Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m riding a 95 xlt SKS 580 over 11000 miles and never been rebuilt. I will be getting it done this summer but only as preventive work. Re-did rear suspension this fall changed idler bearings, new water pump new gas pump and lines. All preventive they were all still working without issue but I ride alone so just trying to prevent a breakdown

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a Polaris mechanic for 20 years starting in 1990, like others said the ones with problems were modified (incorrectly). The only legitimate problems were the 95 xlt's, I remember setting up several new ones that the crank went out of index at start up. All of the bad ones we had were in xlt's no xcr's oddly. We put new cranks in and then they were good to go. The 93-94 580 xlt's seemed to run forever without trouble. We sold over 100 xlt's in 94, hard to believe...
By any chance would you know why it takes me 15 plus pills to start my 93 580? Once it’s running it’s a great machine but it’s a nightmare to start

·
Premium Member
19,037 Posts
By any chance would you know why it takes me 15 plus pills to start my 93 580? Once it’s running it’s a great machine but it’s a nightmare to start
I still work on sleds in my shop. Here's my 2 cents:
1. Make sure chokes are properly adjusted.
2. Clean and adjust carbs.
3. Check for any air leaks. Carb boots, crank seals, etc.
4. Check engine compression.
5. Look for broken piston skirts.
6. Check fuel flow and pressure.
7. Check fuel pickup hose inside tank for damage/leaks/blockage.
8. Check water traps on bottom of float bowls for leakage.
9. Try removing all spark plugs and pour a teaspoon of gasoline into each plug hole, then try to start it. If it starts right away, you are starving for fuel for any/all of the reasons I listed.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts