Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
RIP, It's been a rough season so far, Lakes are definetly dangerous at night, had a mishap myself on one many years ago. Objects are hard to see at speed and nightime.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes RIP. I don't know how many times in all of my years of riding that I have seen someone on a snowmobile that didn't have a clue on how to ride, handle, or control it. Any one can drive one, riding one is a whole different animal. Please be careful out there. :c-n:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am proud to say we rarely (if ever) ride at night. We are ritualized at camp and on our bag trips. We get up early, coffee, sled maintenance (oil, grease,etc), ride to breakfast then 100-160 mile day with a goal of parking sleds at dusk. Occasionally a mishap will have us home just after dark. Riding in the beam of light is a whole different animal and our group avoids at all costs. No judgments just truth that many mishaps occur after dark on trails.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Same here auger. Would rather ride all day and park them at night and enjoy the company of friends and others. I too have come in late on occasion but do not look to ride at night. To each his own. Nothing wrong either way. Prayers and thought to the friends and family of the deceased.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I feel the same way but this year I have ridden at night, still home by 7 pm but I will say I feel alot safer in the corners at night as far as seeing oncoming traffic but if my day went as planned I was on the trail by 7 or 8 am and am usually spent and home by 5 pm.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I feel the same way but this year I have ridden at night, still home by 7 pm but I will say I feel alot safer in the corners at night as far as seeing oncoming traffic but if my day went as planned I was on the trail by 7 or 8 am and am usually spent and home by 5 pm.
I used to love riding at night for that reason. I used to ride fast because I didn't have to worry about oncoming traffic. After a couple of really close calls with moose I changed my tune. Now I prefer to be back before dark if possible. Darkness just makes all of your problems worse.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Riding at night

Riding at night is crazy. Ask my buddy who hit a deer on the trail at night doin 60. Don't ride at night. The deer are out on the snowmobile trails plus your ability to control the sled has been greatly reduced by darkness.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Riding at night is crazy. Ask my buddy who hit a deer on the trail at night doin 60. Don't ride at night. The deer are out on the snowmobile trails plus your ability to control the sled has been greatly reduced by darkness.

When I first got back into the sport a number of years ago, I was constantly bit*hing about wanting to do a night ride. One day we got turned around due to trail closures, got ourselves all mixed up and didn't make it back to Kingfield until 8-8:30 pm. I told our trip master that I was all done yearning for a night ride. I'm not going to do 50 on a trail where I can only see the next 2 or 3 moguls/turns etc. Like someone said above, all of your potential problems on the trail are worse at night.
PS I did/do like the fact that you can see headlights of oncoming sleds sooner though.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I love night riding , my wife and I plan at least one ride per trip that brings us back well after dark.The views can be spectacular from the lookouts and as long as you don't outrun your headlight you're fine.
Like someone else said you can see oncoming traffic ( what little there is) much better. Riding on lakes at night is something we avoid , far too hard to navigate.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Too bad the deer and moose don't use headlights, or tail lights for that matter. I avoid riding at night like the plague. Like it's been mentioned..... problems on the trail become exacerbated once the sun sets. The poor fellow that just passed in Sidney, may he RIP, had become separated from his group, and was no doubt in a tizzy to find them :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love night riding , my wife and I plan at least one ride per trip that brings us back well after dark.The views can be spectacular from the lookouts and as long as you don't outrun your headlight you're fine.
Like someone else said you can see oncoming traffic ( what little there is) much better. Riding on lakes at night is something we avoid , far too hard to navigate.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have seen a few deer hit in broad daylight , including one that totalled a sled this past new years day. I have yet to see the northern lights during the day. But nothing good comes from being on lakes at night , and riding in general after midnight.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Trail riding at night is great, just a little slower. On coming sleds are seen miles away, if there are any at all...
You guys mention deer being a problem but its just as bad during the day, if a deer runs out of tree line your not seeing it day or night at speed till your right on top of it.

Lakes on the other hand... No reference points, way to easy to get lost, and feel the need to speed up to find your group.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts