Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read the new sled reviews and to my surprise every sled these guys rode, which is all of them, is great no bad review,what a joke they all can't be awesome or can they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Originally posted by zoso@Sep 26 2005, 05:54 PM
Read the new sled reviews and to my surprise every sled these guys rode, which is all of them, is great no bad review,what a joke they all can't be awesome or can they?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=894011
[/quote]

They all have their good points. By avoiding discussion of there weaknesses advertising $$$ from the manufacturers will continue to flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Did you notice how a few pages got repeated in the mag? I read the same write up on the 06 Cats twice in the same mag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Who crapped in your corn flakes. It's our mag, all of ours and it ain't free if you purchased a trail permit last year. go back to bed and get up again and be happy you'll be riding in a few months. :frech32:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,119 Posts
Originally posted by yamarx1@Sep 27 2005, 07:41 AM
Good mag to start a bondfire at cottage. Except for specs its a waste of time. Glad it free
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895059
[/quote]


I take it we can't count on you to help out with trail clearing or fund raising ? Just pay your $180.00 and rip right?

Did you even take the time to read about some of the issues the OFSC has to deal with, just to bring you the $180.00 pass that gives you access to over 30,000 miles of marked and groomed trails ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Dont " freak out " the original question was about the sled reviews which " I " think are a waste of time. It has all the spec to help but as far as using their reviews to purchase a sled you may be disappointed. Check out Muskoka800's reply. I like long track touring sleds you may like stand up sno x or the lake rocket. Everyone has a different riding style so how can one person say its great or it sucks?? Ever go to a movie that someone said was great only to come out thinking the opposite ??? Same goes here. As far as being free I guess I should have said if it was on sale for 2 bucks I would walk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
I actually thought it was one of their better efforts. The hockey player ride story was kinda neat . Write into their website and add some constructive criticism and maybe they will use some input. There are lots of people who offer opinions, and that is good, but offer your opinion somewhere constructive. Hey that mag is no Snow Tech, but just the fact that you read it cover to cover, probably twice , means you would be the first to complain if it never showed up. Just for the record the OFSC determines alot of the stuff that can go into the mag that makes some of the bigger international mags more interesting. Think of it as a really good club mag with some other input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Just called the Strathroy Sno Blizzard Club and volunteered my services for trail cleaning and staking and any other odd jobs needed to be done. First time volunteer and feels pretty dam good. Get out there and volunteer people. :div20:
 

·
Super Advanced Lummox
Joined
·
17,767 Posts
Originally posted by yamarx1@Sep 27 2005, 07:41 AM
Good mag to start a bondfire at cottage. Except for specs its a waste of time. Glad it free
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=895059
[/quote]
BTW it is not free :cn:

I believe you can get a refund or something like that if you do not want the OSM mag

I find it a good way to pass time,and read info on sleds and what affects our sledding culture like all mags

Its not the holy grail but it is not toilet paper neither
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,795 Posts
I've written some constructive criticism into OSM before, such as not recieving the mag, and guess what I didn't receive this one either. And no, I haven't moved. I ended up reading my buddy's mag today at work and noticed a ton of typos, especially in the page consuming "sled reviews". I've never been a fan of OSM and see it as a Fraternity of sledhead brethern unable to grasp the reality of the majority of sledders: We don't snowmobile for a living or do work in the industry, we do it for FUN and pay for it!

I do love the stories about snowmobiling in our province, enjoyed the NHL story, maybe more pics ???? and I would pay for a subscription to an Ontario mag that had the substance I expect out of all rags. As a season starter I was highly disapointed.

Waste of money. Why don't they use the magazine to actually try and attract volunteers? Instead of bitching about people not volunteering. I've given my time in the past to my club, and will continue to. However, I work in the city everyday, and am willing to pay to use my sled. Don't bitch at me for not volunteering, better yet why doesn't my club ask me to do something. I'd be happy to try and raise money, help with a fundraiser, sell raffel tickets, etc... But I don't have the access or time to help with hands on stuff.

If anyone is listening at OSM, stop drooling over hockey players and bitching at people who get to ride 1000 miles a year, and treat us iwth the respect we deserve. I pay good money to use the trails, I treat them with respect and I deserve the same. I think the $180 is a steal for what we get, but that doesn't mean you have to shove it down my throat.

I'm out, but what do others think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Originally posted by Killer700DOO@Sep 28 2005, 03:36 AM
  I've never been a fan of OSM and see it as a Fraternity of sledhead brethern unable to grasp the reality of the majority of sledders: We don't snowmobile for a living or do work in the industry, we do it for FUN and pay for it!

If anyone is listening at OSM, stop drooling over hockey players and bitching at people who get to ride 1000 miles a year, and treat us iwth the respect we deserve.  I pay good money to use the trails, I treat them with respect and I deserve the same.  I think the $180 is a steal for what we get, but that doesn't mean you have to shove it down my throat.

I'm out, but what do others think?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896808
[/quote]

X2

I spend years grooming, clearing brush, rocks, etc.. & what happens, the clubs on both sides on me get paid operators! Then they say you can't groom any more your not qualified, no Heavy Equipment Licence? WTF our club now has a paid groomer op that does no extras, never has done any extra's, & they want ME to go work brushing for free?? Then you see all the city riders rippin the trails all week-end complaining about the odd piece of brush or what's worse if the groomer pulls out a rock they'll drive around it all w-end :frech32: & I have to pay the same $180. as them :dunno: No thanks OFSC, I'll pay, ride & bitch like the rest from now on :doh:
And with all the saftey slammed at us in the rags, what ever happened to a certain Rag writer that creamed some people while he was on the WRONG side of the trail up N of Madawaska!!! That sure went quiet???? :Wow1:

Sorry guys rant-off :smiley-faces7:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read the letter to the editor by Keith Taylor. This moron advacates trail passes being $500.00, this guy is retarded I buy 2 passes and our family also skis in the winter. I would have to make a choice if the pass was this high and my choice would be clear, ride the lakes fuck the trails and continue to support my daughters ski racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Originally posted by zoso@Sep 28 2005, 07:54 AM
continue to support my daughters ski racing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896959
[/quote]


Here's a guy who should appreciate how cheap our trail permit is.
Downhill Ski Racing. Been there. Done that. Albeit back in the late 70's.
Downhill skiing is one expensive sport/pastime. Especially for racers who use up equipment annually and must buy that over & above lift passes and/or a seasons memberships at the home club. Then theres the fuel burned to travel to "away" races.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,795 Posts
Originally posted by Senior@Sep 28 2005, 08:54 AM
X2

I spend years grooming, clearing brush, rocks, etc..  & what happens, the clubs on both sides on me get paid operators!  Then they say you can't groom any more your not qualified, no Heavy Equipment Licence?  WTF  our club now has a paid groomer op that does no extras, never has done any extra's, & they want ME to go work brushing for free??  Then you see all the city riders rippin the trails all week-end complaining about the odd piece of brush or what's worse if the groomer pulls out a rock they'll drive around it all w-end :frech32:  & I have to pay the same $180. as them :dunno:  No thanks OFSC, I'll pay, ride & bitch like the rest from now on :doh:
And with all the saftey slammed at us in the rags, what ever happened to a certain Rag writer that creamed some people while he was on the WRONG side of the trail up N of Madawaska!!!  That sure went quiet????  :Wow1:

Sorry guys rant-off :smiley-faces7:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896958
[/quote]
Keep riding :div20: You make a good point about the groomers. Why are these guys paid when there would be a lot of poeple out there ready and willing to jump into a cool ass groomer so they can head out that night to rip on their own lines. Pay for the other grunt work, let some retiree ride the groomer. As far as bitching, I really can't as the trails I ride are almost always to perfection as long as there's snow. Mind you I ride in some of the most populated areas... $180 bucks is fine with me, but give my OSM subscription price back to the clubs, I don't want it, especially considering they don't send it to me...

Originally posted by zoso@Sep 28 2005, 08:54 AM
Read the letter to the editor by Keith Taylor. This moron advacates trail passes being $500.00, this guy is retarded I buy 2 passes and our family also skis in the winter. I would have to make a choice if the pass was this high and my choice would be clear, ride the lakes fuck the trails and continue to support my daughters ski racing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=896959
[/quote]
at current inflation levels it should be another 40-50 years before the trail permits are $500, so unless we see some drastic changes such as snow in the summer, :fluffy: lets keep the increases to the reasonable side. That said, they aren't raising the cost this year, but what about next year? When are they going to slam another $20 increase on us? I'd rather pay an extra few $ every year to keep up.

As far as skiing, 2 years ago, living in Montreal I skied 32 days. last year when I moved here I skied 1, and most of the day was spent in the bar. $50 lift pass for 300 feet of vertical isn't worth it to me after ripping out east and the big guns out west. If I could I'd move out west buy a sled with a chummer and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :eek:oh4:

Keep your daughter on the planks and leave the wife to look after her so you can rip with the boys in silence! :drunk:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Killer700DOO@Sep 28 2005, 03:27 PM
Keep riding  :div20:  You make a good point about the groomers.  Why are these guys paid when there would be a lot of poeple out there ready and willing to jump into a cool ass groomer so they can head out that night to rip on their own lines.  Pay for the other grunt work, let some retiree ride the groomer.  As far as bitching, I really can't as the trails I ride are almost always to perfection as long as there's snow.  Mind you I ride in some of the most populated areas... $180 bucks is fine with me, but give my OSM subscription price back to the clubs, I don't want it, especially considering they don't send it to me...
at current inflation levels it should be another 40-50 years before the trail permits are $500, so unless we see some drastic changes such as snow in the summer,  :fluffy: lets keep the increases to the reasonable side.  That said, they aren't raising the cost this year, but what about next year?  When are they going to slam another $20 increase on us?  I'd rather pay an extra few $ every year to keep up.

As far as skiing, 2 years ago, living in Montreal I skied 32 days.  last year when I moved here I skied 1, and most of the day was spent in the bar.  $50 lift pass for 300 feet of vertical isn't worth it to me after ripping out east and the big guns out west.  If I could I'd move out west buy a sled with a chummer and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  :eek:oh4:

Keep your daughter on the planks and leave the wife to look after her so you can rip with the boys in silence!  :drunk:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=897523
[/quote]






good plan about the wife here in ontario try blue mountain with 750 verticle and nothing but high speed lifts i skied over 70 runs in one day thats 50000 verticle more than i ever did in q or out west.To the guy that infered I was griping about the price I never complained at all I was just refering to a letter to the editor by some wack job that wants to pay 500.00.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top