What do you think???????????

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never did a poll before it should be

Choice a - Brand X making 180 HP 111 ft/lbs Tq revs 83-8500
Choice b - Brand Y making 178 HP 118 ft/lbs Tq revs 78-8000

What is the best all around pipe and why?

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
racing -A hp is king (well, if your setup is correct but that's another story...)
trail -B less stress and strain on the motor with less rpm's, only 2hp less and 7 more ft/lbs of grunt.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
575 Posts

It will all depend on what you want. Myself like the large tork #s but also need the high hrse as well. :div20:

·
Super Moderator
5,671 Posts
That is a hard choice. I would most definitely say that it would depend on what I wanted it for. if I wanted a hard charging 660 foot drag then the second would be my coice as torque wins short drags. It would also be a great pipe for the trail because it would pull harder up to speed. I would also want ot see how fast and how quickly the torque numbers fall off after 8000 rpm. With a torque spred of that much it may well pull a higher gear which could perhaps be faster than the pipe that shows more hp. I have seen this before. For pure lake performance the first pipe would likely pull higher speeds on the lake but lack in side by side perfomance. Reminds me of the ZR9 and all the torque it has versus the fusion that pulls the same power but less torque at higher rpm. Put them side by side and what happens(zr wins) Gear up baby and go for it. I would take the second pipe.

Jester

·
Registered
575 Posts
More indepth for the loss of two hrse to gain that much tork has a large advantage. I have a heavyer sled and I am a 230+ guy so the higher the tork #s the faster I can be propelled down the track. And right now I am pushing 124 tork. I would hate to go back to stock. I voted Y :div20:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
put pipes on the same sled and with the same rider, adjust clutching for each pipe... run to 1000ft... guess what setup will be better...

torque wins...

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Originally posted by HOUGH@Sep 30 2005, 12:39 PM
put pipes on the same sled and with the same rider, adjust clutching for each pipe...  run to 1000ft...  guess what setup will be better... 
torque wins... 
:fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:  :fluffy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=901243
[/quote]
No way ...............been there done that

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree, higher HP always wins an acceleration contest WHEN THE SLED IS SET UP ACCORDINGLY, however, for anything other than drags only, I would choose the lower reving pipe with 7 more lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Two horsepower isn't much, but its still two horsepower. The one with more horsepower wins. The one with more torque may have a better "feel", but the one with more horspower will win the race.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Another question would be engine life which will last longer and be more trailable???

·
Registered
648 Posts
Depends on what you doing for drags or trail riding i would choose the lower rom pipes but for for speed running I would choose the high rpm pipe.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
HP is very close so no big deal. I would take the higher torque lower RPM for overall riding. For drag racing or lake racing the higher RPM will have more top end and likely get there first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by hallnracing@Sep 30 2005, 05:47 PM
Two horsepower isn't much, but its still two horsepower. The one with more horsepower wins. The one with more torque may have a better "feel", but the one with more horspower will win the race.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=901693
[/quote]

I am surpised that you would give up 7 ft/lbs for 2 hp? In general terms......I have always beleived that torque =more acceleration and hp only won on top end? Isn't that why twins are very strong in short drags since they make more torque / low end grunt? Are you saying that in theory........ the single pipe would pull on the twin pipe sled for the short term and then be passed with only 2 extra hp? I would think it would take more than 2hp to catch and pass?? :dunno:

Also......doesn't clutch efficiency suffer with more rpm? I would think for drag racing that much extra torque would win???

·
Registered
444 Posts
The CTV losses about 10 % for each 1000 rpm in the 6000-9000 range.
The HP is the same torque does real work. Why the ZR900 runs well is
lots of torque. HP and RPM come into play on long lake runs where the
ratios are much different. ZR900 26-41 ratio 7500 rpm=114 mph before
loss T-CAT 24-39 8500 RPM=124 mph before loss. Go for the twist....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts