Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZR900. What is the recommendation for pipes? Should I run a single or twin pipes? What company should I buy from, D&D, Speedworks, or PSI? Last year I had a ZR800 with a D&D single pipe, can, powerbreather, and clutch kit. It rocked.

·
Registered
956 Posts
stay with the single better alround i like SLP PSI AND D&D look for the weight savings and with twin you only get maybe 3 to 4 more hp. PS speedwerx are junk on the single their twin is ok.

·
Registered
863 Posts
green8, where abouts do you live...there is a 900 that races with us that has twin pips on it made up by a former dd guy, he worked for them for 8 years then went out on his own...he made up the pipes put them on did all the adjustments for 370, dyno test included...

·
Registered
726 Posts
several people told me if i were to get a pipe for my zr 600 , get the speedwerx single. are their single`s really junk, or are the singles for the 8&9`s junk?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I dont know what you are talking about the speedwerx singles being junk because my buddy has one on his zr900 and it runs really good and it looks sweet too. He has v force reeds, speedwerx clutch kit, single pipe, and he raced my friends zr 900 with D and D twins porting, v force reeds, clutch kit and power breather and my friend with the single would beat him in 1000 ft every time and after that the other 900 would just barley come by him. Both sleds had 240 studs. If I was going to get a pipe it would be the speedwerx single

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03ZR800 - I live in New Hampshire. I don't know of any cat place that likes to get involved with performance parts. Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
green8, the guy i am talkin about is located in canton maine, there are a couple cat perf. places here, gamaches is a good one, a little pricy though, but if you want the pipe guys # i can get it for you...

·
Registered
956 Posts
guys look at the dyno reports speedwerx are very hard to clutch because of a small power band. i have ran them all for the money this is what i would buy slp, psi, and D&D. PS any body can buy a pipe but it is in the setup that wins races.

·
Registered
956 Posts
guy just call livingston artic cat thay have dyno sheets on the pipes dont take my word call and ask. speedwerx twin pipes are great just the single are junk. PS THEIR IS MORE TO A PIPE THAN JUST PEAK POWER!!!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just put an SLP single pipe on my sled last weekend. We tried to put twins on a month ago, no dice. Make sure to ask if the pipe is going to fit, all the SLP Cat pipes (900) were fitted to a Mountain Cat chassis. The chaincase is located differently in the ZR9. We are going to make some brackets tonite to fit the pipe better into my sled. I have a ceramic version, that finish sure makes for a professional looking instal. Performance is somewhat better, I still have a bit of clutch work to do-this pipe runs best at 7600. Noise level is somewhat higher than stock but not offensive. Big weight saving, you will feel it on the first ride. I had a D+D single on my ZL800 for the last two years and IMHO this is a better pipe. The performance improvement is better and there is no comparison on workmanship. D+D uses a cheesy paint that peels off after 2 weeks. The only glitch on the SLP is a bit of fitting. I think after we make a little bracket out of flat strapping we will be done. BTW I rode the sled 150 miles last weekend-without the permanent fix done.

Terry

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
03ZR800 , where do you live? I would like that guy's number. If you are not to far away maybe we could go for a ride.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i am an hour from gorham nh...ill get that number for you this sunday and post it sunday afternoon, give me a call somtime on my cell, ill pm it to you...

·
Registered
154 Posts
z900snopro i dont have to call livingstons ac i'm using the spwx. single on my 800 and it works you dont have to believe me use what you like and enjoy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
zr i doubt that i am any better at clutch work than you but the 800 pipe and their clutch kit works. i am about to try a little heavier weight than in the kit to bring r's down to the approx. max. torque of the pipe.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
i have speedwerx single pipe it runs very strong. I have raced a zr900 with twin d&d, porting,reeds, 240 studs, clutch. and my single will beat him 1000' everytime. speedwerx junk i think not.
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts