Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im just curious if anyone knows how piston slap sounds cause i think my sled has that problem it sounds like a slap noise when you turn the motor over with out starting it i leave the plug wires off and turn it over a couple times and it sound like the piston it hit the cylinder walls the weird thing is i put a new top end on it spring time:blink: only thing i re used was my cylinders they looked fine before the fix but nvr checked with a gauge to see clearance

·
Registered
39,951 Posts
hey guys im just curious if anyone knows how piston slap sounds cause i think my sled has that problem it sounds like a slap noise when you turn the motor over with out starting it i leave the plug wires off and turn it over a couple times and it sound like the piston it hit the cylinder walls the weird thing is i put a new top end on it spring time:blink: only thing i re used was my cylinders they looked fine before the fix but nvr checked with a gauge to see clearance
Piston slap sounds like rocks or marbles rattling around in the cylinders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it dont sound like marbles/rocks but it does sound like a tick kinda and i can feel the cylinder when the sound comes up and its not constant just every now and then but ill take the primary off and see tmw thanks ill keep updating the sound as i check stuff

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you take the primary off? Reason I said that is sometimes the weights will move around in there and it will sound like your crank bearings or top end is going but its not. Personally I'd like to be absolutely sure its a problem in the motor before tearing it apart and spending money on it to put it all back together and the noise is still there.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to tell the truth time and km on motor are unknown to me i got the sled for cheap and had a clear hood with no gauges the guy i got it from didnt use it he got it from a buddy that owed him money so he got it in trade to get his money back but i blew the top in spring time and got a new top for it and the time on that top is about 50-100 hrs and same for kms since the new top

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok the sound it coming from the crank not the clutch i think i need to redo my crank bearings since i got a new top mine as well put new ones in the bottom cause the pistons i changed where the original ones when i changed them in spring

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what ive done for maintenance so far is carb cleaning clutch rebuild and cleaning it runs but just worried bout my bottom end goin on me this year cause my guess is the bottom is still stock it dont look like the case has been spilt and the top i think i was the first to split that open also the gaskets where factory gaskets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts