Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
So for the tank you took the clutch guard and made it the bottom of the tank essentially?? Pretty cool. I was expecting the 5" lowering to look lower then that.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yea, it looks good to me too.

Are you still using straps or something to hold the front shocks compressed??

If so and you really like the ride height W/E can make you some custon length shafts for your front shocks. You could also install shaft spacers inside the shocks to get the ride height just where you want it, although that might be lots of spacers.

Looks good and if it handles like you want it to I say you are doing great. Time to line it up next to a New XP and see who has the last laugh.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So for the tank you took the clutch guard and made it the bottom of the tank essentially?? Pretty cool. I was expecting the 5" lowering to look lower then that.[/b]
The clutch guard is re-enforced with flat plates on either side and the front support is also braced ( cause is it just riveted to the plastic ) against the shock tower. I installed a fitting into the main tank and sealed the gas cap on the main tank. Now it vents through the extra gas tank, hense pushing the gas from the extra tank into the main tank. So it emties first, that way you don't have the extra weight for very long.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it looks good to me too.

Are you still using straps or something to hold the front shocks compressed??

If so and you really like the ride height W/E can make you some custon length shafts for your front shocks. You could also install shaft spacers inside the shocks to get the ride height just where you want it, although that might be lots of spacers.

Looks good and if it handles like you want it to I say you are doing great. Time to line it up next to a New XP and see who has the last laugh.[/b]

yes I am still using straps to limit full extension, as I want more time to try different lenghts on different surface conditions.
I also installed brads spindles backwards to see if that makes it steer a bit easier. I was also thinking that maybe brad should make a set with the bolt hole for ski directly centred with the spindle shaft, as this would reduce feed back and reduce steering effort a tiny bit too. I'm just playing around with that.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ah, looks like it should corner a lot better on trails and still handle some bumps and stuff. I like it! the gas tank looks pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Okay, here are the pictures, bash away ![/b]
Very interesting setup with the aux. fuel tank. What's the capacity of that thing? I see that you are carrying a spare belt with you, so I'm guessing that it's possible to change it out on the trails? Does the tank just pop out so that you can get in there?

I like the experimentation. Is the sled just "less tippy" with the lower CG?

Arik

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks great, do you have pics of the straps, cause you did a nice job hiding them, I can't see'em. Maybe I'm blind. Keep experimenting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
sled looks fine.....I wanna know the story about the chassis hanging on the wall behind the sled....looks like it burned up or something??? Do tell.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
sled looks fine.....I wanna know the story about the chassis hanging on the wall behind the sled....looks like it burned up or something??? Do tell.[/b]

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. Then I saw it was a REV and I lost all interest in what happened. REV, that says it all.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Looks like you're having fun experimenting with the sled but are reducing what this sled was designed for - pounding the bumps. When doo lowered the ride height on the rev in '06 it clearly reduced its big bump capability. Either way have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
sled looks fine.....I wanna know the story about the chassis hanging on the wall behind the sled....looks like it burned up or something??? Do tell.[/b]

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. Then I saw it was a REV and I lost all interest in what happened. REV, that says it all.
Just kidding.[/b]

tooo much experimenting is what happened i think....lol

hey man i think that sled looks good like that, and if it corners better than thats sweet. ya maybe the big bump ability of it is reduced, but really how many average joes hit huge air and need it. most of us just like the chassie for there strength and looks. then we modify to our needs and riding styles.
sorry i got bent outta shape in your other post at the youngsters that were bashing your ideas. that stuff just pisses me off sometimes.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting setup with the aux. fuel tank. What's the capacity of that thing? I see that you are carrying a spare belt with you, so I'm guessing that it's possible to change it out on the trails? Does the tank just pop out so that you can get in there?

I like the experimentation. Is the sled just "less tippy" with the lower CG?
Arik[/b]
It holds 2.5 us gallons, an extra 20 miles it what I figure. It's held on by a strap to the clutch guard, you lift it out of the way ( hose is long enough ) then proceed as usual to change the belt.

Basically the sled is just less tippy.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was back in 04, I had a 600sdi and I stopped, flames were shooting out the hood vents. Two weeks later a letter came in the mail to stop operating the sled, possible fire hazzard caused by the fuel line rubbing against a spark plug wire. Good combo for starting a fire !
Looking at the leftover pieces I decided to bolt it to some plywood and mount it on the wall. Makes a good conversation starter.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great, do you have pics of the straps, cause you did a nice job hiding them, I can't see'em. Maybe I'm blind. Keep experimenting.[/b]

They are just cheap straps, nothing special, you can't see them because they are kinda behind the shocks and they are black, in the picture they just blend in with the black plastic.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I'm bring back the dead.. bare with me! LOL
Do you have any pictures of the straps? Where did you get them?[/b]
slugging shocks is way better then using straps and it cheap. ill get a pic of my XC setup for everyone this summer. whole sled will be 1-1.5 inches lower (fback to front). this is with a RTA relocation, limter straps pulled up and sluged front shocks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm bring back the dead.. bare with me! LOL
Do you have any pictures of the straps? Where did you get them?[/b]
They were just hardware store specials and I was just using them to set the height so I could adjust it to my liking so I could get the perfect length of slug the first time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts