Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’m riding a 95 xlt SKS 580 over 11000 miles and never been rebuilt. I will be getting it done this summer but only as preventive work. Re-did rear suspension this fall changed idler bearings, new water pump new gas pump and lines. All preventive they were all still working without issue but I ride alone so just trying to prevent a breakdown

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a Polaris mechanic for 20 years starting in 1990, like others said the ones with problems were modified (incorrectly). The only legitimate problems were the 95 xlt's, I remember setting up several new ones that the crank went out of index at start up. All of the bad ones we had were in xlt's no xcr's oddly. We put new cranks in and then they were good to go. The 93-94 580 xlt's seemed to run forever without trouble. We sold over 100 xlt's in 94, hard to believe...
By any chance would you know why it takes me 15 plus pills to start my 93 580? Once it’s running it’s a great machine but it’s a nightmare to start

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
By any chance would you know why it takes me 15 plus pills to start my 93 580? Once it’s running it’s a great machine but it’s a nightmare to start
I still work on sleds in my shop. Here's my 2 cents:
1. Make sure chokes are properly adjusted.
2. Clean and adjust carbs.
3. Check for any air leaks. Carb boots, crank seals, etc.
4. Check engine compression.
5. Look for broken piston skirts.
6. Check fuel flow and pressure.
7. Check fuel pickup hose inside tank for damage/leaks/blockage.
8. Check water traps on bottom of float bowls for leakage.
9. Try removing all spark plugs and pour a teaspoon of gasoline into each plug hole, then try to start it. If it starts right away, you are starving for fuel for any/all of the reasons I listed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i wish i could suggest even 2 thing that patrioticinnovations suggested. Im new to this snow mobile world and I'm learning how to work on my sled via my manual , these forms and you tube. So far I've have pretty good luck. everything under the sled i replaced this fall and man what a difference it has made on the bumps... although i have noticed that i dont have as good as good of steering as i used to. so im trying to figure out hoe to adjust my middle coil spring tension. i think this is what i need to adjust to get more pressure on the front end so that i can steer better.

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
Good day I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea if a 2002 XCR 800 triple triple is a good machine
Yes. But the water pump can start leaking at 3000 miles and higher. And parts are near impossible to find. Also, left front motor mounts will break almost immediately if you don't install a good torque arm. Slides in carbs are pot metal and break easily. Need to be replaced with black anodized aluminum ones that are hard to find also and expensive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just had my first ride on my 2001 w/ 136" extension, PPS shock, HackSaw w/ studs and I was pleased w/ the ride. I have a '00 w/ an M-20 , so I have pretty good basis for comparison. I really like both sleds...alot.
The water pump parts are a bit of a pain, particularly the pump shaft. Still, they are out there.
Phil, thanks for all the help w/ my '01. It really is turning out well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good day all. Well Wrfinally got some nice snow and sure enough I had a failure. I broke a Rear torque arm suspension rod and I can’t find one anywhere. This is for a 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580. Does anyone know where I can look to find one. I’d prefer new but at this point I would take used. I’ve attached a picture for reference and the part I’m looking for is part # 20. I’d appreciate any help possible Map Font Parallel Slope Schematic

·
Registered
48,515 Posts
For what its worth, our guy broke one on his sled back in the day when doing a bag ride in quebec. He ripped them off and was able to ride the entire week without them. I probably wouldn't advise it but he was able to get away with it. You'll need to check ebay, or a sled yard if their nla from polaris.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good day all. Well Wrfinally got some nice snow and sure enough I had a failure. I broke a Rear torque arm suspension rod and I can’t find one anywhere. This is for a 1994 Polaris XLT SKS 580. Does anyone know where I can look to find one. I’d prefer new but at this point I would take used. I’ve attached a picture for reference and the part I’m looking for is part # 20. I’d appreciate any help possible View attachment 2129082
I have a set sitting here if you are still in need

·
Registered
278 Posts
im am interested let me know how much you want and if you would have any ideahow much it woldcost me to get them to New Brunswick Canada? Also if you can add a picture that would really help. Thank you
I don't need much for them. I have no idea on shipping, but I assume the shipping will be the bulk of the cost?

I can look into it if you would like?

They are still on the skid

Automotive tire Wood Cannon Motor vehicle Gas

41 - 60 of 75 Posts