plug fouling problem. SKI-Doo also recommends to use their synthetic blend oil, as the pure synthetic oil does not burn off from the spark plugs easily. A friend’s 05 RT 1000cc Ski-Doo had a very bad plug fouling problem until he switched to Ski-Doo’s synthetic blend oil.

Next time I am at LRM’s shop I will have to Ask Larry if he has compared HP when using Champion RN57YC and other spark plugs.

Does any one here know what spark plugs Ski-Doo & Cat run in their race engines, cost not a factor???

My Polaris dealer that sets up a Wahl Brothers oval race chassis with a heavy mod LRM Polaris 500cc fan engine for his 16 year old son. He was First in 3 different Pro Sprint classes in the USA oval Manitoba races this last Dec. But only took a 4th in the Pro Sprint 600cc open class due to the Champion RN57YCC spark plugs were fouling out in a very very lean heavy mod 500cc race engine at 100 MPH???????? No way this very very lean running mod race engine should foul out spark plugs at 100 MPH!!!!!

My Poo Dealer put VES II synthetic oil in my hard staring poor running, plug fouling 700 Dragon????? I have not switched to Red Line oil yet.

My boggy $10,000.oo 07 Dragon 700 with 87 miles, today runs excellent with new spark plugs, now on 8 spark plugs after 87 miles. I knew better then to try an UP trip, only had 10 new spark plugs, 2 left after 87 miles! My excellent dealer should have it fixed next week?

Sounds like most 700 Dragons with 300+ miles run great! Safe sledding; Rich[/b]
I now have over 500 miles. checked the spark plugs yesterday and they are chocolate in colour. Original plugs, Champion by the way. I rode with another Dragon on Saturday over 1000 miles, original plugs. :div20: :div20: :div20:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just under 400 miles now, original Champions. Sled has idled at times over 10 minutes outside the shop warming up......no plug problems. Hesitation problem has been solved. LOL Lack of horsepower problem.......I'm working on it. Great little sled.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There seem to be a trend of fouling plugs on these Dragons. Almost all are short tracks so I am thinking that the fuel calibration is off. Several items to check are oil pump setting, fuel vaporizer (aka Polaris fuel filter service issue) and oil pre-mix in tank. These injectors hate oil and if you have low fuel pressure this amplifies the issue. One person mention a low compression of 110 psi, this is very low for this sled. Compression should be around 140 psi and this will not help plug fouling. As far as I know Polaris does not have a "Burn in" time on the chip. Better running after 300 miles is most likely the result of break-in on the complete sled. Some western riders notice at 150-200 miles a different running sled. Many did not add oil in first tank and this should have made a better break-in on the rings. Due to no snow here, I have not picked up my Dragon and right now it is getting the fuel vaporizer installed. I will not be running oil in the first tank unless I notice no oil drop on the injector tank. There is plenty of lubrication in the motor from the manufacture to aid in break-in. I feel most of the plug fouling sleds are hit and miss and many exaggerated from the internet. For the couple that truly do have an issue, I would have the dealer check all the settings mention above. Also contact Polaris on this so they can document it. Also push Polaris for extended warranty or several sets of plugs. Trust me Polaris wants you to be happy with this sled or at least quiet with any issues.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There seem to be a trend of fouling plugs on these Dragons. Almost all are short tracks so I am thinking that the fuel calibration is off. Several items to check are oil pump setting, fuel vaporizer (aka Polaris fuel filter service issue) and oil pre-mix in tank. These injectors hate oil and if you have low fuel pressure this amplifies the issue. One person mention a low compression of 110 psi, this is very low for this sled. Compression should be around 140 psi and this will not help plug fouling. As far as I know Polaris does not have a "Burn in" time on the chip. Better running after 300 miles is most likely the result of break-in on the complete sled. Some western riders notice at 150-200 miles a different running sled. Many did not add oil in first tank and this should have made a better break-in on the rings. Due to no snow here, I have not picked up my Dragon and right now it is getting the fuel vaporizer installed. I will not be running oil in the first tank unless I notice no oil drop on the injector tank. There is plenty of lubrication in the motor from the manufacture to aid in break-in. I feel most of the plug fouling sleds are hit and miss and many exaggerated from the internet. For the couple that truly do have an issue, I would have the dealer check all the settings mention above. Also contact Polaris on this so they can document it. Also push Polaris for extended warranty or several sets of plugs. Trust me Polaris wants you to be happy with this sled or at least quiet with any issues.[/b]
Thats exactly what the dealer told me was the injectors dont like oil.I did foul not follow 10 champ plug the first 50 miles.i still have them in my garage -no exaggeration!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There seem to be a trend of fouling plugs on these Dragons. Almost all are short tracks so I am thinking that the fuel calibration is off. Several items to check are oil pump setting, fuel vaporizer (aka Polaris fuel filter service issue) and oil pre-mix in tank. These injectors hate oil and if you have low fuel pressure this amplifies the issue. One person mention a low compression of 110 psi, this is very low for this sled. Compression should be around 140 psi and this will not help plug fouling. As far as I know Polaris does not have a "Burn in" time on the chip. Better running after 300 miles is most likely the result of break-in on the complete sled. Some western riders notice at 150-200 miles a different running sled. Many did not add oil in first tank and this should have made a better break-in on the rings. Due to no snow here, I have not picked up my Dragon and right now it is getting the fuel vaporizer installed. I will not be running oil in the first tank unless I notice no oil drop on the injector tank. There is plenty of lubrication in the motor from the manufacture to aid in break-in. I feel most of the plug fouling sleds are hit and miss and many exaggerated from the internet. For the couple that truly do have an issue, I would have the dealer check all the settings mention above. Also contact Polaris on this so they can document it. Also push Polaris for extended warranty or several sets of plugs. Trust me Polaris wants you to be happy with this sled or at least quiet with any issues.[/b]
Weantright & the other replies are spot on!!!
If Polaris did not have the Dealer dump a “dumb F--k quart of oil” in the fuel tank, plus extra assembly oil, plus injector oil my Dragon would not have fouled 6 spark plugs in the first 26 miles!!! Ran easy for 10 miles, ran to 70 MPH, stopped, restarted fouled out plugs, new plugs, short run to 80 MPG, stopped, restarted & fouled spark plugs, short runs fouled out 6 spark plugs. I should have siphoned out the dealer’s gas & oil mix after 10 miles not after 26 miles!!!

I do not have a firm source that the final production 700 Dragon RMK’s have different ECU software then a short tracked 121” Dragon. But most likely the ECU software is different??? However a Polaris Engine Engineer in Northern Wis last week said that they had to re-program proto/production test RMK Dragon ECUs when testing in the UP early this winter.

My 07 Dragon’s compression has not changed in 83 miles, is only 118 psi, same as a new IQ 600 CFI.
From S.W. Freak’s very fast 07 RMK Dragon’s compression was 118 psi at ??? elevation & a dif gauge.
My old 03 SKS 700 with HSP heads 140 psi.
Note; my compression gauge reads 2 psi higher then a SLP gauge at my brothers shop.

???What is the compression in your Dragons after 300 miles?????????

??? Do the 121” Dragons have different ECU’s & different software programs???
What part numbers are painted white on the Dragon’s ECU?? Just need a flash light to shine between the slots in the upper belt guard/holder???

My 07 Dragon 700’s ECU has two numbers p/n CZ50096J05, “CZ50” is molded & “096J05” are white paint. Most likely is the basic hardware p/n.

The second number toward the outside is a white painted p/n 4011114, most likely is the p/n of p/n CZ50096J05 after the software is programmed in.
A larger p/n such as p/n 4011518, most likely has a later software program loaded?

My Dragon is at the Excellent Poo dealership getting the ($115 kit???) return line fuel filter/vaporizer (NAPA filter/vaporizer $1.83???) installed, oil injection pump setting, & to be checked for any other issues. It will rung Excellent after my dealer gives it a slight tune up!!!! He will not accept my Wife’s 07 600 SDI Ski-Doo running better then my Dragon, he wants here back on a Polaris!

Joe, after the first 26 mile run I took the proper meds at Grumpy’s, all is well, I am happy again. Meeee & Theeee are ok, just the other folks have problems, must have been only Yamaha boots stepping on my fingers.
Thanks Much for your help !!!!!!!!! Rich

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The good news is we finally have SNOW,the bad news is my sled is at the dealer for the second time for spark plug problems.
IT has FOULED 14[7 sets] spark plugs in 11.4miles and that is no exageration!!First time at dealer they hooked it to their laptop
and it had 2 engine misfire codes stored[historic]crank posistion sensor.I got it back and it is eating plugs when it idles or restarting it after running it for a few minutes.Dealer called Polaris today and they told him they are aware of a few of these sleds have this
problem,they said that each time the cord is pulled it goes into an automatic enrichment mode and that is why it is killing PLUGS!!
Polaris told him that their Techs are having a meeting in the morning about a possible fuel remap.Problem for me is I had a trip
planned and was really looking forward to riding this sled this weekend.Hopefully they will be able to remap it at the
dealer through their laptop.This really BITES because my buddy is riding my faithfull old edge800 and he`s going this weekend!!!
I NEED A QUICK FIX :frantics:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The good news is we finally have SNOW,the bad news is my sled is at the dealer for the second time for spark plug problems.
IT has FOULED 14[7 sets] spark plugs in 11.4miles and that is no exageration!!First time at dealer they hooked it to their laptop
and it had 2 engine misfire codes stored[historic]crank posistion sensor.I got it back and it is eating plugs when it idles or restarting it after running it for a few minutes.Dealer called Polaris today and they told him they are aware of a few of these sleds have this
problem,they said that each time the cord is pulled it goes into an automatic enrichment mode and that is why it is killing PLUGS!!
Polaris told him that their Techs are having a meeting in the morning about a possible fuel remap.Problem for me is I had a trip
planned and was really looking forward to riding this sled this weekend.Hopefully they will be able to remap it at the
dealer through their laptop.This really BITES because my buddy is riding my faithfull old edge800 and he`s going this weekend!!!
I NEED A QUICK FIX :frantics:[/b]

Quick fix:

Not sure if this will work but.....Drain your oil completely....And simply mix your tank for the trip....You will need to deal with the air in the oil lines later, but you will at least get to go on your trip....Any reason that wouldn't work for him? This would take the extra oil out of the equation at least....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My dealer checked the oil pump sync today,seemed fine.Brought it home today and plan on putting SLP air horn kit on it
tonight.I`m also going to drain all pre-mix fuel out of it also.I`m also putting hotter plugs in[BPR8ES],maybe with the
hotter plug and more air flow plus the strait fuel combination will make the difference?Polaris told him that the reflash
could be a couple of weeks if they even decide to do it!!They also told him that some troubled machines are clearing up
after a couple hundred miles.That`s fine and dandy as long as I don`t need a case of spark plugs!!Thanks for any input
as all info comes in handy :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts