Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
Yep, i sold off all my fuji 440 and 500 twins after years of racing and trail riding them for those mono block triples after seeing buddies 93-94 xli's with triple pipes running flawless and getting hosed at the same time. Having the xcr 600 was a big failure imo. All was forgiven in 96 after i got a 680 ultra sp. Ran it 2 flawless seasons and went back to the liberty 600 twins in 98. Been with them ever since. Their just easier to flick around with better throttle response than triples.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all just cran into this discussion. I have a 94 XLT SKS 50 with close to 11000mes on it. Still runs amazing. Going to get the top end done this summer just because Im going to hand it over to my GF and get my self a newer one. Would love to get a late 90’s 800 storm triple triple. Anyone have any comments on that

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Hi all just cran into this discussion. I have a 94 XLT SKS 50 with close to 11000mes on it. Still runs amazing. Going to get the top end done this summer just because Im going to hand it over to my GF and get my self a newer one. Would love to get a late 90’s 800 storm triple triple. Anyone have any comments on that
I like the 95 storm in wedge chassis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes sorry I was just reading up on triples and I guess the storm came to mind. I’d love to get a reliable factory triple triple. New sleds are just way to expensive. And I much prefer the look of the older sleds.

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
Yes sorry I was just reading up on triples and I guess the storm came to mind. I’d love to get a reliable factory triple triple. New sleds are just way to expensive. And I much prefer the look of the older sleds.
skip the storm and get the xcr 7 or 800 with ves.much better motors.

Reactions: XCR1250 and Lid2

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Well 99 or newer Xcr 700 or 800. Is get the 800. But before 99 I’m pretty sure in 98. They renamed the ultra Spx. The Xcr 700 and it was the old ultra engine. In 99 it was the variable exhaust 700.

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
Well 99 or newer Xcr 700 or 800. Is get the 800. But before 99 I’m pretty sure in 98. They renamed the ultra Spx. The Xcr 700 and it was the old ultra engine. In 99 it was the variable exhaust 700.
yes thats right.forgot about that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I had an XLT. Can't t remember but had a purple head. Best engine ever built. Always started first or second pull. I put it away one year under the cottage and 7, yes SEVEN years later I dragged it out and it started on the 3rd pull

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Purple Vehicle Automotive design

Not sure if you saw this one last week

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
I like the 95 storm in wedge chassis
Our guy had one we swapped out with aaen triple pipes. We won a few races with the sled in the stock improved class, but nothing like back in 93 with that 750 storm running the stock class. That sled just dominated.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
880 Posts
Triple jump… I am the proud owner of a 1999 XLT Touring that has come with a second engine. Original engine has scored PTO cylinder. Replacement motor checks out good, butt is older and has a 3 oil line oil pump vs the originals 4 line. The sled is going to be used for two up trail riding, nothing aggressive, and for pulling a small ice fishing sled on occasion. This will either be a smooth, reliable endeavor…or I’ll have to look at a rebuild of the original engine if the replacement goes south. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
19,037 Posts
I still own my 94 Storm 800 with less than 500 miles on it. Was turbocharged for trail use, then removed turbo and set it up for lake racing with PSI Modblaster pipes and Boswell moded flatslide carbs. Has HD driveshaft, jackshaft, 15 wide drivechain, geared down, speed track, hyperfax hifax, lightweight Fabcraft trailing arms, short racing skis. Very fast till I flipped it at over 100 mph when I crossed the end of the drag strip plowed area. Big ice ridge. Sold engine to a guy who bought my 95 Storm with bad engine. The bad 95 800 has the updated more desirable 96 nicasil cylinders. I'm now rebuilding the 95 engine for the 94. May reinstall turbo. Might be for sale to a vintage collector for the right price..

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
Friend of mine bought a new 96 xcr sp back in the day, and couldn't wait for the snow, Ended up taking the 1st ride on a local frozen lake, and hit an ice ridge at about 80 mph. Totaled the sled as it must of flipped, and rolled several times. He got really lumped up also. We ended up salvaging the engine making an 800 out of it for another sled.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I sold my switchback this season and now back on the 95 XLT. Still a good sled for a rip down the trails. Almost 12000 miles on it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts