Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got an F5 the hood is all like different shades because of plastic welding I was wondering if anyone would paint there hood on their own. Im completly clueless as to what to do, I would want to use a good spray paint- possible?

I was thinking sanding, coats, clear coat?

And I want to paint my A arms white also, I was thinking the same sand, paint, clear?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
906 Posts
It will never look really good unless you do it right................rattle can is not the proper way, it will be very easy to tell it was done with a spray can.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will never look really good unless you do it right................rattle can is not the proper way, it will be very easy to tell it was done with a spray can.[/b]
just thinking that myself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A rattle can is not the right way to paint the hood or A arms on your Firecat, but you can paint it and not be able to tell the difference between Spray Can or Spray Gun they are both the same thing paint under pressure coming out of a nozzle in a mist yes there is more adjustability in a gun but it is still the same thing. The main thing to remember when using a spray can is to use long even passes over the entire length or width of the item being painted if you start side to side stay side to side if you start top to bottom stay top to bottom, keep the paint can a good 4-6 inches away from the object being painted and remember not to try getting complete coverage on the first coat you may need 2 or 3 coats to get complete coverage or maybe more. You might need to get 2 cans of colour depending on the size of the cans and the colour you are trying to paint over if its a dark colour and you want to go with a lighter colour you might need a primer first, Aprimer is a good idea anyway because it will help the colour adhere better to the part you are painting. Scuffing the part first is always a good idea you can use something like 1000 grit sand paper and go over the entire part to be painted A good rule of thumb to go by is to get rid of any shiny spots make sure you get into the tightest of corners and ridges because this will be the first spot the paint will lift if you dont. Once you have sanded and and primed the entire piece scuff it again so the paint sticks to the primer better spray your colour on in a couple coats let it dry and then spray on some clear (not always needed but will help protect the paint). If you have Waxed the piece or it has come in contact with grease make sure you wipe it down with a wax remover and degreaser and keep it clean thru the entire process (no greasy work bench or oily fingers). Make sure you are working in a room temperture dust free enviroment for the best results. I would use Dupli color for a project like this, if you prefer something else make sure all paints are compatible, it sucks having to start over again because two paints cant be used together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts