Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas-
I admittedly have never been inside a secondary until today. I need some help and clarification here. My old secondary had a silver/blue spring... round nickel plated plate on the outboard side of the clutch was pointing to 4...

My PERC kit I am trying to finish up installing, came with a black/green spring.... there are no "nubs" on the end of the spring to engage in a hole.... the old button type did have the nubs. The uncompressed length of the black/green is much longer than the silver/blue...

How do I correctly assembly my new secondary? Do I need to grease or neverseize anything on the rollers of the new one? What could really bite me in the ass here that I would only find out I did wrong once I finally got out to ride!? Thanks!! :beerchug:

PS- There is what appears to be a windage plate on my old clutch, the new one did not come with the plates... I suppose I will use the old ones..shouldnt hurt anything. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
you need to take your windage plates from your old clutch and put them on the new one.

Like yourself, I was wondering where the little tabs were. After conversing with another more knowledgeable member on here, it was determined that it did not need the tabs. So, basically I just compressed it on, no way to pre-load the spring. Make sure you have an extra hand when you compress the spring, makes life a little easier. I did not have a real good way to compress the spring, so I used a large chanel lock that could spread enough to get the locking ring on.

I have not taken the time to check my other Team clutch to see if is the same way.

So, if this is wrong, the wife will be in the same boat as you.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks but that wasnt comforting... :lol2: The wife might not be very happy.

So no preload? I can just slam it together. What is holding all the spring compression...just the snap ring? I have a few teflon washers... I dont know where those go.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
WELL,AFTER A YEAR OF PLAYING WITH yhat SEC ,
there are arrows or X's on the sheave edge that have to line up,if you got the plastic washers,put them both on the helix side,dont fit on the sheave side,{stupid}
then the rest of the install is the same,
after some miles youll see that spring grinding out the center part of the spring pocket on the helix

theres a option of a blk/yel spring also,slightly stronger,
and if you need a more agreesive helix,there isnt one,

but i had a slp FP 50-34 cut to work with perc with a blk/yellow , if your ever interested
didnt grind on the helix either

the clutch is a compreesion spring type,no spring tabs for torsional pressure,reverse purposes

i WOULD leave the windage plates off ,for better cooling
no need to grease the rollers or ramps,just the inner dia of the helix

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks XC- Is the helix you had available through SLP or did you get it from them and then have it cut? I am hoping I have an OK setup to start off with this season and am at least ballpark of where I need to be.

SLP single
Tempaflow (in progress)
SLP air horn
one flowrite
10-66's.. Al/blue
R-12 Green/black (tenatively)
boyesen reeds
1-1/4" ripsaw
96 studs (ordering)

I think thats it for now.... anyone speak up if it sounds out of order.. :dunno: :div20:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
i bought the helix,had a buddy cut in the reverse notches,perc worked perfect,

youll be close on the set-up,i ran 66,s 50-34,blk/yellow,440, tempa flow,1" track 144 studs,alm /red, slp single,,air horn,and a modified air plenum.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats good to know I will be close..... and when you say close, I will be able to get her over a hundred and 80 will come quickly as normal right...!? :beerchug: :div20:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Xc Special@Oct 10 2005, 08:47 PM
i bought the helix,had a buddy cut in the reverse notches,perc worked perfect,

youll be close on the set-up,i ran 66,s 50-34,blk/yellow,440, tempa flow,1" track 144 studs,alm /red, slp single,,air horn,and a modified air plenum.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920912
[/quote]

I have to look but arent the notches just a straight cut? Did your buddy do it on CNC or just a milling machine? I have access to a milling machine on the ship.... :div20:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
milling machine,

my pol roller and helixs,ER,springs is for sale im using a team now

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can someone please help me out on how to get this together...

I was in the garage trying to... damn, there is alot of spring force there to hold down. I have two white plastic washers that fit perfect against the helix, another metal washer fits against the sheave. The metal washer seems like it will be able to just float around inside the spring coils though when the clutch is opening up. I have another two thin washers that go between the sheaves, and another thick one. :dunno:

I did give a dealer a call to see what it would take to get it together. They said an hour labor possibly more... :banghead: What special tools are required? It seems like if I could hold the spring force down with the helix, you then need to get the snap ring on while holding. Pretty hard to do with only two hands. I have a jig that is set on a 3/4" pipe that i was trying to compress against the helix but I run into trouble with it holding the helix straight to get on the shaft. I dont want to end up galling something. :help: :doh: :beerchug:

Edit: The spring I am trying to get in must be like 2" longer than the old one..... :dunno:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a piece of tubing with a piece of plate welded on one end similar to the photo in the previous post but I just use a drill press to compress the spring.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice thanks for the tips fellas... Allthread is kind of what I had in mind. What about all the washers??? I have the parts manual for the 03 XC but the button clutch is shown and the parts depictions arent exactly clear. I have the 2 plastic washers, and the other steel one that fits inside the spring coils...I am not sure that is where it is supposed to be. I did see someone mention earlier about the spring fretting away at the helix because there are no nubs on the spring.... is it normal for the spring to just ride right against the sheave? It seems like some bad wearing going on there... :dunno: Great help so far... :beerchug: Just have to figure out the washers & spacers..... say worst case scenario, I put the wrong or forget a washer somewhere.... will that be real bad!?? :frech32:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
there wasnt a washer for the spring in the sheave end,in my kit,if the spring dosnt sit on it and rotate, its not meant to be there,it MIGHT fit between the 2 plastic washers to help rotate rather then plastic on plastic ???

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
12 yrs is old is a little young,

congrats,just remember the good times you "USE" to have sledding, LOL

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks XC.. it was a great time. She has never been snowmobiling before but really likes sitting on mine while I am trying to figure out this secondary!! :beerchug: Still dont know about those washers.... :dunno:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts