Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,137 Posts
Beat me to it! Lol. I said 138hp last spring after riding the pre production models. Such an awesome little engine!
Yes you did and I disputed it, and wiil still be a little skeptical till I see a well broken in one tested at Dyno Tech. Really a down year riding for me. Hopefully next winter is better. I will throw a little more weigh at it. 10-68 because I have them, and go from there.

·
Registered
2021 VR-1 650 137"
110 Posts
As most of us know depending on the dyno, test condtions, sled and dyno operator numbers will vary. So those that want it to have less hp will call out those dyno runs and those that want it to have more hp will use what best proves their point. It would benefit companies like D&D to have less stock hp and make that much more with their pipe or products. So to me a 4hp gain with their pipe seems at least possilbe or reasonable.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It’s a dyno... they’re all different. But the 138 sure does seem more on par with how my stock 650 performed all winter. Neck and neck with some cat 800s, keeps up very well with 850s on the trails and leaves the 600s behind it fairly easy. People can pick whatever numbers they want. It’s faster than the 600s and slower than the 850s. But My experience has been it’s closer to staying with an 800 than it is from a 600 keeping up with it.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,307 Posts
Yes you did and I disputed it, and wiil still be a little skeptical till I see a well broken in one tested at Dyno Tech. Really a down year riding for me. Hopefully next winter is better. I will throw a little more weigh at it. 10-68 because I have them, and go from there.
Yeah it's a dyno so who knows, but it still makes some respectable numbers. I will definitely be throwing some more weight in mine, I mean the wife's lol. Probably need to add a few more studs also.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Love it! Very impressive engine and a joy to ride. Can't wait to get mine. After riding the 2022s it felt as fast or faster than my 2011 800. After doing some digging I found the 2011 800s made around 144ish HP.

With the extra torque and 3 stage exhaust valves the 650 felt a lot stronger and not nearly as peaky as my 800 did.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
Not really sure what happened with the shootout 650? Kubeckas was going to get some miles on it and return to dyno tech and see what a fully broken in 650 could do. It’s possible they sold the sled before they had a chance to put any miles on it, sled sales were crazy this past season.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
It's a great lil engine. will smoke a 850 in the twisties, beats many 800's and even some 850's to 660. I love mine on the tight twisties. Love my 850 in the wide open.
My observations are right inline with yours. It stays out front of stock clutched 800’s well past 660’ and is able to hit speedo readings of 104-105 on some of the big trail straights a ways.

Home run for Polaris.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Yup I liked mine so much I ordered a 22 xcr 650. The wife will be keeping her 21 650 as it has less than 200 miles on it.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,137 Posts
I remember not all that long ago you needed pipes, compression and pocket full of main jets to have a 138 HP Indy 650. It was an almost unrideable beast that tried to kill you every time the trail turned right or left. The good old days!
But the sound from a triple when piped and crisply tuned is still magical.

·
Registered
206 Posts
But the sound from a triple when piped and crisply tuned is still magical.
I’ve never owned a triple unfortunately. Fell in love with the sound of any triple through a single pipe. One of the latest crazes is building Boondocker Yamaha Phazers. I’m putting the parts together now to build an Exciter with a 700 redhead as a Boondocker. Then I’ll have my sled I can beat on an check my “own a triple” box.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts