Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever used penzoil???i thought i read a post and someone has been using it for years..i checked it out tc3 and says meets all manufacturer specs..just wondering..just a thought..only $3.00 per quart. :mellow:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
the 100% synthetic is 19.87 a gallon at walmart , i use it in my boat along with most racers that race the mer efi race outboards spinning 8500+ rpm's . the top engine builders reccomend it in the outboard 2 stroke industry . i never thought about it in my sled though, maybe i should.!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have been burning it for years in my boat(FICHT motor) and my sleds, No problems.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My boat mechanic told me it was the worst possible oil to run in my outboard. Johnson 200. He says since its fully synthetic that the gaskets dont seal well in the long haul. Natural Petroleum based oil seals the gaskets better but it doesn't lubricate as well. He says to use only Synthetic blended oils such as Quicksilver premium plus or Evninrude Fitch oil.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats true for breaking in a motor, you dont want to run straight synthetic, use dino oil or a blend, but once everything has taken a set then straight syn is still the best option.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
car oil and 2 stroke oil is totally different.

as for boats go to screamandfly.com and ask all the high performance outboard builders,racers,and users what oil to run ! hehehehe you may be very surprised . jay "hitman" smith spins merc 2.5's in the 9500-10,000 rpm range and never had an oil related failure in all the years he raced .......others have the same results .
i spin my 2.5 efi merc in the 8500 and depending on the prop i have on at the time the speed will be anywhere from 110-120 mph , so far no problems ! god i love my stv ! :wub:

·
Registered
394 Posts
He must get a big sponsor ckeck from penz. , And I would have to wonder if he puts GOOD oil in the penz. jug, before he dumps it in!
Cause it's JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
besides you saying so , do you have any documented proof on why pennzoil is "junk" ?? like i said go to screamandfly.com and see what everyone in the country thinks about the 100% synthetic .

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
any one know how i can get my 200 johnson to go faster? I had a 175 evinrude with a 15x15 prop. The went with 200 johnson and 15x17. Should i have stuck with the old prop? My boat only goes 35mph. It used to do about 34 until the motor went bad.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
by a merc 2.5 efi youll go a LOT faster ! i hate to say this again but go to www.screamandfly.com ,there is so much info on outboards there it will make your head spin ! :wacko: lots of nice people and a lot of forum get togethers as well. wish i could help but 200 johnsons i know nothing about, give s&f a try though !

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yes all my Drag 2.5 Merc with SVS gets in Pen. 100%syn. i spin my Merc 9,000+RPM.(32-1) It is the only oil that my MERc. will ever see! F-5 Snowpro is RIGHT!!! BIG TIME!!
Skydog P.S. Sit down and shut up!!

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
You get what you pay for...

Klotz TC-W3 2-Stroke Snowmobile Oil has been rated #1 by many Snowmobile Mags. It is the cleanest burning I have found, and it keeps APVs clean.

They are also one of the few that make a 4-Stroke Lube for sleds.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
4 stroke lube for sleds... hum... cant i just go down to auto zone and pick up some 0w-20w mobile synthetic or different weight.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
im not saying either way about using penn in the sled, but i do use the 100%syn in my boat and dont have any oil related issues at all. i use klotz in my sled because its just what i use . in the boat i use penn . to say an oil is "junk" or it "sucks" you better have some sort of documentation on why before you make comments so others can learn the reasons why . i stopped using amsoil because it would build up a slimy sludge like substance in the pipe after a season of racing along with my customers that use it, does that make it bad? no, but i just figured the motor was not making enough heat to do a full burn on it,thats all. i do know this, i wont run anything but penzoill in my merc !!!

·
HCS Advertiser
334 Posts
f5 snopro
You should run a tank of Klotz thru the outboard and see how that does for you. I think you would be happy with its performance. You could use 1 oil for both seasons.
I have had alot of sled ridin customers start running Klotz in their outboards and have been very happy with the results. Most of them, unlike you, were running dino oil in the boat, so they had a noticible difference. The drawback in running it in your boat is the sweet aroma would start to make your thumb itch and before you know it, you will be wearing a helmet driving the boat.....it makes the wait for winter that much longer!! :D

Rick

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i am goin with the amsoil ive never heard of any problems with amsoil, people are brand loyal to amsoil as much as people are loyal to harleys (like myself), and its cheaper to boot. it is synthetic and is for racing engines. arctic cat calls for synthetic so thats what i use. i am a little leary about running synthetics in anything that was made to use dino oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts