Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and I went for a ride this afternoon and about 2 km down the trail after cusing under my breath about the ruts, I found the culprit. I advised the atv driver that the trails were not a place for him to ride, he was polite and apologetic stated he thought as long as they are not groomed it was ok. I advised he is trespassing on private property and in future to stay off. I then stopped a sled as the trail was narrow and ungroomed and the guy on the yamaha had to stop for us to pass one another, he had no pass, so I asked him where it was, his answer was "it is my first time out and I am getting one next week. I advised him as to the potential fines and that he needs a pass. I was happy to then pass 2 riders with their passes. Further along 3 more sleds on wider part of trail no visible passes. Kept going out and then turned to come back home after about 30 miles to pass about 6 sleds also unable to see any passes. I have come to the conclusion that we have a serious issue in this area with people riding without buying a trail pass and will be urging our chief warden to set up some patrols as soon as possible. We need to be out there or these guys will think it is a free for all. Alot of time money and work has gone into the trails in our area this fall and to see people out enjoying our trails is wonderful, but to see them not even contributing as much as the purchase of the pass is not acceptable and we must ensure that all users contribute to the upkeep through purchasing their trail pass. I rode out of Coniston on D headed east to 81 up to c105 rode to skead and then home same way. IMO 81 should be groomed is listed as open limited but no grooming D will have to wait c105 is nice just a little slag showing through in some wind blown spots . Here are a couple of pics.

[attachment=407170:new_year...2008_003.JPG][attachment=407169:new_year...2008_00
.JPG][attachment=407168:new_year...2008_001.JPG]

·
Registered
257 Posts
My daughter and I went for a ride this afternoon and about 2 km down the trail after cusing under my breath about the ruts, I found the culprit. I advised the atv driver that the trails were not a place for him to ride, he was polite and apologetic stated he thought as long as they are not groomed it was ok. I advised he is trespassing on private property and in future to stay off. I then stopped a sled as the trail was narrow and ungroomed and the guy on the yamaha had to stop for us to pass one another, he had no pass, so I asked him where it was, his answer was "it is my first time out and I am getting one next week. I advised him as to the potential fines and that he needs a pass. I was happy to then pass 2 riders with their passes. Further along 3 more sleds on wider part of trail no visible passes. Kept going out and then turned to come back home after about 30 miles to pass about 6 sleds also unable to see any passes. I have come to the conclusion that we have a serious issue in this area with people riding without buying a trail pass and will be urging our chief warden to set up some patrols as soon as possible. We need to be out there or these guys will think it is a free for all. Alot of time money and work has gone into the trails in our area this fall and to see people out enjoying our trails is wonderful, but to see them not even contributing as much as the purchase of the pass is not acceptable and we must ensure that all users contribute to the upkeep through purchasing their trail pass. I rode out of Coniston on D headed east to 81 up to c105 rode to skead and then home same way. IMO 81 should be groomed is listed as open limited but no grooming D will have to wait c105 is nice just a little slag showing through in some wind blown spots . Here are a couple of pics.

[attachment=407170:new_year...2008_003.JPG][attachment=407169:new_year...2008_00
.JPG][attachment=407168:new_year...2008_001.JPG][/b]
Thanks for the updates Zozo,
P.s Youre Sled looks great in Black.Enjoy....

·
Registered
299 Posts
It seems like every damn ATVer on the snowmobile trails try to play dumb and say they didnt realize the arent allowed on them. Need to be more strict or something needs to be done to make them more aware

·
Banned
8,101 Posts
It seems like every damn ATVer on the snowmobile trails try to play dumb and say they didnt realize the arent allowed on them. Need to be more strict or something needs to be done to make them more aware[/b]
Up the fines 1000 min for first offense plus 50 hrs volunteer work towards the snowmobile clubs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Up the fines 1000 min for first offense plus 50 hrs volunteer work towards the snowmobile clubs.[/b]
Now there's a hell of an idea, no permit - mandatory volunteer work in the district you were caught in....

·
Registered
391 Posts
x3

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am afraid to say it...but this is always going to be an issue!

ATV's are out selling sleds better than 3 to 1 I have been told and its only going to get bigger.

With less and less snow more people are switching sports.

Sooner or later I am sure the trails will become multisport.... private property excluded of course.

Just my .02 cents

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with you....sooner or later is going to be a multiuse system

The Atv numbers will just grow and grow until the point where not doing it will be impossible

Mike

·
Banned
8,101 Posts
I they are willing to put a track kit with skis on there ATV and stick a OFSC permit on, why not.

It's going to happen sooner or later.

Cheers :happynewyear:[/b]
I bet that there is red tape to that also.Is it a registered ATV or snowmobile .

·
Registered
267 Posts
Permit sales in my area are UP 21% (YTD 12/15)
Pre Dec 1 sales are about the same, large spike in sales first 2 weeks of Dec.

Will know the total sales at meeting next week.

Have only found 5 sleds without permits in 1000K of riding, 2 in my area and saw 3 in Innisfil over the weekend.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
the thing that pissed me off the most is that, like many of you guys, I spent my $180.00 on a trail pass and i go out on the trail and see tons of people who have not bought one. I definitely think they need to patrol the trails more. Today, I rode from long lake just over to ramsey and back and saw 3 atv's in the 30 mins i was on the trail. I followed atv tracks for a couple of miles until i was about 100' from raft lake and came up on a quad. I made sure to roost the arsehole real good when i passed him. BTW, the trails in the south end are BRUTAL!

·
Registered
206 Posts
the thing that pissed me off the most is that, like many of you guys, I spent my $180.00 on a trail pass and i go out on the trail and see tons of people who have not bought one. I definitely think they need to patrol the trails more. Today, I rode from long lake just over to ramsey and back and saw 3 atv's in the 30 mins i was on the trail. I followed atv tracks for a couple of miles until i was about 100' from raft lake and came up on a quad. I made sure to roost the arsehole real good when i passed him. BTW, the trails in the south end are BRUTAL![/b]

One of the reasons I choose to wear a TekVest.... Is because of assholes like this.

Did you ever consider that even though this guy is on a ATV that he may be a guy that has a family or others that need him? What if in your roosting the guy you kick up a rock or a chunk of ice? Ever think of that you dumb ass....

Ride behind my sled one day and let me roost you, see how you like it getting pelted from crap from the trail....especially from my 2+" paddles.

One thing is for sure, buying a permit obviously doesnt make people more smarter.

Mike

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
The Sudbury police were riding in Azilda Chelmsford Monday

I have a feeling they nailed quite a few quadders and non permit sleds

Multi permit system will never work

90% of trail closure here are due to off season ATVers and 4x4ers

they will not buy permits,why should they they already ride the trails

I agree on upping the fines

Like I said nobody gives a fuck anymore and the whole system will go down within a very short period

·
Banned
8,101 Posts
The Sudbury police were riding in Azilda Chelmsford Monday

I have a feeling they nailed quite a few quadders and non permit sleds

Multi permit system will never work

90% of trail closure here are due to off season ATVers and 4x4ers

they will not buy permits,why should they they already ride the trails

I agree on upping the fines

Like I said nobody gives a fuck anymore and the whole system will go down within a very short period[/b]
Agreed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just an idea (this will probably sound like a crappy idea but for some reason i think it is good).

What if anybody (this would probably be appealing to the average person who doesn't have time to volunteer) could just bring their camera along when they go trail riding, and when they pull over for a break just have the camera out, and if they see a sled coming up without a pass *snap plate number snap* and then email that along with the location to someone who verifies the location and picture is legit. Then the offending party has to prove that they actually have a trail pass by either providing a receipt of the pass (the one that was provided when purchased). Or wham! $500 (or so) fine. On addition to this they could make some database where they enter all the plate #'s of people that bought permits and just refrence the sled in the picture's plate numbers.

I don't know but this seems like good idea to me, anybody have any opinions on this?

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Does not work

you would then have to prove in court that it was not photoshopped

and then prove it was taken on a OFSC groomed trail on private property etc etc

then take day off work

I always have my camera and some of you have seen the trucks and quads I haven taking picture of

IMO raise fines btw where the hell is Fantino on this issue :dunno:

:lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just an idea (this will probably sound like a crappy idea but for some reason i think it is good).

What if anybody (this would probably be appealing to the average person who doesn't have time to volunteer) could just bring their camera along when they go trail riding, and when they pull over for a break just have the camera out, and if they see a sled coming up without a pass *snap plate number snap* and then email that along with the location to someone who verifies the location and picture is legit. Then the offending party has to prove that they actually have a trail pass by either providing a receipt of the pass (the one that was provided when purchased). Or wham! $500 (or so) fine. On addition to this they could make some database where they enter all the plate #'s of people that bought permits and just refrence the sled in the picture's plate numbers.

I don't know but this seems like good idea to me, anybody have any opinions on this?[/b]
Any ideas are good ideas till a solution is found....

·
Registered
148 Posts
lol i forgot about the whole photoshop thing!

what about film..... lol

but then there would need to be some government photolab......

I give up!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts