Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a 70 mile loop out of Apsley today. E107 (north of McQuigge (609) trail) & TOP E (south of clubhouse) had been groomed. The 619 to Chandos had been groomed. Chandos has not been staked yet. We just turned around on the lake where the trail ends.

The Silent Lake & Cardiff trail south of E110 were groomed & in good shape.

Now for the bad news IMO, I'd avoid E110 west of Cardiff. Freymond Lumber of Bancroft is logging in the Thunderbird Rd area & the trail was a mess. Rather than cut on either side of the trail & minimize crossing the trail (like the logger did along TOP E north of Hwy. 28 a few years back), they're using the trail as a skid road. You could see 2' deep ruts from the skidder. After the mild weather that's forecast this week this stretch will be brutal. There were a lot of marked trees west of where they are currently logging so I think they'll be there for a while.

It should've been groomed Friday night after the logging was done for the week. E110 didn't improve until we got to the Saunders Trail (#617).

Last weekend the parking lot @ the Pheasant was jammed & the access for sleds was partially blocked. If are looking for a place to park, there is space for about 4 trucks (trailer parking not advised) @ the end of Tucker Road. It's about 5 mins north of Apsley. I've also seen trucks & trailers parked by the fire hall on 28 @ the top of the Silent Lake Trail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We did a 70 mile loop out of Apsley today. E107 (north of McQuigge (609) trail) & TOP E (south of clubhouse) had been groomed. The 619 to Chandos had been groomed. Chandos has not been staked yet. We just turned around on the lake where the trail ends.

The Silent Lake & Cardiff trail south of E110 were groomed & in good shape.

Now for the bad news IMO, I'd avoid E110 west of Cardiff. Freymond Lumber of Bancroft is logging in the Thunderbird Rd area & the trail was a mess. Rather than cut on either side of the trail & minimize crossing the trail (like the logger did along TOP E north of Hwy. 28 a few years back), they're using the trail as a skid road. You could see 2' deep ruts from the skidder. After the mild weather that's forecast this week this stretch will be brutal. There were a lot of marked trees west of where they are currently logging so I think they'll be there for a while.

It should've been groomed Friday night after the logging was done for the week. E110 didn't improve until we got to the Saunders Trail (#617).

Last weekend the parking lot @ the Pheasant was jammed & the access for sleds was partially blocked. If are looking for a place to park, there is space for about 4 trucks (trailer parking not advised) @ the end of Tucker Road. It's about 5 mins north of Apsley. I've also seen trucks & trailers parked by the fire hall on 28 @ the top of the Silent Lake Trail.[/b]
I was throught there on friday and they were working there than. Skidder was all over the place terring it up bad. Rode home from bancroft friday morning to west of fenelon falls and other than that area trails were mint. Have not seen that much snow this early in a long time.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Good report, too bad about the logging I always wondered why they need to make such a mess of the roads/trails, but the almighty dollar prevails.

Keep us posted in the area, always good to know the right spots to avoid. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Loggers are ass holes. Brain dead.
Rev, what are you guys doing out on the trails when it's so mild?? This is how they get all rutted and chewed to shit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Loggers are ass holes. Brain dead.
Rev, what are you guys doing out on the trails when it's so mild?? This is how they get all rutted and chewed to shit.[/b]
if you don't like loggers try using plastic toilet paper`......asshole

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
if you don't like loggers try using plastic toilet paper`......asshole[/b]
Maybe I'll just use your hand.

Were you there? You have no ides the situation he is talking about. I was.

Sorry, maybe I should have been more specific. These loggers were assholes....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have a problem w/ loggers as the guys that have logged on our property kept the mess to a minimum. If the guy that logged north of 28 could keep clear of the trail, why couldn't this bunch? It's in a open hardwoods so it's not like there is only 1 way thru the bush.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the groomer has been on the south end of the McQuigge Trail.

·
Registered
277 Posts
put 130kms on today on the paudash system, trails were in awesome shape but starting to get rough later in the day, I wouldnt ride until thursday now though, we started at the clubhouse and did the Misquobi (spelling) loop and a few other little loops. Not a whole lot of sleds out today but still busy enough we passed one group at the lk st peter turn off that must of had 25 sleds in the group. E107 just south of the clubhouse has a major washout along the homestead road.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Why is it that people feel they need to ride when it's so bloody warm out?? All this does is wreck the trails/base!! Leave it be until it cools down and maybe the trails will survive this warm spell. I'll probably be cursing the guys that were out today come next weekend. :cussing:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aw heck I guess we shoulda tried going there yesterday. Really missing the OC board there Revrnd1 for the regional updates.
Kerry

·
Registered
277 Posts
>>>>>>>>>Why is it that people feel they need to ride when it's so bloody warm out?? All this does is wreck the trails/base!! Leave it be until it cools down and maybe the trails will survive this warm spell. I'll probably be cursing the guys that were out today come next weekend.

Its suppose to be +10 for 2 days and rain, there wont be much if anything left, if it was only one day of say +5 and a little rain well then im sure people would stay off the trails but right now there is over 2.5 feet of snow on the paudash system and the base is gonna be wrecked eitherway. Get out and ride well we have it, no need for himming and hawwing hoping the trails will be ok after 2 days of rain and +10. Ive got close to 1000km already this on my sled. I wont be running tommorow though.........thats just asking for a blown motor and new carbides

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think we abused the trails. The temp was below freezing when we left @ 11 AM & the high was only +2. When we got back to Apsley around 4:30 E107 was still in good shape.

Regardless if we were riding, the mess that the loggers are making is inexcusable. It's 1 thing if the trail uses a forest access road that they're using to haul loads out of the bush. Using a "off the road" trail as a skidway is just being lazy.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Its suppose to be +10 for 2 days and rain, there wont be much if anything left, if it was only one day of say +5 and a little rain well then im sure people would stay off the trails but right now there is over 2.5 feet of snow on the paudash system and the base is gonna be wrecked eitherway. Get out and ride well we have it, no need for himming and hawwing hoping the trails will be ok after 2 days of rain and +10. Ive got close to 1000km already this on my sled. I wont be running tommorow though.........thats just asking for a blown motor and new carbides[/b]
And just why do you think the base gets shot? Because they will get chewed to shit in the warm temps. It always happens, when it's mild the trails get rough and the rocks come thru. And the clubs will not be grooming again until it gets cold and things freeze up again. Yes, there is about 2 1/2 feet in the bush and even if we preserve a good ice base of 6" is that not better than nothing? IMO, a little restraint now will go a lot farther in the long run but maybe that's just me.

P.S - it was not below zero at 11am this morning. We left the area around 9:00 and everything was wet and the snow was packing so there's no way the temp was even close to being below zero.

And yes, the loggers are complete :cussing: ass hats.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have to agree woth H2L..if we ride the trails this week they're gonna be screwed and we'll be starting all over again...I'm not into the theory of " ride it while we have it " when we are going to have such a shitty spell...one week won't hurt. I rode out of Tory hill yesterday...went to Coe Hill, Cardiff, Bancroft...trails were mint except the area that is being logged...it's a mess! I can't imagine riding today in the fog an mild crap....when I left Tory Hill today at 11:30 it was +3 and you could just tell this will kill the trails if we ride them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bad, it was yesterday not today we rode. I have no idea why I posted we rode today. Had the sled thawing out in the shed to grease. No once the temps are above freezing I stay off. Besides, w/ the fog we had today there wouldn't have been much to see. I have no idea if there was anyone parked over @ the Pheasant.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just for everyone's information Freymonds have been contacted and asked to refrain from skidding on the trail itself. We all need to be careful on what we say as both Paudash and many of the other clubs in the area cross property owned by this generous family (a lot of property). It should also be noted that when they are done logging we will be left with a wider trail and a small new section of trail that will eliminate some road running on the Thunderbird. E-110 was groomed from end to end Saturday night, although were not sure why we bothered as there were many hot heads out ripping things up behind the groomer all night long. I guess the moguls they left are what we get to enjoy once things stiffen up again later in the week.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
If there is anything left to stiffen up (other than maybe a drink). I'm not so sure that the trails are going to survive this mild spell. :wall:
+8 fukking degrees for the low tonight! :wtf: :cussing: :mother_nature: whore!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the noon 980 KRUZ news out of Peterborough the OFSC is saying that all trails are closed. I hope everyone will stay off the trails until the temps drop. Mind you w/ the number of clowns driving in the fog w/ no lights on (a rant for later), I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
While the conditions yesterday (Sunday) were definitely deteriorating, the trails were still passable and not getting ripped up, AS LONG AS you drove "nice". Myself and a couple friends rode with our girlfriends from the cottage, up the E trail past the clubhouse, upto Harcourt. The trails had obviously been groomed overnight Saturday/Sunday, as they were nice and smooth. We had lunch at Harcourt then doubled back, and the trails were no worse for the wear on the way back. However, it wouldn't have taken much hot-dogging to make a mess of them either :rolleyes:.

Seeing as conditions weren't gonna get any better today though, we packed up and came home early. Oh yeah, and that wash-out just south of the club-house was pretty huge!! Good thing it's not too far up the road to by-pass it. Hopefully this mild weather is short-lived and followed by some good COLD again afterward?!?! :hmm:

Oh, and in case anyone is curious about the lake??? Can you say SLUSHY?!?!?! Stay OFF, or stay ON (the throttle! :D).

Hopefully we can all be back out there in another ~week or two?!? :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah, and that wash-out just south of the club-house was pretty huge!! Good thing it's not too far up the road to by-pass it.[/b]
Where's this? Is it over by the road behind Dyno Estates? There was a hole there earlier this winter. The only spot where I saw that there might be a washout was on the forest access road (TOP E) south of 28. The beaver have the water running over it about 1/2 way to Tallan's Lake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts