Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,093 Posts
You can eliminate the engine brake on them by modifying that bearing. Much easier on the belt, harder on the brake pads though.
The sled should be a good setup, I see no down side other than maintenance on the bearing itself.
I like engine brake if you are speaking of back shift? Comes in quite handy coming into corners and especially down steep hills.To take away all back shift and replace it with only braking doesn't sound great to me? Maybe, but I don't know about that?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
even that clutch could not handle any more boost then what the sled will come with. Chris Burant was blowing one a day up running more boost. the p-22 is a RZR clutch. it will take a HRP or MICRO BELMONT to run more boost on these. you know the after market is already toying with this.
Was blowing what “one a day” the belt or the clutch? My friend who I ride sxs with often has a boosted turbo RZR pro. He has approx 3500 km and is on his second belt...and original clutch. He’s running about 230HP setup and is not easy on it

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I like engine brake if you are speaking of back shift? Comes in quite handy coming into corners and especially down steep hills.To take away all back shift and replace it with only braking doesn't sound great to me? Maybe, but I don't know about that?
I may not have been clear. On the atv I'm saying you can eliminate the engine braking. I know some of the early SxS guys wanted it gone, I was always kinda meh on it for the ATV. If you did everything wrong you could smoke the inner ribs off the belt from the dragging on the clutch on steep hills in HI range.

Engine brake on a sled would be useless in my opinion, wouldn't do much on a 2 stroke and there is enough drag on a sled on its own I wouldn't see the point. And I never intended to suggest there would be engine braking on the new sled clutch.

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,548 Posts
All I remember in that time frame with Arctic Cat was seeing all kinds of brand new flashy cats on the side of the trail with hoods up. If there isn't buddies with them I usually stop and ask if they need help. It was always a Belt. Then I started reading about belt failures here on HCS. A few years later one of my once in a while riding buddies was all happy to tell me he bought a new sled. When I heard what he bought I nicely said isn't that one of the models that blows belts all the time? He said NO this one still has the stock belt on it. I said, "Oh that's cool". We went riding and 30 miles out of town "BOOM" the belt blew to pieces. A little later that year he admitted I was right and that it blew so many belts he started buying the cheapest $60 belts he could find. Kept 3-4 belts with him at all times. I'm sure the P22 will be better than that. Anyways, I'm glad the BOOST guys are the ones Guinea Pigging that Boost system and P22 clutch system. Other than the newness of it I'm pretty excited to hear of both new POO innovations. Just hope they are all the hype they are said to be?
I had a 14 turbo with TD four stage tune that had a ferocious appetite for $180 belts no matter how much money a spent on remedies to fix the issue.

·
Registered
20,620 Posts
Didn’t the AC system have some sort of brace that fixed the clutch’s center-to-center distance too?
No arctic cats belt problem came about in 2012 when they added the tcl link to held the clutches together. The reason the early cats were blowing belts was some of the engines were not put in the chassis square and the tcl was to thin. By 2014 the belt issues were about gone, and once they went to the team system the belt issue was solved but getting top end speed has been hard. The reliability of the actual team clutches suck but the belt lasts.

·
Registered
20,620 Posts
Also the current cat drive system is basically the same thing Polaris has used on the rzr for years

·
Vendor
10,291 Posts
Was blowing what “one a day” the belt or the clutch? My friend who I ride sxs with often has a boosted turbo RZR pro. He has approx 3500 km and is on his second belt...and original clutch. He’s running about 230HP setup and is not easy on it
clutches. there were running 267h.p. to test the p-22. it' didn't hold up. not sure what the boost was? i have a customer that rides with burant every winter and was part of this testing.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,120 Posts
Here's some P22 Primary Clutch Eye Candy for you guys, we may be seeing this on Non-Turbo sleds, in the future.

Lighter cover, wider hinge point/heel for weights, larger spider buttons, larger rollers in spider. beefier spider mounted on splined shaft, but won't need to index it for belt clearance, or use a Grunt Tool to remove it. Weighs about 12 oz. less. Internal Torx for clutch mounting bolt, set deep into cover bushing. 78g weights on this prototype sled. No need for belt tension limiter set screw and lock nut, they are gone. Threaded hole in secondary clutch is still used for belt removal tool.

Closeup of the P22

The idler bearing is on the primary shaft in center of picture. Notice how tight/straight drive belt is. It has tension going around this bearing when at idle.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
On the ATV's Polaris used a one-way sprague type of bearing on the primary clutch "idler" bearing, so that they could have engine braking effect when going down a hill. Of course that would not work with a 2 stroke engine that runs backwards for reverse. As soon as the engine reversed, you would be going backward, NOW!
they had both 2 way and 1 way bearings depending on the application

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sign me up. I would order one in a heartbeat ! I'll even volunteer to be a test mule on my new 22 XCR flatlander sled. (y)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts