Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got these pics uploaded so I thought I'd post them. Most people haven't seen the Woodford trails like this, especially on opening day.

These pics were from my ride on Sunday Dec 16. This was the morning after we received about 12-14" of fresh snow, which fell on top of nicely groomed trails which were completely unridden because the trails hadn't opened yet. This resulted in trails that were perfectly smooth under that new powder. I rode until I ran out of gas (oops).

Here's the Heartwellville parking lot. No cars in sight, and not a single sled track:

Here's the trail behind me:

And up ahead:

Here's my sled at the Woodford Mall at 9:00 AM. I was the only sled there, and was congratulated by the guys inside as being Woodford's first rider of the season!

How many guys have seen BN5 look like this? For refrence, to the left is 7A back to the power lines. To the right is 7 North.

Here's my sled parked at BN5. The only tracks were mine:

Here's BN8. Just as I approached this intersection, I saw the two Ski Doos that left these tracks just seconds before I was able to come up Airport Rd. Since they turned left onto the Glastenbury Loop, I decided to go right and stay on Airport Rd. The couple miles between the Somerset parking lot and this intersection was the only stretch of trail that had tracks on it before I got to it.

I rode all the way up to Kelly Stand Rd, then turned right to stay on 7N. I rode to the spot where the Weenie Wagon used to sit where I snapped this pic:

After that I turned around and headed for home. Then I decided to shoot over to the Harriman Reservoir, which is where I ran out of gas and wound up walking out!

I've never ridden in conditions like that before. It was absolutely amazing to be riding on perfectly smooth trails, with a 14" cushion under me. My sled just floated right on top of that powder (as you can see from my 2nd pic), and never sunk more than a few inches. Between the amazing conditions, and having those trails totally to myself, this was absolutely the best ride I've ever taken... right up until I had to start walking!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great pictures. We put on a quick 40 miles at 12:30 am in the falling snow on the 16th, looks as if we should have waited till morning.
oh well, can't complaine as last year we didn't ride till the 20th of january.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Awsome pics, Im really lucky, since the trails were almost that good when Ive rode this year.

The Tuesday after opening day, everything was re groomed, and our group was first tracks into a few of those areas.

·
Registered
373 Posts
... always a treat when one is out before the groomer... or any other traffic![/b]

great pictures. I missed Sunday's opening but was there on Tuesday and it was also incredible. Last Wednesday was very similar, too, with perfectly groomed trails and 6 inches of powder on top. We broke trail until noon until we saw someone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts