Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dealer says carbed f7 will naturally outperform efi. i'm not necessarily agreeing. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
if you never change the jetting for the conditions the efi will out perform the carbs. However a properly jetted carbed sled will out perform the efi becuase the efi is on the rich side.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Yup, I second the EFI! I've had EFI since 97 and I would have a hard time going to carbs unless I ever started to race. The EFI is so nice for different weather or elevations.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have had carb and efi in the same style ZR, no comparison carb is alot more responsive, easy to tune, and cheaper to fix! If you get EFI and want more out of it, there is nothing you can do about it. I put an MBRP can, and it caused the EFI system to richen, loosing performance, more gas and more oil, never had that problem on a carb model. No more EFI for me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go with EFI you will never have to lift the hood because your sled is running to fat or you will not worry about a lean condition. I have had EFI since 94 and will never go back to carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
F250, Was the MBRP can on the F7??

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am a go with carbs - less crap to deal with down the road. I had a 99 ZR Fuelie and it never missed a beat. Fuel pumps & injectors can get costly later down the road.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Its really a matter of preference. Both have the pros and cons. Carbs, the pros are, if you jet right, they will be much more responsive. They are easier to work on and do mods to the sled with. Cons, if you dont rejet for conditions, warm days will be rough and run crappy. EFI, Pros, always runs the same, no matter tempature or altitude. You never need to rejet, and dont need to worry about being lean on those cold days. Cons, mods are tough, need to replace ECU for pipes or whatever else. Slightly less throttle response as compared to a perfectly jetted carb. I think the Firecat F7 EFI is pretty damn responsive. I would go EFI I think just because of those warm days. I dont think I know anyone that rejets regularly. Even thou with carbs, you should. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have an F7 and I would have to diagree on it's ability to compensate for all conditions. This past weekend sled felt very RICH on a day around 0C but was much better the next day when temps were about -12C. There is a reason for this. Although the temps were diff and the efi can compensate for this, the density of the air was radically different. With the air being more dense on the cold day the EFI worked better. Cat's EFI does not have a mass airflow sensor (which cars have) which would make the necessary correction. The CAT EFI simply takes a temp reading and reads the amount of fuel off a table, it does not adjust for density, hence it can feel different depending on conditions. With a carb, even though you have to do some work, you can account for this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by morrisond@Mar 11 2003, 11:05 AM
I have an F7 and I would have to diagree on it's ability to compensate for all conditions. This past weekend sled felt very RICH on a day around 0C but was much better the next day when temps were about -12C. There is a reason for this. Although the temps were diff and the efi can compensate for this, the density of the air was radically different. With the air being more dense on the cold day the EFI worked better. Cat's EFI does not have a mass airflow sensor (which cars have) which would make the necessary correction. The CAT EFI simply takes a temp reading and reads the amount of fuel off a table, it does not adjust for density, hence it can feel different depending on conditions. With a carb, even though you have to do some work, you can account for this.
Good points, efi does not compensate to the point that most think it does. A properly jetted carb will run better on warm days however neither can get the good combustion with the air density. On average though I would say that efi is the way to go for 90% of the riders. Quite often when we go riding for the day it may be - 25 when we leave get upto -10/-15 and then be -30 by the time we get back. If you wanted to stay in the same ball park with a carbed sled and be on the ragged edge that would require 2 trail side jettings. The efi will always be in the ball park. In short the efi will be closer on average with zero work. You can get the carb closer at any point in time but due to temp changes it will not likely stay that way long. Plus you have to worry about that safe zone on long wfo pulls across the lake or steady throttle trail riding if you have messed with the needles. Also a large part of this is dependant on where Cat puts the map and they are being less conservative as time goes on. A few years ago they would ahve never dreamed of mapping the f7"s mid where it was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts