Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can use the plastic waterpump impeller found on the newer sleds on older sleds.
My zrt water pump impeller was loose on the shaft after 5000 miles.
from what i hear the harmonics of the balance shaft vs the weight and softness of the aluminum impeller causes it to loosen up and vibrate allowing the seal to weap.
I dont know when they came out with the Plastic impeller With the steel insert. this is by far the most burable and lighter setup for your waterpump and i know the seals are the same.
I think that it would be the perfect replacement if it would work.

Aaron

·
Registered
575 Posts
CNOTE:

You possitive about this,if so everyone on here with a big tripple should want to know(we all know how hungry the t's are for pump seals) :div20:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by classicstream@Aug 30 2005, 10:56 AM
CNOTE:

You possitive about this,if so everyone on here with a big tripple should want to know(we all know how hungry the t's are for pump seals) :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=853213
[/quote]
yes

·
Registered
864 Posts
What year did they start using the plastic impellar with the steel insert? The seal can't run on the plastic as it would not last. Does the steel insert cover the plastic where the seal runs against the impellar? Is there still the ceramic coating on the sealing surface of the impellar? Sounds like a very good improvement that should extend seal life.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by fastcat800@Sep 7 2005, 10:56 PM
What year did they start using the plastic impellar with the steel insert?  The seal can't run on the plastic as it would not last.  Does the steel insert cover the plastic where the seal runs against the impellar?  Is there still the ceramic coating on the sealing surface of the impellar?  Sounds like a very good improvement that should extend seal life.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=865183
[/quote]
seal has teflon coating that rides on ceramic ring in back of impeller, the insert is approx 5/8(i believe) diameter with plastic injection molded on to it(lightweight/isn't affected by harmonics at idle)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found the old impeller from the Zrt 800 and I have one off a 95 zr 700 and a 2000 440 snopro and the snopro impeller is the same size as the 700 but its plastic.
but the Zrt impeller is much smaller and isnt interchangable with those parts.
Same shaft same seals.
So is there another year motor with the smaller impeller in plastic ?

I also know the 99 tcat was still aluminum.

I assume the smaller impeller is only on the big tripples because it runns at the same speed as the crank/ counterbalancer. not like the worm gear reduction most everyother motor has.

I think the zrt600 can take a plastic impeller but not the 800-900-1000.

Aaron

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
just went to my browns listing and found i'd looked up zr800 NOT zrt800 :doh: :frech32: :frech32: sorry :banghead:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Sep 8 2005, 10:31 PM
just went to my browns listing and found i'd looked up zr800 NOT zrt800 :doh:  :frech32:  :frech32: sorry :banghead:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866737
[/quote]

So this means that the plastic one is NOT interchangable with the big blocks one right?

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by jtman04401@Sep 9 2005, 02:19 AM
So this means that the plastic one is NOT interchangable with the big blocks one right?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866919
[/quote]
twin cyl for twin cyl, yes they'll interchange

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by 1BigCat@Sep 22 2005, 08:18 PM
I think that the original poster was talking about using the newer plastic impeller on a zrt. So that means it will not work on the big blocks (zrt 6, 8, 9, and 10)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=887695
[/quote]
first i'd like to clear up that fact, i indeed did look up the wrong model in my first post,(my reply was to jtman04401) so :frech32:

second,,, KILLER AV!!!!!!!!!!!! :div20:

edit:spelling correction

1 - 13 of 13 Posts