Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us from Western MA plan on making a trip up to NH as soon as Mother Nature gets her head out of her ass, and the trails are opened for business.

We've never ridden in NH before and I hear a lot of people rave about Pittsburg followed by Twin Mtn. (Pittsburg seems really far for a one-nighter trip)
With that said, we were planning on going to the Twin Mtn area but my question is, does Twin Mtn traditionally get more snow than Lincoln/Woodstock area? We are looking for the most Southern part of RTE 93 that traditionally offers good riding after the season opens.

I'd really appreciate any advice!
Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Twin and Lincoln are about next door to each other I thought. Consider driving to Errol on RT16 on the eastern side of NH. From Errol, it's wilderness trails to Pittsburg. If you are gonna drive, might as well go to the best the state has to offer. Be sure you have a map, cause you can run out of gas real easy by making a few wrong turns. The riding from Errol up is SUPERB when there's snow. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last year and this winter too...so far haven't offered much to get excited about! Twin Mt. usually has decent snow in a normal winter...but for area's south of the notch, I like The Baker River Snowmobile Club's trails. These trails...with the normal amount of snow on them are a lot of fun...the town of Rumney is a short ride off Rt.93 on NH Rt. 25. and there are several places to park, including the lot at the clubhouse.

If you're willing to make the drive...Pittsburg is the best the state of NH has to offer, usually they get snow when the rest of the state is experiencing a "brown out" like this year!

Think snow...for all of us!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the kinds of answers I'm looking for!
So Twin is better than Woodstock just for the fact of going North of the notch. So we'd like to travel at least as far as Twin Mtn then.

So no matter how you slice it, Pittsburg seems to be THE place to go when there is limited snow to offer.

What if most of the state was covered with a GOOD base of snow? Is Pittsburg still THAT much better?

For the record, its a 5 hour drive to Pitts from my house.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In good snow years there are a few places other than Pittsburg that offer great riding. Colebrook, Nash Stream,Erroll, Twin MT., Rumney, The Ossipee Valley, just to name a few...but we haven't had the snow to ride these areas in a few years now. Sadly, everyone is forced to make the drive to the northern town or towns in the last few years, but...in the good years...we have options...lots of good options. Pittsburg has become "the" place to go, like Twin Mt. was back in the '70's, but I like the less crowdwd trails that the other parts of the state have to offer...when and if we get the snow!

Woodstock and the bike path thru Franconia Notch are places I avoid...they tend to be crowded and beat...unless you're lucky enough to be the fisrt riders on freshly groomed trails...and then only for a couple of hours!

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I drive 17 hours to get to Pittsburg, if there was any reason for me NOT to drive so far I would be doing it. Take an extra day off instead of a 1 day trip, go to pittsburg & I guarantee you will be calling in sick for a 3rd & 4th day.
So when you bum over a 3 or 4 hour drive, try 17 :lol2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take the ride to Pittsburg! Even during bad winters there is still a ride to have in the higher elevations except for the past couple of weeks. Twin mountain has a lot of trials but are usually very bumpy and beat up (especially on Sat and Sun! ). Then when you get over to mount washington, the fish and game sit in the bushes with radar guns, I know first hand. Just got back from Pittsburg and there was some snow but there was more dirt and its raining there today again. I would park the sleds until the end of the month.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
These are the kinds of answers I'm looking for!
So Twin is better than Woodstock just for the fact of going North of the notch. So we'd like to travel at least as far as Twin Mtn then.

So no matter how you slice it, Pittsburg seems to be THE place to go when there is limited snow to offer.

What if most of the state was covered with a GOOD base of snow? Is Pittsburg still THAT much better?

For the record, its a 5 hour drive to Pitts from my house.[/b]

North of the notches no matter the conditions in the rest of the state if you want to do decent miles. There are othere areas that are good but putting in at Twin, looping through Berlin, Errol, Pittsburg and back down through Colebrook, Groveton, Lancaster etc is really nice. Baker river has some decent trails as does Ossipee but north of the notch you have a bunch of adjoining clubs all with good trail systems. You could start further south in Plymouth/Rumney area and run the corridor up the Conn river valley in good snow conditions but further south than that it's not worth it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I drive 17 hours to get to Pittsburg, if there was any reason for me NOT to drive so far I would be doing it. Take an extra day off instead of a 1 day trip, go to pittsburg & I guarantee you will be calling in sick for a 3rd & 4th day.
So when you bum over a 3 or 4 hour drive, try 17 :lol2:[/b]

Holy shit you're from South Carolina and snowmobile!? You're neighbors must think you're crazy.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So when you bum over a 3 or 4 hour drive, try 17 :lol2:[/b]

Damn! This website must have been NAMED after you.

Hardcore Sledder!

How many times a season do you go?

·
Registered
301 Posts
takes me exactly 4 hours from my doorstep and i would still drive double that if i had to. I usually stop in the lincoln area to get a bite to eat on the way up because it cuts the trip in half. the trails in colebrook/pitts are definetly the way to go, especially the way this season is going...

and way to go to the guy who drives from the carolinas....

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
IMO, the main diff. between south of the whites and north is the trails south of the whites tend to be twisty up and down, and quite a bit narrower. We have WAY more bridges that require careful driving, stumps to worry about, lots of road crossings, and more often than not; Bumps. Now, the positive side for the southern 2/3rds of NH is we have stores and gas like you read about. How's this for trail easy food? A McDonalds you can drive right up to in Ossipee! We also have fantastic views, and three times more lakes to run. In a good snow season, the Rt16 crossing for Corridor 19 is the busiest crossing in the entire state. In good snow, our trails are fantastic for those who like to go a little slower and check out the view. There isn't a lot of sustained 50 mph cruising here. If you like wide flat and fast (relitively) and no crossings, no houses, north is the place even if there is good cover here in the southlands.
I think more than half of the trails in NH are south of the notches..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.