Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a family trip planned Christmas week. I was planning to stay in Old Forge, but with a potential warm up next week not sure how the trails will hold up over there. I'll be coming from Georgia so I have a long drive ahead of me. Not looking for perfect conditions during this time of the season, but would like to get some riding in. Would like to ride Wednesday, Thursday and Friday if possible.

I was thinking about going to Tug Hill area instead. I'll be bringing my sled but would need to rent a 2 up for my wife and son. Does anyone know of a place to rent a sled over there that would be fairly close to a good place to stay for the week? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a family trip planned Christmas week. I was planning to stay in Old Forge, but with a potential warm up next week not sure how the trails will hold up over there. I'll be coming from Georgia so I have a long drive ahead of me. Not looking for perfect conditions during this time of the season, but would like to get some riding in. Would like to ride Wednesday, Thursday and Friday if possible.

I was thinking about going to Tug Hill area instead. I'll be bringing my sled but would need to rent a 2 up for my wife and son. Does anyone know of a place to rent a sled over there that would be fairly close to a good place to stay for the week? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Ridgeview in Lowville, Barrows in Constableville.
You can stay at Ridgeview, nice place. Restaurant on site is closed now, but plenty of places a few miles away by car or sled.

https://ridge-view.com/

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the help. Been planning a trip to Old Forge for a month or so but wanted to have plan 'B' in case Old Forge doesn't work out.

If anyone has been riding in Old Forge this week, could you give me your honest opinion on if the trails can take 2 days of upper 30's? I've read that there is very little if any base left from 2 rounds of 'R' and warmth last week. I only have the trail report each day from the Old Forge Information Center and web cams to go by.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rode 90 miles today. I think the inner trails of OF will hold up fine. The inner trails are in good shape and have good snow. The problem is as you go towards Inlet there is less snow and I don't think that trail 5 will hold up. The cut over trail to Brantingham is pretty ruff and that will only get worse as well. In OF you will get stuck local. You may be better off at the hill if you want to ride alot. I have a 11 and 13 year old that ride and I think OF will be fine for there first rip of the season but they will also ski and ice skate in OF.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode 90 miles today. I think the inner trails of OF will hold up fine. The inner trails are in good shape and have good snow. The problem is as you go towards Inlet there is less snow and I don't think that trail 5 will hold up. The cut over trail to Brantingham is pretty ruff and that will only get worse as well. In OF you will get stuck local. You may be better off at the hill if you want to ride alot. I have a 11 and 13 year old that ride and I think OF will be fine for there first rip of the season but they will also ski and ice skate in OF.

Hope that helps
Thanks man, Yes, this helps tremendously. I really appreciate your report. Just curious how long are you staying in OF? I'll be getting there late on Monday. Just as the warm up is occurring.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just an FYI... Turin Ridge Riders lower trails are closed (The trails across the Black River Valley) also just saw on Lost Trails FB page that their entire trail system is closed.
This means you cannot get from OF to Tug Hill or Tug Hill to OF by sled and the weather is not looking good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts