Hardcore Sledder banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same . The 850 felt like a slug compared to my 270 winder. For a two stroke both the 650 and 850 are great motors. The 650 with its smooth powerband was the choice for trail. We liked it so much we ordered one for my wife. I am sure I will also ride it on the tight trail days when she doesn’t go out.
Just sold my 2020 ltx le With td multi map dash flash and all the supporting mods. Ordered up an Indy XCR 850 for this coming season. I demoed an 850 assault b 4 buying the winder. I’m sure I’ll notice the power difference as I always trial rode the winder at 290 on max spool 17. Was crazy fun power but pay for the weight of the sled trying to keep up with 850’s in the twisters. Been on Yamaha 4 stoke since 2005 so looking forward to a sled that’s 150 lbs lighter, looking for a better feeling body after a hard 200+ mile day attacking the trail.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think where the power hits on the 650 engine is really what makes it feel lively and fast. The mid range on the 650 is what puts a smile on my face. I was impressed with my VR1 650 that I went and ordered a XCR 650.
Definitely, the mid range punch is very impressive. And that mid range is where you're at most of time on trail.

·
Registered
2021 Matryx VR1 650 Blue and Silver; 2002 Indy 500; 1993 Indy Trail Deluxe (original owner)
14 Posts
A group of us were in Northern WI in March - the trails were a little thin and it was a really warm day - we went to a Vintage Snowmobile show at a local tavern.
Low and behold, the local dealer had a VR1 650 129 and a VR1850 137 as demos. We all took a test ride on the lake.
I already had the opportunity to ride a VR1 850 for a weekend, but wanted to try the 650 - knowing that I would be getting one in a couple of weeks. I am not disappointed in my choice.

One of the guys rides a little older Ski Doos (didn't really know the ins and outs of the Polaris line) and after riding both of them said: "That 850 is a beast! You can tell the power difference compared to the 800." I pointed out that it was actually a 650 - he looked at me kinda funny and replied; "Well that's impressive!"
We all agreed; the 650 is a perfect trail sled - plenty of power for lakes and open trails, but more manageable in the trails - The 850 is a troublemaker! LOL

·
Registered
396 Posts
A group of us were in Northern WI in March - the trails were a little thin and it was a really warm day - we went to a Vintage Snowmobile show at a local tavern.
Low and behold, the local dealer had a VR1 650 129 and a VR1850 137 as demos. We all took a test ride on the lake.
I already had the opportunity to ride a VR1 850 for a weekend, but wanted to try the 650 - knowing that I would be getting one in a couple of weeks. I am not disappointed in my choice.

One of the guys rides a little older Ski Doos (didn't really know the ins and outs of the Polaris line) and after riding both of them said: "That 850 is a beast! You can tell the power difference compared to the 800." I pointed out that it was actually a 650 - he looked at me kinda funny and replied; "Well that's impressive!"
We all agreed; the 650 is a perfect trail sled - plenty of power for lakes and open trails, but more manageable in the trails - The 850 is a troublemaker! LOL
Same thing on my demo ride of the 22's in March. Both 650s were missing the "6" because they were pre production units. One guy got off and said "that 850 is strong!" He was blown away when they told him it was the 650.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Did you line them up for a race, if so, let's hear how they compared?

·
Super Moderator
10,381 Posts
After hearing of some of the B.S. I heard about the 650, so I took mine to a 600 ft. radar run. I only entered the stock 700 class, thinkin I'd run my 840 more.
Once I won the 700 Stock class, I hurried up and entered the 700 Trail Stock class, won that too. I wish I would have entered more classes. I was running better times than the 800 class, and even some of the 850's.

600 feet on ice. 96 studs, cobra track, my clutching.

·
Registered
2021 Matryx VR1 650 Blue and Silver; 2002 Indy 500; 1993 Indy Trail Deluxe (original owner)
14 Posts
We did not, but my son in law had the 850 up to 106 on the dream meter and I had the 650 up to 89 - it had a bit more, but I had a crappy ill fitting testing helmet on and it was buffeting like crazy.
If I had to extrapolate from experience - I would say the 650 will hang close to 50 or so, then the 850 walks away . . .
That's all I need!!

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,137 Posts
After hearing of some of the B.S. I heard about the 650, so I took mine to a 600 ft. radar run. I only entered the stock 700 class, thinkin I'd run my 840 more.
Once I won the 700 Stock class, I hurried up and entered the 700 Trail Stock class, won that too. I wish I would have entered more classes. I was running better times than the 800 class, and even some of the 850's.

What were the rules difference between Trail Stock, and Stock? SWDRA used to have both years ago. Trail was meant for bring them out of the barn guys. No tieing down, cooldown carts, etc.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts

Well done.
We'll have to talk about clutching sometime this summer.

Reactions: sledhead Dan

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 650 with the Storm track and had it up to 97 mph on a railroad bed in Maine. I think it had a little more left but I was running out of room and had to let off. Not sure how accurate the speedometer is? Might be off 4-5 mph?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a 650 with the Storm track and had it up to 97 mph on a railroad bed in Maine. I think it had a little more left but I was running out of room and had to let off. Not sure how accurate the speedometer is? Might be off 4-5 mph?
That's pretty good with the storm.
I got one up to 80-85mph on an icy lake before I chickened out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best sounding triple was a 650 with aftermarket pipes. It was a 2 stroke symphony. Nothing like it since. It was music through the woods.
Would strongly disagree with that statement. A piped 2002 SRX is the sweetest sound on snow. Nothing like a Yamaha triple triple triple. I’m new to Polaris for next year, leaving Yamaha after 25 years... we will see. Lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well the turbo 650 will put the end to the 850!
Still think that is where they should head for the flat land sleds. If it can run on 87 and easy on throttle... great gas mileage. If they can boost it enough to get 20 more hp I think they would have something about everybody would be happy with.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,137 Posts
Still think that is where they should head for the flat land sleds. If it can run on 87 and easy on throttle... great gas mileage. If they can boost it enough to get 20 more hp I think they would have something about everybody would be happy with.
Key word about. Will never happen

81 - 100 of 146 Posts