Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled (03 xc800sp) has 2k miles and I just replaced the speedo key/bearing and put in camoplast ice ripper while the track was dropped.
I went out last week for the first ride, temp was about 34 degrees and trail conditions were "snow cone" I started to overheat on a side trail about 15min into ride. Checked the temp in the hoses, engine hot and tunnel crossover hose was very warm. Let the sled cool and noticed the coolant was below the cold line and added coolant (6-10oz). Ran the sled for about 2 hours on open trail and didn't have a problem for the rest of ride.
Next day noticed the coolant was low again, checked the engine/belly for coolant spill and could not find a leak anywhere. Engine has only overheated once before couple of years ago, I was stuck on RR track.

Thinking my problem could be air in the system, I will refill coolant and try to bleed.

Is there anything about my new track install that could cause the sled to overheat, track tension, alignment, larger paddle?

·
Registered
41 Posts
does your exaust smell really sweet like radiator fluid? You could need a gasket. After riding was there snow/slush in the tunnel? Did you break your stock track, cause if you are studded you could of put a hole in the radiator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does your exaust smell really sweet like radiator fluid? You could need a gasket. After riding was there snow/slush in the tunnel? Did you break your stock track, cause if you are studded you could of put a hole in the radiator.[/b]
little snow/slush in tunnel, if there was it was on the sides. Didn't notice an abnormal smell, and I only replaced the track for performance. Didn't have a blown track.
Next pilot run out i'll check for the sweet smell, also guess i have to raise the sled and check the radiator.
thanks for your input

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
The fact that it was 34 degrees didnt help. A lot of sleds would run hot in those temps. A track with taller lugs should give you more cooling because it picks up more snow and moves more air.
Id give it another run when the temps are 20-25 degrees and see what it does.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pretty much what i was thinking, thanks all for the suggestions.[/b]
I have noticed if the snow conditions are really tight and the sleds not kicking up enough snow under low speeds it will over heat or u could check your tps sensor settings if the setting is too high then it will advance the timing too high which will make it run hot I had that problem with my 01 600 xc sp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts