·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to see where you guys stand

·
Registered
699 Posts
I used to run all that poerted piped crap now I have gone into the how fast can I make a stock sled go. I still do the can, clutch kit, reed thing but other than that I just work with the stock parts. Its nice to go smoke a sled some dude dumped a bunch of cash into and cant tune it..... :frech11:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Keep em quiet or the trails are GONZO! :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
NEWSFLASH... :banghead:

The fast sled aren't the loudest ones. Loud silencers are for hillbillies. If you like loud stuff, get some glass packs for your pickup truck. I don't think they will be closing down roads because of loud trucks, (Sounds like NASCAR too :frech11: ).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about making sleds as fast as possible but I can't see adding a silencer that either has no effect, or even loses HP, & manages to piss off other sledders and property owners, which IS CURRENTLY ruining it for all of us in the future. Besides, it's always fun to watch someone get their clock cleaned by a stock looking and sounding sled.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Well, I have a mbrp on my sled, it's not loud just sweet sounding. Like the machine should sound from the factory. I have heard sleds that made your ears bleed but mine sounds great.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Hauler@Dec 29 2003, 04:51 PM
NEWSFLASH... :banghead:

The fast sled aren't the loudest ones. Loud silencers are for hillbillies. If you like loud stuff, get some glass packs for your pickup truck. I don't think they will be closing down roads because of loud trucks, (Sounds like NASCAR too :frech11: ).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about making sleds as fast as possible but I can't see adding a silencer that either has no effect, or even loses HP, & manages to piss off other sledders and property owners, which IS CURRENTLY ruining it for all of us in the future. Besides, it's always fun to watch someone get their clock cleaned by a stock looking and sounding sled.
cat hauler.................i disagree with you...loud sleds are not for hilbillys...my sled is louder then stock and it is faster then most...aparently you have never been to a snowmobile race...seems to me that most of the sleds there are loud and they are all fast!

on the pond i race on every sunday every sled there is loud and everysled is fast...

when you put pipes on a sled you have to set the rest of the moter up for it to see the real gain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run D&D mod 1000 pipes on my 1050. Ya, there not quiet, but there not that much louder than some other triples. Also, I cant run the stock silencer with these, and i cant run the sled without the pipes. So I just dont ride at night and try to keep it to a dull roar when I am on the trails.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
According to SLP my single is within a decible of the stock pipe. I don't see that as a problem. I did ride with a guy who had a T-cat with D&D pipes and stingers. It was so loud you could hear him coming up behind you and would almost knock you over when he blew by you. Those pipes should have stayed on the race tracks and not the trails. My 2 cents. ZR8RIDER

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Originally posted by 03ZR800@Dec 29 2003, 09:29 PM
my sled is louder then stock and it is faster then most...aparently you have never been to a snowmobile race...seems to me that most of the sleds there are loud and they are all fast!

on the pond i race on every sunday every sled there is loud and everysled is fast...

when you put pipes on a sled you have to set the rest of the moter up for it to see the real gain.
It's loud and fast....................that's great on the pond or track.........keep it there...............no problem...........it's when you take that louder sled on the trail that concerns me...................we all collectively lose trails and suffer when you do this and ride anywhere near any landowners that don't appreciate the added noise and close off their land as a result. WE ALL SUFFER COLLECTIVELY.

Don't get me wrong I'm not singling you out.............maybe you live way out with direct access to trails and bother no one with the noise. Maybe you don't trailer anywhere noise might be an issue. All it takes is one closure to screw up a main snowmobile highway. At least consider the people that you may be affecting that depend on sledders dollars in the towns that might get cut off because of trail closures. I'm aiming this at those who aren't considerate about the future of our sport. We are under the threat of losing many trails. Keep that in mind when you set up your sled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
cat hauler.................i disagree with you...loud sleds are not for hilbillys...my sled is louder then stock and it is faster then most...aparently you have never been to a snowmobile race...seems to me that most of the sleds there are loud and they are all fast!
on the pond i race on every sunday every sled there is loud and everysled is fast...[/b]
I've been to plenty of races and you are absolutely right. Alot of those sleds are loud and fast. But thats where they belong. Generally speaking, you don't see the loud sleds on the trails. If you use your sled exclusively to travel the drag race circuit (which I seriously doubt), then I appologize. But if you trail ride with loud pipes, you ARE recking it for all of us. I used to have loud pipes and used to say the same B.S., "Oh, I just don't get on it real hard when its late... or, I'm carefull about being quite around houses". Yeah, right. As soon as someone goes ripping by you, you WILL inadvertantly grab a handfull of the go fast lever. Think about it... if you weren't competitive, you would be cross-country skiing or knitting. And what about the houses that you don't see. What I'm trying to say is all it takes is one person to ruin it for the whole group, and its alot easier to keep the trails open then it is to re-open them after they have been closed.

when you put pipes on a sled you have to set the rest of the moter up for it to see the real gain.[/b]
I guess I don't know what you are talking about here. I'm talking about loud silencers. I've built plenty of fast things so you don't have to explain the concept of "How to build a motor" to me. Just because you put pipes on a sled doesn't make it loud. You can put pipes on a sled with the stock silencer and gain the same amount of HP as the loud silencers, no matter how you build the motor. I know some big bore kits require aftermarket silencers because of flow issues, but when given the choice why would you want to take a chance of pissing people off and closing trails and gain zero HP. The bottom line is that "Silencers DON'T ADD HP!!!". And yes... when they are on a trail sled, they ARE for hillbilly's. :boxing:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Hauler@Dec 31 2003, 01:29 PM
You can put pipes on a sled with the stock silencer and gain the same amount of HP as the loud silencers, no matter how you build the motor. 
You are right on, cat hauler. Silencers aren't necessary for power. I run a ZRT 6 with Black Magic triples into a stock can. Sound is 'bout the same as stock, but the combo works quite well, power -wise.

Silencers are really only useful for weight savings (off-trail riding)

:imo:

SB

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Well, where I live, there are no trails on private land, hell, there are no trail near civilization.....i have an mbrp. I love the sound, weight savings, and midrange bump it gave me......I would run stock if there was any chance of pissing off the man, but here, there is no man to piss off, so we are all good.

in Newfoundland, LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES,

everywhere else, go the pipe with stock can route!....I can agree with everyone here that pipes and cans are closing trials on the "mainland", but here not a problem.....

remember to pin em!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Hauler@Dec 31 2003, 01:29 PM
I've been to plenty of races and you are absolutely right. Alot of those sleds are loud and fast. But thats where they belong. Generally speaking, you don't see the loud sleds on the trails. If you use your sled exclusively to travel the drag race circuit (which I seriously doubt), then I appologize. But if you trail ride with loud pipes, you ARE recking it for all of us. I used to have loud pipes and used to say the same B.S., "Oh, I just don't get on it real hard when its late... or, I'm carefull about being quite around houses". Yeah, right. As soon as someone goes ripping by you, you WILL inadvertantly grab a handfull of the go fast lever. Think about it... if you weren't competitive, you would be cross-country skiing or knitting. And what about the houses that you don't see. What I'm trying to say is all it takes is one person to ruin it for the whole group, and its alot easier to keep the trails open then it is to re-open them after they have been closed.

I guess I don't know what you are talking about here. I'm talking about loud silencers. I've built plenty of fast things so you don't have to explain the concept of "How to build a motor" to me. Just because you put pipes on a sled doesn't make it loud. You can put pipes on a sled with the stock silencer and gain the same amount of HP as the loud silencers, no matter how you build the motor. I know some big bore kits require aftermarket silencers because of flow issues, but when given the choice why would you want to take a chance of pissing people off and closing trails and gain zero HP. The bottom line is that "Silencers DON'T ADD HP!!!". And yes... when they are on a trail sled, they ARE for hillbilly's. :boxing: [/b][/quote]
Well cat hualer...most of my riding is on a lake or a pond...and when i do ride the trails i dont go on trails that go near peoples houses expecily at night...and where i live no one really cares about louds sleds...most of our trails are not "in town" trails or trails that go into people back lawns, most of them are out in the middle of nowhere. around here trails close because of people not staying on the marked trail not because of loud sleds.

when i do go by peoples houses when i have trailerd to ride i slow down so it isnt loud and i dont burp the throttle a lot.

i thought you where talking about pipes when i said you need to set up the rest of the moter to see the gain. i guess i missed when you said can's.

just to give you an idea how much trail riding i did last winter, i put 1000 miles on my zr and 863 miles of that where racing miles...

Dave

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
My F-7 sounds perfect the way it is. Pipes give me a headache. I like the way it is. The day I brought my girlfriends ZR 500 home, my neighbor came over and said how it needed a pipe. I was thinking it sounded good the way it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
after market pipes are illegal in Quebec... (i hope they don't do it in Ont)
that tells you there is a problem with loud pipes..

I do have pipes on mine (Simon's CPR stealth) but with a stock can
loud pipes save lives?

may on a harley

All i know is with all my gear on, helmet, sound on my sled, etc...
i can't hear a loud sled till it's next to me...
smae can't be said about the land owners...
they can hear a stock sled for a long distance, the ear pircing ones are just anoying

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
respect where you ride before they take all the trails away :m2c: just my thoughts personally i don't care but i don't live next to a trail :frech32:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts