Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the wife's new Phazer GT over the weekend for the first time. Temperatures were in the high 30's and on the trails that were low on snow but still covered with some snow it had a problem with the overheat light on the dash coming on. It came on 3 times in the first 12 miles on Friday and then once in awhile after that. Always in low snow areas. The light came on 3 times in 5 miles on Saturday before the rain came. These were not bare trails but roadways with slim snow or trails with some bare spots.

Altogether I put on 125 miles and had to stop maybe 10 times to let it cool down. I hope they offer a rear heat exchanger. Talked to a couple that had 2 Phazers and they had problems too. My 2 strokes never did this at over 40 degrees. Anyone else having overheating problems? If so you need to report them to your dealer so he can let Yamaha know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check the coolent mixture. Many of the 06's can with a mixture high in coolent ie. good for very low temps, bad for over heating. My Apex light came on last year on my first ride. I added distiled water to the mixture to bring it to a -35*F to -40*F range and no issues since. BTW I rode in temps up to 50*F at the end of the year and no issues. Just remember that the Phazers come with propelene glocyol (sp) ORANGE coolent not GREEN or YELLOW. So you need to get a tester capable or checking that type. Also I wouldn't go below -35*F range even though it seems as though it mey never freeze this year, most of the cheaper testers arn't that accurate so better safe than sorry. If you still have an issue of you just want some insurance add some engine ice or simmilar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure about the "orange" glycol. Mine is green as grass and tests 100% with a normal tester. I was told you require a refractometer to test the glycol in the Phazer as Yamaha was using a new antifreeze. Still waiting for the dealer to get a tester. Try purging the system from the purge cap in front of the tank. (when cool). I added water wetter and it helped some. Seems like the tunnel cooler freezes over and when the rad freezes over your hot. Waiting to hear about availability of a fan. (hope Yamaha is paying for that) Mountain Light guys are not experiencing these problems. I wonder if the fan blows out melting the snow away from the rad?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Alot of the overheating problems go away once you get miles on these sleds. My FX was having trouble for about the first 600kms. Now I've got 1500 on it and drive the absolute hell out of it and I don't see the light anymore. The only thing I changed was I put in a 1.5" track, which in theory should make it work harder. Just get some time on it, I'm fairly confident those issues will go away on there own.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Rode the wife's new Phazer GT over the weekend for the first time. Temperatures were in the high 30's and on the trails that were low on snow but still covered with some snow it had a problem with the overheat light on the dash coming on. It came on 3 times in the first 12 miles on Friday and then once in awhile after that. Always in low snow areas. The light came on 3 times in 5 miles on Saturday before the rain came. These were not bare trails but roadways with slim snow or trails with some bare spots.

Altogether I put on 125 miles and had to stop maybe 10 times to let it cool down. I hope they offer a rear heat exchanger. Talked to a couple that had 2 Phazers and they had problems too. My 2 strokes never did this at over 40 degrees. Anyone else having overheating problems? If so you need to report them to your dealer so he can let Yamaha know.[/b]
1 st conditions were not proper. 2nd your 2 stroke does not have as sensative warning system. 3 the overheat system will actually shut it down [stop it running] before damage occurs. if worried buy the fan from the venture lite and install if you want to ride in little to no snow. yes it does NOT have a fan on the radiator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The phazers come with the green antifreeze. where I work we have a refractometer and I tested my coolant in the phazer. It was about 80% straight antifreeze. I drained it all out and mixed it to 50/50, refilled the system and purged it. I never had a problem again especially in low snow conditions. Also don't forget like said before the motor needs to be broke in. The tolerances are really tight in the motor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I think all the comments have merit. I do think it will get better as I break it in. It will be colder out too. The little yellow light is not very big or bright so I'm think many had this problem and maybe not notice it. I do think the light comes early and is a great pre-caution. Hope to get a few miles on next week-end if we get more snow in Northern Wisconsin. I am not going to do anything with the anti-freeze. Just curious if its okay to mix anti-freeze? Mine is green too but the 50/50 mix I have in the garage is orange.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't had any complaints of overheating from anyone yet but the snow is good(mostly powder) I will be checking the antifreeze mixture in all of the sleds we sold and let you know what the mixture is. The cooler underneath is an exchanger not a rad so it needs snow on to cool properly , and the rad is just an assist so try to ride in enough snow to keep it cool the sensor system is very sensative and if the coolant is too strong it won't release the heat stored in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the overheat light coming on as well. My sled have never gone into the high temperature limp mode so far. Each time the problem is half frozen slush piling up between the track and heat exchanger. The problem seems to occurr in smooth powder conditions.
On groomed trail, it never builds up and in bumps the slush seems to get knocked out. I suspect this would not occurr with the 2" paddle in the Mtn lite.
Any Feedback? Is this a problem or just an annoyance?

Odie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went back up North this past weekend and all is well. Colder temps and the overheat light did not come on at all. The hyfax is now shot in only 228 miles. Will change this weekend.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It appeared stock track tension is way to tight. Loosening it up. My Cats with the torgue sensing link like the Phazer has all could tolerate looser track tension. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have about 600 miles on my 07 phazer fx. It ran great until the deep powder and the cold temps. Now it overheats every 10 minutes or so. Yamaha is looking into the issue. Everyone needs to contact a dealer and send in digital photos of the heat exchanger on the bottom of the sled. This is icing over and causes the overheating. some have tried Pam food release for a temp. fix. I have also heard of installing the fan from the venture lite as well. What a pain. Be careful tipping to break ice, you don't want engine oil spilling where it's not wanted.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Constant overheating on mine in deeper snow.
They blew me off till I demanded they give me a sled that doesn't overheat. They installed a fan under warranty, now it happens rarely, but resolves itself most of the time.
Ice damming on the heat exchanger from the dripping exhaust system is the cause. I love being a Guinae Pig!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Check the coolent mixture. Many of the 06's can with a mixture high in coolent ie. good for very low temps, bad for over heating. My Apex light came on last year on my first ride. I added distiled water to the mixture to bring it to a -35*F to -40*F range and no issues since. BTW I rode in temps up to 50*F at the end of the year and no issues. Just remember that the Phazers come with propelene glocyol (sp) ORANGE coolent not GREEN or YELLOW. So you need to get a tester capable or checking that type. Also I wouldn't go below -35*F range even though it seems as though it mey never freeze this year, most of the cheaper testers arn't that accurate so better safe than sorry. If you still have an issue of you just want some insurance add some engine ice or simmilar.[/b]
how much water did u add?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was reading Supertrax's review of the Phazer over on their site, and they said a fix is on the way for the overheating problems. Whether or not Yamaha will step up and upgrade the units already sold remains to be seen. We're thinking about buying one for next year, so I'm starting to look around now to see what kind of problems they've shown in their first season.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Rev 88 I will be keeping everyone posted this winter. Because I offered to race the Phazer fx X-C in the www.usccracing.com. I will be adding lots of "race parts" still keeping it stock. Butt making sure It will Make the grulling I500. Also be racing it in the 440 class against 440.

Ill start a thread with the complete build. Once I get Started

Steve

I was reading Supertrax's review of the Phazer over on their site, and they said a fix is on the way for the overheating problems. Whether or not Yamaha will step up and upgrade the units already sold remains to be seen. We're thinking about buying one for next year, so I'm starting to look around now to see what kind of problems they've shown in their first season.[/b]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.