Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my skid out and torn apart, my plan is to paint all of the arms and brackets. Originally, I was going to have them powder coated but I decided I would save some $$$ and spray them all with an epoxy paint. I'm not looking for the finished product to be showroom quality, but I want them to look decent.

I have a few questions:
1) Should I worry about removing whats left of the original paint?
2) If I do remove the paint, what's the easiest way (sand blast, chemical paint remover, etc.)?
3) What's the best way to remove rust (there's not too much, mostly surface stuff)?
4) Should I prime before painting or just add more coats?

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
860 Posts
#1 - Yes
#2 - sandblasting
#3 - sandblasting will take care of that
#4 - Yes primer is the best way to go

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing to mine. I took the skid apart lastnight and will be doing alot of cleaning, painting, and replacing parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes clean them up good, sandblast them, prime and paint. You want to remove any oils before they get sandblasted just a little extra step to help the paint hold. The type of paint you want is a good quailty uurethane based paint, the stuff used on AIRCRAFT. There are many different names for it but any good automotive store can sell you it, you should use about a pint unreduced(makes about a quart reduced) I did my front arms on my 96 powder and they have taking a beating and still look good no chips yet after about 3500miles.

hope this helps and get a metal conditner to apply to bare metal then prime them so they last for many years to come.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There all right. I painted useing arctic cat metal green touch up. $11 bucks a spray can but it sticks good to steel. The rails look good but it doesn't stick as good on aluminium. A-arms are painted too. Look at my skid plate. I painted it green also. I know that paint will get scraped off this. I think it looks better than nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Definately sandblast them before you paint..it won't stick well or for long if you don't :div20:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm about to do the scheme with mine except in chrome (silver). Maybe I'll accent or airbrush it a little with green though.

Anybody know where I can get replacement decals in a silver/black scheme for the hood? I need some new numbers too. I'm not real good with the art stuff so if i can buy something someone else designed that'd be best but if i get a good design I'll custom make them.

currently 01 stock
[attachment=110097:attachment]

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
860 Posts
I just finished mine lastnight. It didn't turn out too bad. Sorry the pictures arn't that good.

Kruzer - How is/did yours turn out?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
i tried the epoxy paint thing before. the supplies cost almost as much as powdercoating and it will not hold up as good. to get the whole skid powdercoated (including rails) is usually under $150. here is mine done in black with chrome powdercoated rails.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished it up a week or so ago, got the suspension all put back together and in the sled. Got all the parts sandblasted for $20. I thought that was cool. Primed first then painted everything black. Looks good right now, but I have a sneeking suspision the first time I hit the trails it's all gonna come off. If it does, that's okay, I'll tear it apart this summer and have it powder coated. I guess the best thing was that I was able to replace all of the bushings that needed replacing. Sorry, don't have a pics.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Originally posted by splat10@Oct 27 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm about to do the scheme with mine except in chrome (silver).  Maybe I'll accent or airbrush it a little with green though.

Anybody know where I can get replacement decals in a silver/black scheme for the hood?  I need some new numbers too.  I'm not real good with the art stuff so if i can buy something someone else designed that'd be best but if i get a good design I'll custom make them.

currently 01 stock
[attachment=110097:attachment]

Thanks,
Steve
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=961816
[/quote]

Try ArcticFx Graphics for your decals. Member & sponsor on this site.

Here is my rear skid powdercoated & my front. The chome look is the ceramic high heat for exhaust. The billet wheels are Wahl Bros. All fasteners are stainless unless a better grade was needed, then they are Grade 8 chromed bolts. All this work including coating the exhaust (minus the billet idlers) was only $250 and took a week :augen41:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts