Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I broke one of the 9 screws on the secondary installing the shift assist and orange spring. Problem is, both dealers near the house don't have the damn 10x24 1 1/4" torx round head screw I need. Lowes, Home Depot, and 2 Ace hardware stores are also void of the same screw. I picked up a generic hex round head 10x24 1" screw. Question is, will this one rogue screw thats a 1/4" short mess up the balance of the secondary enough to damage the sled if I install it?

I'd like to put everything together tonight, but I'm not sure I should do it without the exact same screw. I have a torx screw with the same dimensions as the stock one, but it has a flat head with a tapered neck - not a round head, so it will not fit on the surface of the secondary the same as the other screws.

Am I being to anal or is this something I should wait and get the replacement screw??? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would tend to be anal about something that spins very fast and needs to be balanced. I am not sure what would happen on the clutch but I have seen what happens to a propeller and subsequent attached motor on an airplane when their is what appears to be a very small chunk out that is missing. Lets just say "total replacement"

IMO I would order the new screws that are supposed to be a stonger metal that "The Guy From UP North" references on Arctichat threads. Part number is 1623-517 they are supposed to be a lot stronger and less likely to break. I just ordered them from arcticcatpowersports.com for $.53 each. Should be here in a day or two.

Looks like you are located in MI, so unless you are in the UP, you are probably stuck waiting for snow like the rest of us, so I would wait for the right part as opposed to running un-balanced and taking the chance of bending something. That will end up costing you a lot more then the $5.00 in screws. Again just my $.02...

·
Registered
54 Posts
i hope your using some sort of heat source to heat the blue loctite that is applied to them from the factory.
if you did not use heat getting yours out and only broke one, i would stop what im doing and immediately
go buy a lottery ticket ASAP.....(you very lucky boy)...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hope your using some sort of heat source to heat the blue loctite that is applied to them from the factory.
if you did not use heat getting yours out and only broke one, i would stop what im doing and immediately
go buy a lottery ticket ASAP.....(you very lucky boy)...[/b]
Its been 65 degrees here for two days. No heat needed. But yes, I am lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts