Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a Bearcat clamshell and need some references to go off of. When the clamshell is open, the shock support arms lock in place. You have to push in one arm at the pivot point then hold down that side while kicking the other pivot point in just to get the arms to pivot when closing. I pulled a shock off and it takes all my weight and some to compress it and retracts very fast.

Here are some pictures when its open, notice how the arms are straight at the pivot points. Pretty sure they are supposed to be slightly folded in at the pivot point. The last picture shows a metal piece that slides up and down but it's only on one of the arm supports

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
What you do is slightly push in the arm on the side with the slider,then push the slider up and release the pressure to jam the arm .Then you can push in the arm on the other side and close it easily.Both arms would have had those sliders originally.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that is how these trailers function? You have to manually push the arms in everytime you close it? Has anyone switched over the arm set up with just the shocks mounted midway like the newer clamshells?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a trailer I fitted a cover on. My arms are in the middle of the trailer (trailer is ride on ride off). Not sure about the metal piece sliding. My arms I have to slightly push to start them closing, then weight does the rest. I made a tool with an old broom stick, I can stand at front or rear hit arms with tool and it closes. I have to manually hold it and ease it down though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just use it the way it is then? I thought there were parts missing or shocks were bad.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The lower mounts are supposed to be near the middle of the trailer and should have the bend you mention. You're not supposed to have to push on them to close. That's how mine was but that is a very short trailer and that changes the geometry. Perhaps that is a different style arm than I had

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
just an idea, but if this trailer is older, I would make sure you have a really c,lose look at the axle and where it mounts to the frame, there prone to rust out in these area's
just saying, before you go investing money in cap, make sure under side if good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts