Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who just bought a pantera 1000 i belive its a 99 or 2000. it has 1800 miles and is in good shape. What are some of the things he should look at with this sled. Where there any problem with this sled. Thank for the help

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've got a 2000 pantera. About all I can say is check the anti-freeze level and see if it's weeping out the water pump hole on the bottom of the pump. Just slide your hand down there and feel if it's wet. Also if it smokes alot then the oil pump might have to be adjusted under the carbs. Mine did.

I love this sled. Don't have to worry about the wife fallen off the back of this one and still has power.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a buddy who just bought a pantera 1000 i belive its a 99 or 2000. it has 1800 miles and is in good shape. What are some of the things he should look at with this sled. Where there any problem with this sled. Thank for the help[/b]
Probably a '00...if it's a 1000? Arctic Cat produced the Pantera 1000 for model years '00 & '01 only.

I own a '01 Pantera 1000. It's my wife's sled but I put the most mile's on it. :biggrin: We bought it new and currently has about 1500 miles on it.

So far it's been a very reliable, durable sled.....and we've had no issues with it. Great ride and fast as hell. Might be the fastest two up touring sled production sled ever made!

Things I would do if I was your buddy:

1. Clean carbs & clutchs

2. Check/inspect the rear suspension...grease all pivot points (use low temp grease), replace slides if worn thin, tighten all bolts, nuts, etc.

3. Drain chain case oil, remove cover and inspect chain and gears. Replace all suspect parts and put fresh chain case oil in.

4. Check front suspension - grease spindles, inspect/replace ski skags if needed.

I put ~ 144 studs in my track and replaced the factory ski skags with some 6" Woody Dually units. Other than that ours is stock. Gets around 10 mpg...depending on how you modulate the loud lever and truly is the "CATillac" of two up touring sleds. Did I mention it's fast as hell? LOL's

Hope this helps :ahappy:

JMY

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the help. The track is going to need replacing. What size is the track and will fit a 1.25 ripsaw. I think the track is 15x144 correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thank for the help. The track is going to need replacing. What size is the track and will fit a 1.25 ripsaw. I think the track is 15x144 correct me if im wrong.[/b]
The Cobra track seems to be the hot track these days.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thank for the help. The track is going to need replacing. What size is the track and will fit a 1.25 ripsaw. I think the track is 15x144 correct me if im wrong.[/b]

Track size is 15" wide x 136" long. A 1.25" depth lug track should fit no problem. :thumbsup:

Our particular Pantera 1000 is a "international" model and comes from the factory with a 1.25" track....so your buddy should have no issues if he wants to go that route.

JMY

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just replaced mine with 125 but havn't run yet. the long studs worry me only 3/8 clearance to the cooler. i lost my original track do to a shock failure. i put a new 3/4 w studs onlast yr but i got hooked on ski slope racing and decide to take the 2up apart and make a drag sled out of it.if it works i will be selling the 3/4 with studs. i ride the east coast. good luck with the sled

1 - 7 of 7 Posts