Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have approx. 950 miles on my F7 snopro, and can now see blow-by the piston rings. Anyone else? And if so, have you had rings replaced by warranty- because of oil problem we were just informed about last week?

My compression is 130psi, but blow-by indicates ring wear, regardless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MINE HAD RING BLOW BY AFTER 5 MILES (break in) . IT LOOKS SIMILAR
TODAY BUT PISTON IS NOT AS DISCOLORED (1100MILES) COULD BE
FROM BREAK IN (STAINED). COMPRESSION 138-142

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had blowby and scoremarks on my 600s pistons at 200 mi. I could see it through the powervalve opening. I have over a thousand miles now and I just got back from northern VT where I was running 7 to 8 thosand rpm all day. Still runs great!!! :D :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard better to break in top end with petroleum base oil for 1st tank- allows to seat rings better than synthetic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOT happy with Cat on this one AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!! Cat claims that blow-by is common!!!!! And that the compression (125psi) isn't a suggestion of premature wear. Well, 150 was the psi. The performance is very noticably down too. If that ain't an indication of wear, I don't know what is. Pathetic after 600 miles and after admitting too little oil few weeks back. I'm now supposed to replace out of my own pocket! I buy lots of Cats, but with all the hassels this year, and this to top it off!!!!! REV is looking better every new problem.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
biggestcat. The rev is having motor problems big time. Rings are going out on both the 600 motor and the 800 and the 800 is also kind of hard on the bottom end with some of the cranks actually coming apart. But if that is what you want?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zl5600, there are loads of Revs up here actually being riden. Haven't seen one down. Where you getting your info?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Had to use my tow strap for the first time the other night. Just glad it was hooked to MY rear bumper and to the front of a REV 600HO!!! Guy wanted to race me on the river and after about a mile I looked back and could'nt see any lights--thought he must have turned around and went home. Being 12:30 at night on a cold night I figured I better see were he went. He went about a 1/4 mile and blew a piston!! Good thing I went back!!!Towed him to my house and then gave him a ride home in truck.He was'nt happy was leaving next day on sled vacation and had 600 miles on REV. REV sat on my front lawn all week. Guess he did'nt take his new sled on vacation. Sorry for long post, but Firecats are'nt the only sleds having problems!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
biggestcat, We have F7,F5, and 600 HO. No problems with firecats yet. Just picked 600 HO up from dealer today, new crank seal/ pistons and rings/ at 2300 miles

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
biggest cat, Why do you say "it will be out of your pocket"? Take it to the dealer have it done and say Thank-You for repairing my motor under warrenty.
I can't see any problem, It's defective and has to be fixed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what our area rep wrote re: my blow by:

We're not seeing anything different than other motors here. I believe the only reason people are questioning this look is because we have an unusually high number of people looking at pistons now. I have seen many pistons with cokied oil residue below the rings on F-7's, 6's 800's and 900's etc. The Arctic synthetic oil combined with dark color of the piston coatings give this appearance on almost all of our engines. There is always the possiblility of improving ring seal and blowby, and I have talked to Tony at Suzuki about this, but were talking abour a redesign of piston, ring seat design, and ring material that is presently not used on any of our engines. This change if it happens, would not take place for at least 2 years. The piston, ring seat, ring material on the F-7 is the same basic configuration of all our other motors. I haven't seen the F-7 pistons look any different than other motors. I can't make much stock in the person's compression test without knowing some things. What was it with 200 miles on it? What was the temp? What was the outside temp? Was the throttle wide open, or idle? Was it the same compression gauge? How long are the threads of the gauge? Do they fill the same volume as the plugs? I guess to sum it up a this point, I'm not seeing anything wrong that hasn't been there on other models. I'll do some further investigating and let you know.

A bunch of you know what. Questioning my ability to do a compression check! and a few years ago Cat used to phone me personally on engine trials when I raced in the 90's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts