Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I cant get the cylinder off. What is preventing me from lifting these off? See the black wire behind bottom of cylinder. That is preventing me from lifting it off. Has anybody taken these off before? If so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That is the injector lines. Couple 10mm bolts and pull the fuel rail off that is mounting them in. Careful, there are 2 seals on each injector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the top of the fuel rail their are these 2 things that say do not remove. Well I took the little clip off and wiggled them but never removed them. I didnt notice it said dont remove till after I started to wiggle. But didnt come up. What is that and is it going to be a issue now?

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,913 Posts
Those are microdampers. if you didn't take them off, you'll be fine

From my service manual:

The DC-CFI-2 fuel rail assembly contains two fuel pressure microdampers. The microdampers suppress fuel pressure pulses that occur when each fuel injector is activated. The microdampers are considered “life of engine” components and servicing is not recommended. If a microdamper is removed, apply a light film of two-stroke engine oil to the o-ring during installation.

On another note, you will need to flush the bottom end out really well as i can guarantee that small shavings have make their way down to the crank.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
You lost a lot of pieces.I would take the engine all the way down so you can rinse and inspect the bearings.If one tiny piece is hiding somewhere and you miss it your rebuild wont last very long.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,482 Posts
Doing one as we speak. I'm having the crank redone. Not worth risking it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow. I dont have experience with bottom ends. I'm not sure I wanna risk fucking it up with me doing it wrong. I might just take the chance. But it has antifreeze and oil in bottom. I'm gonna try to suck it all out. But what happens to the oil and antifreeze down their if I dont get every last bit?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Oh wow. I dont have experience with bottom ends. I'm not sure I wanna risk fucking it up with me doing it wrong. I might just take the chance. But it has antifreeze and oil in bottom. I'm gonna try to suck it all out. But what happens to the oil and antifreeze down their if I dont get every last bit?
Not the oil and antifreeze you should be worried about. I would be more worried about rest of the piston pieces in the crank and bearings causing more damage if not cleaned out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it all out. Should I put any oil in lower part? How does that get lubrication? Also do you think if I just make the bottom side of the head smooth I will be alright? Its nicked up right around the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,913 Posts
i'm going to tell you that you'll be more than likely sorry if you don't go down and get that crank out and clean it up well. You many not seize up the first couple miles, but if any shavings get into those bearings it won't be long till they give out and then you have to do it all over again at easily twice the price. Ounce of prevention....etc. If you are uncomfortable doing it, the drop the case off at the dealer and pay the couple hundred for the tear down and reassembly. At the end of the day, if you've already torn it down this far, just pull the engine out and buy a clutch puller and flywheel puller and some case sealant. Pretty much all you need other than remembering to bleed the oil pump. Oh, and i would not run that head. Find a good used one. Slapping a sled together trying to save a few hundred dollars is not worth it at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I brought the head to a machine shop and he cleaned it all up for me and said it would be fine. But ya I'm gonna remove the motor and do it right. Thanks for the tip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts