Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hit a rock tearing off exhaust outlet plate leaving a big opening in the belly pan on our last ride On a 2018 6000. We continued to ride that day with no issues but late in the day the trails deteriorated with the 50 degree temps causing slush to get packed around oil pump and exhaust. I got the code P1003 to show up on my gauge and eventually the motor went into limp mode and had to be towed to where we were staying. The motor is still getting oil and i am guessing the code come up because of the slush and water causing a short. Does a dealer have to clear this code to get it out of limp mode? Or how can I get this code cleared myself? Wire from oil pump to wiring harness is in perfect condition with no rub throughs.

edit to add
I replied to this post below after I brought sled to dealer
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check All the fuses. Our 2018 ZR6000 threw the same code. Had we checked the fuses, we would not have had to tow.
New fuse, code gone, 2500 miles later all is good.
No idea why the fuse blew. It just did. No wire breaks either.
Change the fuse, carry spares just in case, and ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check All the fuses. Our 2018 ZR6000 threw the same code. Had we checked the fuses, we would not have had to tow.
New fuse, code gone, 2500 miles later all is good.
No idea why the fuse blew. It just did. No wire breaks either.
Change the fuse, carry spares just in case, and ride.
i pulled all the fuses and looked at each one and all were good. Swapped the relays well.

i am guessing this code needs to be cleared by a dealer hooked up to laptop. I will call tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the machine is in limp mode right now. I will swap the 7.5 amp fuse out but it looks fine. Unfortunately I have pipe off as I changed chaincase oil as tomorrow I should be getting my new lower right skid panel and exhaust outlet and seal delivered so I can put it back together.
Assuming the fuse wasnt bad I am wanting to know if the code P1003 (oil pump outlier) needs to be cleared by the dealer once machine goes into limp mode ?
Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
80 Posts
..Assuming the fuse wasnt bad I am wanting to know if the code P1003 (oil pump outlier) needs to be cleared by the dealer once machine goes into limp mode ?
If the fuse is not bad, something else is causing the code.
I suppose the dealer could clear the code. But it will come back again until the reason for the code is corrected.
Highly doubt that clearing code will take it out of limp mode.

We were on a trip when the code P1003 (oil pump outlier) occured.
Call dealer. Said check fuses, check for broken wires, or oil pump has failed.
Our fix was a randomly blown oil pump fuse. Code cleared itself.
It's be over 2500 miles & the code has not returned.

Wish that I could help more. This appears to be is a very rare occurrence. Even according to our dealer.
Please keep us post as to you findings. And post pictures when you do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced fuse and still is running in limp mode. Maybe when the slush and water got on the oil pump and although the 2 wires going into the pump are sealed the pump could be giving me the repeated codes keeping it in limp mode. I ordered a used pump and will try that once it arrives. The wires all appear fine leaving fuse box going into the main harness and the 2 wires coming out of harness by chain case/ oil reservoir also look fine. I will update next week once the pump arrives and I get it installed.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 RR
2,382 Posts
My 2020 threw the P1003 (oil pump outlier) code.
It will clear its self and come out of limp mode when the issue is fixed.
I had a wiring harness go bad and the sled would go in and out of limp mode till the harness failed completely

I would guess something is still wet and shorting out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I brought the sled to dealer today when I finally was able to pick up my 2022 600RR to have him put it on the catscan tool. He updated the ecm with the new oil pump A and B address on oil pump tag and the machine accepted it. We thought that hopefully that was the issue but we started the sled and it still threw the P1003 code and now he believes it possibly is the ECM that is faulty that is causing the error. When an ECM goes bad are they garbage or can they be repaired and reflashed?

I brought the sled home with me not fixed…….

Next step for me would to try my 2022 ecm but it’s a different part number and see if the motor will go out of limp mode and clear code. See if someone can test my ECM & if a dealer can do it maybe I need to find another dealer. It looks like the ECM is unique to 2018 as 2019-2022 use a different pn

any suggestions appreciated as dealer claims he isn’t getting much support out of AC tech support.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,256 Posts
I brought the sled to dealer today when I finally was able to pick up my 2022 600RR to have him put it on the catscan tool. He updated the ecm with the new oil pump A and B address on oil pump tag and the machine accepted it. We thought that hopefully that was the issue but we started the sled and it still threw the P1003 code and now he believes it possibly is the ECM that is faulty that is causing the error. When an ECM goes bad are they garbage or can they be repaired and reflashed?

I brought the sled home with me not fixed…….

Next step for me would to try my 2022 ecm but it’s a different part number and see if the motor will go out of limp mode and clear code. See if someone can test my ECM & if a dealer can do it maybe I need to find another dealer. It looks like the ECM is unique to 2018 as 2019-2022 use a different pn

any suggestions appreciated as dealer claims he isn’t getting much support out of AC tech support.
Thanks
The 19 and up ecu controls the hand warmer controls on the gauge and the sled is wired different from the 18 and back so it probably won’t interchange. Usually when an ecu is bad they are junk.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 19 and up ecu controls the hand warmer controls on the gauge and the sled is wired different from the 18 and back so it probably won’t interchange. Usually when an ecu is bad they are junk.
thanks for the reply…..

Can ECU be tested? i won’t try my 22 ECU if the wiring is different and risk ruining or shorting out something. The 2017 and older is also listed as a different part number so it appears I maybe need to search for a 2018 model to swap with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tell me more on country cat? Do they have the equipment to test and pinpoint a bad ecm? I am closer to the factory than Country Cat
If they can't do it, nobody can.
Most state of the art facility I've seen to date.
Service bays look like hospital ER's. Just as clean too.
Give them a call, text them, or e-mail them.
They'll actually answer the phone, return texts, and respond to e-mails.
I know, strange right? Ha!

There are Arctic Cat Dealers 15 minutes, 45 minutes, and 1 hour from me.
Country Cat is about 1:45 from me. They are my dealer of choice.
Even if it was 2-3 hours, it would be well worth the trip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks my parts actually did come from them because they had them in stock. It’s unfortunate that you or others including myself have to drive by other dealers then we see a post on this forum that there are no Arctic Cat dealers left. I am at a loss at fixing this and its frustrating me so a call and an appointment maybe needed.

·
Registered
21,256 Posts
Thanks my parts actually did come from them because they had them in stock. It’s unfortunate that you or others including myself have to drive by other dealers then we see a post on this forum that there are no Arctic Cat dealers left. I am at a loss at fixing this and its frustrating me so a call and an appointment maybe needed.
Why didn’t you leave it with the dealer and have them fix it? It appears they did a quick re flash on the ecu hoping it would fix the issue with little time involved. It could be a bad pump, bad wiring harness, or some other weird problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Why didn’t you leave it with the dealer and have them fix it? It appears they did a quick re flash on the ecu hoping it would fix the issue with little time involved. It could be a bad pump, bad wiring harness, or some other weird problem.
Why didn’t leave the sled? Because they said they were to busy and couldn’t get to it for a couple months when I was there yesterday with the sled After they hooked it up to cat scan tool. I called them around the 25th of March to discuss the problem and said I wanted to drop it off when my new sled arrived but when you are a very small dealership with only one mechanic i had to take it back home with me. Am I happy about this? no…. With part shortages we were already down one sled this winter waiting on the RR and I don’t want to be down again this winter by waiting on parts I will either call Dakota Cat or Country Cat next week to get scheduled.

Edit to add. The pump was replaced with a used one so I doubt that the pump itself is bad as they aren’t very common to go bad and I really don’t believe mine was bad to begin with. There is power is going through the Final connection going to the pump. i have inspected complete wiring harness removing all silver heat shield tape and black loom where that is used to protect from rubbing and visually inspected wires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts