Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone here had ridden their sled up to Perce Rock in the Gaspe? Some of the trail maps show pictures of sleds driving right up to it. When I went last year there was nothing but open water. Maybe it only freezes during the harshest of winters.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It usually frozen but not safe. I've been there in 2000 2002 and 2003 and it was always frozen but not safe. According to locals anyway 2000 looked the the best year to try it but the wife said no way she was right. According to Bernard and La table au rolad the only hotel open in winter the last time anyone rode out to it was 1994. It one of my life long sledding goal to take a pic sitting in the cut out Pic of Perce' rock

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,328 Posts
That's a famous picture with those Ski Doo's parked in front of the hole, those sleds look like late 80's, early 90's models.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Anyone have any idea how deep the water is out there @ low tide. scmecelen had some pics from this summer and it looked like you could walk out to it ? Anyone know for sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
It takes a good freeze to be able to drive out and park inside the hole. I believe people were doing it in 2000. Not much water at low tide. A few friends of mine from Gaspé have even traveled over to Bonaventure Island from Percé rock on their sled. This was absolutely ridiculous, if you have ever visited or seen the island. It was a rare occurance to see it frozen straight accross. Perhaps just a rare phenomenon today. I guess they did not realize their actions until they arrived back on shore and people were running out to make sure they were alright.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I rode out to in 96 or 97, have the pics on non digital format in a box somewhere. Should get that out and scan it. Been Around the gaspe many times and have only seen the ice safe to the rock in perce that once. Several years back, we got to the roland, the ice was in , the next morning we got up and it was wide open, the winds had changed a cleaned out the ice.

The locals must have the data on how many days a year it is safe and solid.

RR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts