Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done rebuilding my engine and put about 9 miles on the sled so far. Pre-mix in the tank of 50:1(it's whatever it should be. I forget exactly. Maybe it was 100:1). No WOT runs, plenty of warm-up time, all that good stuff. I popped off the exhaust and took a peek and it inspired me to pull off the y-pipe. This is my original cylinder that I had honed with brand new rings and a brand new piston. The other cylinder is from Millenium Tech and looks perfect. How does all this look? Normal? The oil is down from where it started at so I can only assume the pump is working so far with only this few of miles. I can't catch my nail on any of the marks so I know that's a plus. But should the piston and cylinder have these vertical marks already? Should I just keep on riding it and checking it every 25/50/etc miles for the first XXX miles?

Sorry if I'm panicking but I can't afford another full rebuild...

edit: could it be my power valve rubbing on the piston?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would say make sure you have your coolant burped good.If you haven't rode it much it may have been getting hot.Doesn't look good but nothing terminal yet.Keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Get some better pics first. Like the top picture.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't know which cylinder is which,but your supposed to use a diamond hone on the nicksil coating.I think the coating is only like 1 or 2 thousands thick.So if the cylinder that you honed looks bad maybe you went all the way through the nicksil and it's the piston scuffing the cylinder??I did the top end on mine last year with fresh coating and used pistons and new rings and they still look mint.
Good luck Joe

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know which cylinder is which,but your supposed to use a diamond hone on the nicksil coating.I think the coating is only like 1 or 2 thousands thick.So if the cylinder that you honed looks bad maybe you went all the way through the nicksil and it's the piston scuffing the cylinder??I did the top end on mine last year with fresh coating and used pistons and new rings and they still look mint.
Good luck Joe[/b]
Hmm... yeah that's the honed cylinder. I had a guy hone it for me over at his shop. He knows his stuff and has worked with Glenn Hall on plenty of sleds. I'll give him a call tomorrow and find out for sure. What do I do if it is all honed away? Send it off somewhere to get coated?

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Some of that is probably just black oil streaks...wipes right off. My F7 looks almost the same and has 2500 miles on it. Wipe it off a little and it looks NEW. Break that sucker in hard...it will run better.

That honing looks fine. 10 bucks says those streaks are pure oil. The rings push it to the top of the jug then the rings "streak" it on the way back down.

It's good to be picky though...will pay off later.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe do a compression test to see if both cylinders are the same,The top photo looks good,which I think is the nickisl one from millenium,the bottom one looks like crap if the things got no miles on it.Do a squezze test and see what each side is doing.It sounds like the guy that honed it knows sleds so maybe your ok.If the compression test is good just run the thing and run it hard.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe do a compression test to see if both cylinders are the same,The top photo looks good,which I think is the nickisl one from millenium,the bottom one looks like crap if the things got no miles on it.Do a squezze test and see what each side is doing.It sounds like the guy that honed it knows sleds so maybe your ok.If the compression test is good just run the thing and run it hard.[/b]
Cold they're both 125. Haven't tested em warm yet though. And I tried to catch a nail on them but couldn't. I was just making sure now. I figured that just because I can't catch a nail today doesn't mean I won't be catching a nail on it in tomorrow if it looks like that already.

Also every one of those pics is from the honed cylinder. I can try to get a few pics but the MT side looks cherry and didn't see a need.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just talked to him and he said all the same things you guys did. He said from what he remembers there was plenty of nickisil left and if I have any more questions to feel free to call. Basically just make sure I'm running premium pre-mix and as long as I can't catch a nail, ride that sucker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
120's is to low. I just had mine rebuilt in a shop and it came back 158 and this is before the breakin because we have none of the dam fluffy white stuff. I've heard a lot of guys who did compression test's close to new and they were 145 to 155. I found this out the hard way bought a F7 this year with the same thought that 130 was ok. Not in an F7. Runs alot better now. If you need I'll try to find my old post with all the replies about compression. Good luck but I dont think those are oil streaks that will wipe off if your compression is that low. Looks very similar to the amount of damage that was on my pistons before the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I see no better qual. pics but I agree that could be the same thing as several have listed above:

1) oil on the piston - wipe it with a rag to see if it goes away.

2) coolant not bled properly causing a hot spot and discoloration. :dunno:

At this point I'm leaning towards #1 but the pics are shit.

A cheap gauge may read low.

Are you sure you put the rings in the right way?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
120's is to low. I just had mine rebuilt in a shop and it came back 158 and this is before the breakin because we have none of the dam fluffy white stuff. I've heard a lot of guys who did compression test's close to new and they were 145 to 155. I found this out the hard way bought a F7 this year with the same thought that 130 was ok. Not in an F7. Runs alot better now. If you need I'll try to find my old post with all the replies about compression. Good luck but I dont think those are oil streaks that will wipe off if your compression is that low. Looks very similar to the amount of damage that was on my pistons before the rebuild.[/b]
Wish I would have checked my compression right after the rebuild. I tried wiping this stuff and nothing but a nice slick coat of oil came off. In the pic of the cylinder, those don't look so great. Just kill me now... I don't even care anymore.

I see no better qual. pics but I agree that could be the same thing as several have listed above:

1) oil on the piston - wipe it with a rag to see if it goes away.

2) coolant not bled properly causing a hot spot and discoloration. :dunno:

At this point I'm leaning towards #1 but the pics are shit.

A cheap gauge may read low.

Are you sure you put the rings in the right way?[/b]
I'm pretty sure it's a high quality guage but I'll ask. And I'm positive about the rings. I triple checked everything on that motor to make sure it went in the right way. Circlips, piston divot, rings, whatever else you can think of. I'll search for a link on how to properly bleed the coolant. I thought I did everything right.

1)Filled it.
2)Tipped it on the left side
3)Repeat
4)Warmed it up
5)Shut off
6)Repeated 1-3

Living up to my name...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.