Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to upgrade an ignition on a 98 600 or 700 twin, to get perc?
I haven't heard of anyone doing this but i as wondering if theres a kit available, and from who. I mean its the same basic twin right??

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
actually i believe that this is possible... check on snowest, there are some guys over there who have stated how to do this...

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by bonz50@Oct 18 2005, 10:18 AM
actually i believe that this is possible...  check on snowest, there are some guys over there who have stated how to do this...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=937392
[/quote]
Polaris never put PERC on a non VES motor.

You would need a digital ignition system that has got an ignition curve that works with the non VES motor. They also have different flywheels and stator.

They never put on a sled with the Kehin D Slide

Polaris even had to play around with the fuel delivery of the TM38 carb, putting in adjustable air jets to get it right.

You need a backward running water pump, and oil pump, and even recoil starter (so you don't tear everything up if you pull the rope on a motor running backward.)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
not the point PSD... i KNOW they never installed it as a factory option... doesn't mean it can't be retro fitted... and yes it CAN be retro'd to the old non-ves motors... it's just damn expensive to do... prolly cost ya upwards of 1000 bucks to do it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wonder how much diff the timing curve is??? is the water pump actually different?? and the oil pump? i guess the 2003 pro-x's came perc ready?? oil pump, water pump, helix? funny they never added the 5 cent bulb 2 dollar switch and different programmed box. Probablly would have sold a couple more sleds, more so then they made on the aftermarket kit and selling as a factory option?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by danoptex@Oct 19 2005, 12:57 PM
wonder how much diff the timing curve is??? is the water pump actually different?? and the oil pump? i guess the 2003 pro-x's came perc ready?? oil pump, water pump, helix? funny they never added the 5 cent bulb 2 dollar switch and different programmed box. Probablly would have sold a couple more sleds, more so then they made on the aftermarket kit and selling as a factory option?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940572
[/quote]
The reason I mentioned those things as being different is because they are actually different.

That is why it is more money/work to retro the kit to most 2002 liquid domestic twins. The 03 Pro-X PERC kit contains a different tach, CDI wiring harness, main wiring harness, Left-hand switch assembly and CDI box.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
that stuff notwithstanding, PERC does not REQUIRE a reverse flowing coolant pump (you don't sit in reverse for more than a minute or two at low speed anyway right??) and you could PROLLY get away without the reverse oil pump as well since you're only talking about 30 seconds or so at most... the stator and ignition are the biggest parts that need to be changed on teh old motors... ya it's a lot of work and very expensive... it would be cheaper to sell the sled and buy a newer one that was already prepped for it imho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts