Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read numerous posts on the check engine light and finding a solution is like throwing darts...

Before we go any further the light comes on flashing but the sled runs like a champ! No misses, not sluggish nothing..

I am trying to figure out a check engine light problem on my 03' F7. Without a lot of explanation can someone tell me if the pipe can get so hot that it throws the check engine light? The reason I ask is the old insulation between the heat shield and the pipe wore away. I put a new heat shield over top of what was left. Is it possible that the new heat shield is causing the pipe to get to hot and the check engine light to come on?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have searched and read numerous posts on the check engine light and finding a solution is like throwing darts...

Before we go any further the light comes on flashing but the sled runs like a champ! No misses, not sluggish nothing..

I am trying to figure out a check engine light problem on my 03' F7. Without a lot of explanation can someone tell me if the pipe can get so hot that it throws the check engine light? The reason I ask is the old insulation between the heat shield and the pipe wore away. I put a new heat shield over top of what was left. Is it possible that the new heat shield is causing the pipe to get to hot and the check engine light to come on?[/b]
dvarmit, give Kerry or Bruce a call, 724 235 2171.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Since there is not a sensor on the pipe doubtful a hot pipe is causing the light to go on.

Flashing idiot light means the water temp is in an area that is 1-20 degress over the normal operating temp. Example if normal operating temp is 170 the light flashes when the temp is between 171 and 190. At 191 the temp light goes from flashing to solid. Solid light is bad. Flashing using find some fluff and getting the track to spin to throw snow on the rear heat exchanger. Mine has only flashed both were done at times where the speed was steady. First time it was a steady 6800 rpms for a few miles, got sled off trail and threw some snow and light went off. Other time it blinked I rode with a slow group once at 25-30 mph for a few miles, temp light started to blink I got off trail, threw some snow, light off.

If you do alot of trail cruising where speeds stay steady, you may want to look at upgrading the coolant bottle to the 04. BMP sells a kit that includes the new bottle,connector, hoses etc for $99. They are cat parts. If you get the parts on your own price is the same BMP, BMP kit just save you the time of figuring out the part numbers to order. This kit will help improve the coolant flow as it uses a bigger hose and the bottle is less restrictive.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't have to know them to call them and ask the question.[/b]
Just odd the way the post was worded.

Anyways, Kerry looked up the three blinks and it's the air sensor reading. I suspect I knocked the wires loose taking the exhaust off or they just need cleaned. Sled is warming up now so I will post back and post my findings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts