Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to pass on bad information so I am seeking some from the more knowledgeable. I advise friends to pass by old triples ( 90,s ) due to a statement an old snowmobile mechanic made to me. Plus some experience I had.
The only sleds I ever rode with that blew up in the past 50 years were 90,s triples! And all of them it was the middle cylinder. Old mechanic told me it was a factory problem with the center cylinder running too lean. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I had very good experience with any triple I owned. That included Poo's and Cat's. There are still two I see regularly here that a younger couple own. (Polaris) last I looked both sleds had over 12000 miles on them and never see the owners having any issues.

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
Thru the years I've owned 9 of those, only ones that blew up were very modified and always the PTO cylinder.
Pretty much the same here. Only exception was on my bone stock 95 xcr 600, kept taking out the center piston with less than 20 miles on the odo was due to a bad crank. Even after the crank was replaced and welded i had a pto piston fail from being too lean in the mid., and that was running with triple aftermarket pipes. Had a 96 ultra with pipes with 4k miles in one season, ran flawless. Most of my experience being a head chef were self inflicted.

·
Premium Member
39,713 Posts
I perhaps mis-stated, I assumed the op meant the old seperate cylinder triples and the case reed engines..the XLT triples had some issues although the 3 we had never did, I saw a few customers XLT/XCR's sleds that had crank problems.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Here we go! Ive had triples over the past 20 plus yrs, some stock, some with lots of work done to them. Ive never had trouble with my own, seen many customers sleds that have had 10,000 plus miles on them. But had one customer that had crank fail 3 times in 1 winter.

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
We had my 95 xcr 600 and a 95 xlt sp 600 fresh from the dealer that had both cranks fail on the first time out. I think polaris had so many orders for those 600 mono block motors that year, the quality control became mia.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was a Polaris mechanic for 20 years starting in 1990, like others said the ones with problems were modified (incorrectly). The only legitimate problems were the 95 xlt's, I remember setting up several new ones that the crank went out of index at start up. All of the bad ones we had were in xlt's no xcr's oddly. We put new cranks in and then they were good to go. The 93-94 580 xlt's seemed to run forever without trouble. We sold over 100 xlt's in 94, hard to believe...

·
Premium Member
39,713 Posts
I was a Polaris mechanic for 20 years starting in 1990, like others said the ones with problems were modified (incorrectly). The only legitimate problems were the 95 xlt's, I remember setting up several new ones that the crank went out of index at start up. All of the bad ones we had were in xlt's no xcr's oddly. We put new cranks in and then they were good to go. The 93-94 580 xlt's seemed to run forever without trouble. We sold over 100 xlt's in 94, hard to believe...
I had a 1992, they were fairly rare to see.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had an XLT. Can't t remember but had a purple head. Best engine ever built. Always started first or second pull. I put it away one year under the cottage and 7, yes SEVEN years later I dragged it out and it started on the 3rd pull

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally owned 96XCR600SP triple that I purchased for peanuts from the original owner who had"EXPERTS"set it up, it ran so poorly because the jetting and carb sync was so out of whack he could no longer deal with the poor fuel mileage(not that those got stellar mileage anyway)"you have to ride it wide open because its that way from the factory"
Long story short I fixed it and set it up properly with help from a good dealer the sled was all sorted and I put over 2K on it with no troubles,sorry for the long winded story.

·
Banned
5,902 Posts
Those silver water cover XLTs ran! Add Pipes and Hang on! 10,000 miles of thrashing! Like a 440 on Steroids.........

Came on on top Hard........Spin it to Win It!

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
The 93-94 580 xlts did well when adding triple pipes. Every one we did up in 95-97 with triple pipes blew up in short time. Buddies shop was replacing cranks and pistons as fast as poo could stock them. Those were the worst years for 3 cyl. motors imo poo ever made.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
retired my 97 xlt sks last year with close to 15k on the clock, due to chassis damage. Untouched engine.
Got it for free, had it for 9 years and I only had to buy needle/seats, exhaust manifold and some recoil parts for it. I'd say i got my moneys worth from it :D

·
Registered
46,258 Posts
If you got the late 97 motor with the 4th oiling line from poo, you were golden. The earlier 97 motors didn't have the better lower ends and usually ended up as a boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
ive seen and heard from various people that the 95 wedge white xcr 600s with the monoblock motors had very crappy bottom ends. everyone around here failed.

shame too, because they were a very nice looking sled.

heard of indy 650s going down but every one of those were done o the tits and ran on the edge. the xcr my buddy owned was babied and was about as easy an existance a sled could have , bone stock , and lost the crank in no time.

my other buddy had a xlt 580.went through utter hell, zero maintanance, ran forever.go figure.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts