Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Polaris IQR 600
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im doing a top end rebuild on my sled and im looking at the price of pistons and frankly i dont want to spend $330 per piston to get oem pistons. So im considering purchasing some wiseco pistons due to them being half the price, but the trouble is that my oem pistons are a single ring design and i cant find a single ring wiseco piston for my sled. So my question is, can i run a dual ring piston in a sled that normally has a single ring or would this create issues?

·
Registered
2009 Polaris IQR 600
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can, actually should improve durability and heat transfer.
Ok cool, does this apply to all machines or is there special circumstances for my sled (2009 iqr). I was reading somewhere that it could increase crankcase pressure. Would this have any negative affects on my machine?

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
4,079 Posts
if you are going Wiseco, extremely important to get your piston to cylinder wall clearance checked and to spec. That being said, i have 3000 miles on my Wiseco and i'm very happy with their performance.

·
Registered
43,109 Posts
Just be sure those 2 ring wiseco pistons are designed to run with those cylinders. Make sure the ring locater pins to not line up with an open port.

·
Registered
2009 Polaris IQR 600
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys, also does anybody know where i can get pistons for my machine that don't cost an arm and a leg? single or dual ring is fine. Also any quality manufacturer is fine, i was just using wiseco as an example.

·
Registered
2009 Polaris IQR 600
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was doing some google searches and seem to be having a hard time finding any kits that are in stock that are not $330 a piece.

·
Registered
43,109 Posts
ok thanks guys, also does anybody know where i can get pistons for my machine that don't cost an arm and a leg? single or dual ring is fine. Also any quality manufacturer is fine, i was just using wiseco as an example.
Yeah, kimpex if you want junk. Good quality pistons aren't cheap. I've use wossner's in the carved liberty twins, but their not cheap either.

·
Super Moderator
38,401 Posts
Call Wiseco direct.
Avoid Kimpex..and I personally would never use SPI's in any performance engine, we've seen so many issues with them.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
To the best of my knowledge Wiseco and Polaris pistons with single rings are the only options for the IQR.At this point of the season it appers that nearly everybody is out of stock with Wisecos.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,177 Posts
Is the porting on the IQR different requiring different pistons?

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
4,079 Posts
the last thing you want to do is go cheap. Check out CV Tech out of Quebec, they have some very nice kits available. Personally i'd go Wiseco or Wossner.

You want it to last spend some extra to make it last. Kimpex would be the very last pistons i'd throw in.

·
Vendor
4,737 Posts
Indy Dan offers a 4 year warranty on his Polaris motors and will not use forged pistons. OEM is recommended or if on a budget OEM like direct replacement pistons such as SPI.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,401 Posts
I am still running a sled from 1989 with wild race porting, 10,200 rpm's and the original Wiseco's from back then, never blown it up. I've seen multiple SPI pistons not make it more than 2 years and those were trail sleds.

Ask any automotive drag racer if they ever use cast pistons in their drag cars.

I've always said use whatever works for you.

·
Vendor
4,737 Posts
I am still running a sled from 1989 with wild race porting, 10,200 rpm's and the original Wiseco's from back then, never blown it up. I've seen multiple SPI pistons not make it more than 2 years and those were trail sleds.

Well I believe it's due to a lot of the issues the Polaris CFI 800 and the clearances, cylinder wall finishes and so on. Don't forget this is a stock machine and not a drag car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,454 Posts

On my personal engines Wiseco is all that I run.Unfortunately,people have a difficult time running forged pistons because they refuse to properly warm up their engines.Why do you think snowmobiles have thermostats?Its not because the sled needs a thermostat.The first thing I do with the thermostat is take it out and throw it in the garbage.. The manufacturers are just trying to dummy proof the machine as best they can.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,177 Posts
The 600r engine is a completely different bore and stroke than the 600 trail engine.It uses the 800 cfi crankshaft and smaller bore cylinders.
Oh yeah, I do remember that about the crank. I went through that looking for a crank for my D8 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts