Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my plugs after about 250 miles, how do you think THIS looks as far as being jetted right?

·
Registered
960 Posts
lol colt click on the THIS :lol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, any opinions? lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
tooo rich

·
Registered
820 Posts
That is basically how a two cycle plug looks, it should be a little browner at the tip, but if you were idolling a little before you shut it off it might be alright! just my 2 cents !

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Looks a little rich to me also but I always check mine after a good blast on the lake. 250 miles is kinda low-why did you change them? I always get a full season out of a set and I'm over 2300 on my original F7 plugs.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
In order to properly check your main jetting you have to do a WOT run of about 1/2 mile or so. You need to shut the sled off before you start to slow down and coast to a stop. Then you will get a proper reading of how your sled is running. If you just pull your plugs and check them after a ride you are only seeing where your sled is running some of the time. If you want to check you main jets you have to do the WOT run.

Cat S.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I haven't even checked mine yet. I have had no problems at all, so I also will go all year with them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
clean them off buddy, and take a pic of the electrode, that's the part that matters when it comes to wear and tear. It looks like either you need to jet down or ride a little harder, one of the two, unless that plug looks that black from idling it for 10 min!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has been ridden hard for those miles, although I DO let it warm up for about 5 minutes before I take off. I'll try a plug chop soon and see if I can get a better reading.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Well you never said what your jet size is???They look very rich-probably the stock 380s correct???????

·
Registered
530 Posts
yea it is a little rich but how warm was it when you were running it. And will you run in a lot colder weather. If you wanna change jets for temp all the time go at it i would leave it maybe clip your needles. Changing jets gets diffeicult and rediculous after a while trying to always get it perfect. IF it runs good leave it. so you guys with the efi you dont need to brag about how your plugs last all season cuz obiously they wont foul as easy with efi unless your efi is totaly messed up.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by F5firecatsnopro@Mar 9 2003, 12:40 PM
IF it runs good leave it. so you guys with the efi you dont need to brag about how your plugs last all season cuz obiously they wont foul as easy with efi unless your efi is totaly messed up.
Am I detecting some jealousy here :p :D :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a F5 snopro and I don't have as many miles on my sled as you do.
What oil are you using? The Arctic Cat synthetic APV is a dirty burning oil compared to most after market oils.
Idle time is another problem (I let the engine run until the right side is warm) I think too that Cats carb charts are on the little bad side.
To check your plugs - check them at 1/8 all the way wot (chop off) before making any kind of carb changes - OR YOU COULD BURN OUT A ENGINE.
Even before that check your alignment mark on the oil pump to see if your pumping to much oil or to little which I doubt.
There is also other things you can do to the carbs such as fuel screw and air screw adjustments

·
Registered
94 Posts
03SnoProF5, the only thing those plugs are missing is about 1 oz of Extreme Power per gallon of gas. That is a perfect plug to start putting in additive with. Your sled will run noticeably better..........good luck!

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Both my f5s still have stock plugs-2200 miles on one-The other about 1200-You f7 guys kill me,trust me your plugs look nothing like that-Thats what efi is for-You f7 guys pull your plugs and i guarantee they will be nice and tan no matter how you drive them,what temp. what elavation,thats the purpose of efi!!!Your oil ratio thats another story,F7s using to little oil,F5s using to much-Only problem you efi guys should worry about is the damn plug wearing out-Ha ha-Us carb boys on the f5 have a little playing to do-I run mostly in wisconsin and 90% in the u.p. this year-I run 360 mains in both f5s in all type of weather with great results-Its been -30 to 30 above in the u.p. this year and yes i spend most of my time on trails not lakes-If you spend alot of time wide open on lakes,check piston wash and plugs on a very cold day,wide open throttle,and hit the kill switch-Only problem with firecats its a pain in the ass to check piston wash-you cant see the carb side of piston with a bend a light because of angled cylinders-Have to pull exhaust or pull out exhaust valves-Your jetting chart is right there on sled-Use it-I think the 360s are a good all around jet where i live,and i feel safe in all weather,kind of a happy medium as i could jet further down in warmer weather,but better to be on the safe side,as its -30 below one day and 40 above the next-One more thing,i average around 60-1 on oil ratio and use amsoil-If your using alot of oil,say 25-1 like when i picked up my sleds,you can jet all you want but that extra oil will be blowing out your exhaust because the plugs cant burn all that oil-So get your oil ratio figured out first and shoot for 60-1 to 70-1 at light to middle throttle,50-1 at wide open-Then start checking piston wash and plugs next and go from there-Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts