Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Took some vacation to ride with some buddies. On the fourth day the mxz800 and the rev800 were side by side on a miles long straight railroad line we thought we knew well and was safe to fool around in this way. Flat out and hit a large washout and both airborne. Steve ok. but Paul on the rev800 has a cracked strenum (ribcage) and two shattered vetebrate. HE RODE HOME THIS WAY!!! Airlifted to London for surgery tommorrow. PLEASE I love being crazy out there too but too much carnage on the trails, be carefull !

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<_< Just thought I'd add if your riding the A trail between Elk lake and the clubhouse in the Newliskeard area of Ontario Slow the hell down !! We use to call this stretch the throttlebahn but this is where this accident occured. The hole is poorly signed and you'll never slow down in time even if you see the sign since it's 50 ft. from the hole.( suppose the sign spacing is right for 50 kmh riding :unsure: )

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree, there are a lot of things that need to be marked ahead of time, you do not have enough time to react to the stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-_- Paul's doing o.k. Goes into surgery Feb. 5th A.m. Doctors say 6 to 8 weeks on his back ,and off work for 3 or 4 months. They see no complications that will arise at this point and the Doctor says that if he is really passionate about riding ( which he is ) he will likely be o.k. to ride again, likely a little bit slower though :blink: . Lets hope for a speedy a thorough recovery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I nearly had the same experience last week just east of Matachawan. I think it was the C106A trail. The trail ran along the powerline and the highway for a couple miles, perfectly straight, with a few 3' humps along the trail. I slowly got faster and faster until I was up to about 100 mph, I saw the hump, slowed down to about 80 or so, it looked like everything was o.k. when I got close to the hump, so I got back on the throttle. When I crested the hump I realized that the back side had been washed out or dug out from sleds landing on the other side and I knew I was going to land hard in the was out. It was only washed out a foot or two, but I knew it was gonna hurt. I hit hard as expected, but what I wasn't ready for was the rebound! The sled bounced back up with the skis off the ground probably 3'-4' and unevenly. I was looking at the ski tips. To my surprise the sled landed flat and I was able to hold on. SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME! Needless to say I was a little more cautious when cresting hills, no matter how small they are. Everyone be safe. No matter how safe you think you are, accidents happen in a fraction of a second. Speed just amplifies the damage done!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had as similar experience on my ZR 800 LE in 2001. I hit a frost bulge in the middle of a groomed LONG straight seasonal ROAD. I was going 90-100 mph and never saw the bump, just BOOM and I was airborne and the sled was blowing over backwards. I was lucky and only got a BAD bruise and a couple compressed discs. no surgery...
Tell your friend BEFORE he rides again to buy a Tek-Vest and wear a kidney belt if he does not. I did not have the vest at the time, but do not ride without it now. I had the kidney belt and the Doctors think that saved me from worse injuries.......Very scary. The DNR paced out the distance the sled flew from the bump to the crater it left at first impact at 129 feet...

·
Registered
191 Posts
just slow the hell down, what you guys need is to see what we saw a few years back, the driver of a mxz600 hit a tree at very high speed...split his helmet in two...left behind a daughter and wife! :(

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I definantly have slowed down. I now ride a 440 SnoPro and found myself only running a max of about 60 in the unknown area's. still had a blast

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^_^ The Tec vest and kidney belt are great ideas!!! Thankyou .I'm printing this topic tonight and bringing it to the hospital tommorrw for Paul. Maybe I'll spend some time piecing his REV back together for him this weekend too. :blink:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by got snow@Feb 5 2003, 11:33 PM
^_^ The Tec vest and kidney belt are great ideas!!! Thankyou .I'm printing this topic tonight and bringing it to the hospital tommorrw for Paul. Maybe I'll spend some time piecing his REV back together for him this weekend too. :blink:
Sorry to here about Paul, hope things goes well for him...

I try to always ride slow across an unknown area, and pin it back across it. We have a lot of high mountain meadows that we ride in, and always need to cross slow to start out with.

Again, we all hope things goes well with Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts