Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the pistons and rings in my 03 F7 and i was wondering if I should use stock replacements or are Wise :dunno: co or SPI piston ok. Does anyone have any experience with these?

·
Banned
14,035 Posts
go with the stockers

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
This thread has been around year after year. Anyone who has used the SPI has only good things to say about them. I have used them myself and never had any issues. I would not be afraid to use SPI at all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
you can't go wrong with factory, but SPI is a quality piece if price is a consern.

I have used many differant brand pistons over the years and each brand tends to have its own certain look to its castings & machining.
And the one thing that struck me with the SPI is its resemblence to the Factory HONDA pistons. I held them up side by side and was amazed how close they looked, not in size but in the look of the casting (underside of the piston)

My brother inlaw has had them in for the last 3000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I ran SPI's on my F-8 1300 miles last year & they still looked like new. Had many WOT miles on the lake & fields with no failures.I am just for my own peace of mine replacing them with SPI's for this year. :div20:
Mike

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Originally posted by f-7redcat@Oct 6 2005, 03:29 PM
Has anyone coated there stock oem`s,?  wouldn`t  that be a good idea for a ported motor???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=912801
[/quote]

They do have a coating but I don't recall the name, I whould imagine the only other type of coating left to do is D&D's ceramic coating which helps spread heat uniformly and can help to prevent burn downs if you catch it fast enough, cuz obviously if you don't everthing will eventually go. I was told if you have a tad too much timing and rather than ingnition making a hot spot and burning a hole in the piston it spreads the heat more can slow the process of melting down. Is it grafal on the OEM's or is that the SPI or the Polaris ???

I think this is one thread that is almost unanimous atleast they are all cast and specially coated pistons.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by PLUMMER@Oct 7 2005, 08:27 PM
They do have a coating but I don't recall the name, I whould imagine the only other type of coating left to do is D&D's ceramic coating which helps spread heat uniformly and can help to prevent burn downs if you catch it fast enough, cuz obviously if you don't everthing will eventually go. I was told if you have a tad too much timing and rather than ingnition making a hot spot and burning a hole in the piston it spreads the heat more can slow the process of melting down. Is it grafal on the OEM's or is that the SPI or the Polaris ???

I think this is one thread that is almost unanimous atleast they are all cast and specially coated pistons.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915414
[/quote]
does ''molybdenum sulfide'' sound correct for the oem's???(sure sounds correct :dunno: )

grafal is the coating on polaris liberty pistons(some but very few fuji's also) along with ski-doo hole fillers also

1 - 18 of 18 Posts