Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother and I picked up our 2020 Limiteds last weekend and man do they look sweet in person! The only thing I didnt like was the small bag that comes on it so we had the dealer swap them out for mid-sized bags. He also threw in a free tool kit since it didnt come with one. :bc:

Trailer Tire Question - When we got back we noticed one of the trailer tires on my Triton 2 place enclosed was wearing really funny on the outside of the tire. (see pictures) There is proper air pressure in them and I always grease my bearings once a year. Any idea what would cause the tire to wear like that? The other one looks totally fine. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any play in the wheel bearing?

Or possibly a bent axle....
I dont know how the axle would have got bent. Gonna have to jack it up and check the wheel bearing. Could the tire just be dry rotted or bad? It did sit for a few years in a shed without being used until last winter when I borrowed it to my brother in law and then this trip up to Hazelhurst, WI and back from Madison, WI.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Jack it up... I'll bet money your torsion band broke (inside the axle). This happened to me on my 4-place Triton (it's a 2001 so....)

You can also check the alignment of the axle... see if it moved. Measure from a point on the tongue to each hub. They should be the same.

Meanwhile... you could "store" those sleds in my garage:bc:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Why does one sled have the front shock turned out (normal) and the other facing in. Seems like that'd be a bitch to adjust. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
my tritons . i have 2 both do the same after many miles i turn them around on the rim on the older one that stays in the area and wear em right down the other that rolls back and forth to chitown gets new tires often . just my way of use . never slow on hiway . if ya were real crafty you could bend your axle to adjust the tire to ground contact pattern to match the crown on the roads ya travel on mostly i'm not that picky . one is a 2003 the other a new 2015 both do same crap after lot's of hi speed trailer runs worse unloaded than loaded they are so light

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
yes tires can go bad, they have dates on them for a reason
NEXT, I will guess bearinsg are BAd or need adjusting
OR a few other things like
could be axle slide back, the normally have a little wiggle room to adjust for straightness!
your heavier sled rides on one side of trailer more often?
trailer BENT
axle bents?
or just BAD tires out of round or balance
as these small tires cannot be balanced, as they center on lugs , there not like car and truck tires! that can be balanced!

I replace mine ever 5 yrs MAX
after that there ticking time bombs IMO
get lucky or NOT,
and down time and changing tires on side of roads SUCK!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
i run a automotive/ med, truck repair shops i balance those tires all the time
You every traveling and see sombudys axle on one side shaking its brains out!! wheels out of balance

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
you can balance them, if you have a machine that does, but when you then place on the axle, it maybe out of balance, due to they center on the center of the axle on the trailer, NOT like regular trailer tires do!
and as such hey will vary from one axle to another

Larger trailer tires again, 100% balance, but most of the small clam shells like trailers it doesn't do any good!
plus a out of balance tire will normally wear in a CHOP on the tire,
not all on one side like this!

this place typically has the best tire packages for these types of tires!

https://recstuff.com/cart.php?suggest=584e0270d27e9\

also a BENT wheel will cause a tire to wear like that as well
and over the 30+ yrs of using these types of tires/wheels
I have bought a few BRAND new one's that were bent and had to be sent back

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your axle is torsional I’ve seen that same thing when the torsional wears and as it rotates it goes out of alignment

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Jack it up and check the bearings. If they feel tight when you try to wiggle the tire, they're good. Check the axle mounting bolts through the fame, just to make sure they haven't corroded and the axle is about to fall out (it's oddly common, and I seen it....right beside me...at 60mph on the highway last year), hopefully yours are good. Observe the axle torsion angle, for lack of better term, see if it looks right and each hub is in a typical looking orientation below the deck. Then put two new tires on it and go. Nice sleds.
Call around. Might be able to buy quality tires all mounted on new rims for only a few bucks more than changing yours. Or it use to be like that anyway. I had two of those for 10-25yrs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll have to get under there and check it out and see what happened. It's been totally fine since I bought it and this just happened on this trip to our dealer and back (400 miles round trip) Hoping nothing drastic happened under there. Glad we made it back without having the tire fail. Whew!

·
Registered
39,615 Posts
My Brother and I picked up our 2020 Limiteds last weekend and man do they look sweet in person! The only thing I didnt like was the small bag that comes on it so we had the dealer swap them out for mid-sized bags. He also threw in a free tool kit since it didnt come with one. :bc:

Trailer Tire Question - When we got back we noticed one of the trailer tires on my Triton 2 place enclosed was wearing really funny on the outside of the tire. (see pictures) There is proper air pressure in them and I always grease my bearings once a year. Any idea what would cause the tire to wear like that? The other one looks totally fine. :dunno:
Had the same tire issue on my triton trailer when i owned it. Mine was caused by only carrying my sled on the same side of the trailer many times instead of loading the sled in the middle of the trailer. Its what happens when you lose your riding buddies to other activities.

·
Registered
491 Posts

What everybody else said. RecStuff can balance them before they ship.
https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/tire-wheel-combos/10-tire-and-rim-packages/2-pack-20-5x8-00-10-loadstar-trailer-tire-lre-on-5-bolt-silver-wheel-rw/before

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spare is brand new so I'll throw that one on for now. Would I be able to use the worn tire as a spare or is that asking for trouble?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts