Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my trailer over to a friends house to drag my F7 off of my trailer and load it on his for a day trip tomorrow. Anyway, started it up and it ran 30 seconds and died. It revved a little high just before it died. Anyway, he wanted to pull off the fuel line and check for the pump to be working and I told him this was not smart as I told him it takes a LOT of pulls to re-pressurize the fuel rail (I do know about disconnecting the yellow wire for the sensor, making it easier). Anyway we disconnected the fuel pump and reversed it as I have read (used paper clips), pulled a few times, reconnected normal and it started. It ran for about 15 secs. and died again. Reversed it again, started it, ran for 15 secs. again and died. I have 115 miles on this sled. First problem. I know I can alter the smart valves but will just take it to the dealer for the upgrade. Sorry so long, but at least I know what it is and happy it happened in the driveway instead of on the trail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like you might actually have something in the tank like ice.. the fact that it would restart and then die again make me think the SV's are doing their job of filtering the gas.
Did you try using isopropyl?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Rob! I'm not sure how much gas is in the tank, but I know it is over half. The last time I rode it was two weekends ago. Before that last ride I had a full tank of gas and I put half a bottle of iso in it. I rode 55 miles and have not filled the tank since. This is what I do NOT like to do, as you know from flying as well as I it is best to fill the tank as soon as possible so there is no surface for moisture to build up on. Anyway, I live in Maryland and it has been colder this past few days (the whole NE US) - about 20 degrees or so, a tad lower at night. My VIN does not appear to be in the range listed in the bulletin. I really doubt my valves 'caught air'. I drug the sled of my trailer when it was not running. Does it have to be running when the valves catch air, like these guys riding hills with very low tanks? Also, if it reversed as we were able to do I was surprised it stopped running. Seems to me that what I have read here is that as soon as the pump is reversed the sled runs fine after that. I have not tried my sled today - was going to take it to the dealer tomorrow as I have the day off. Guess I will go try some iso!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the sleds on the trailer - the fuel gauge is showing over half full. Pulled the rope and it started - ran for about 15 seconds and died. It ran a bit faster the last few seconds before it died. Dumped in about half a bottle of iso and let it sit a while, shook the sled some. Pulled and no-go. Let it sit 10 minutes and tried again. Nothing. How long does iso need to take affect? I will try in the morning. I wanted to try starting before I added the iso. Wrong move?

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, there is a possiblity of the fuel pump itself separating.. that is part of the update kit.. there is a bracket to prevent it from separating. So that could be the problem. Also It's possible that you just got a shot of bad gas.. I guess you need to get it back to your dealer to really confirm that you don't need the update kit, and to find out what's going on.. Let us know what your find out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, guys. I was reading the tech bulletin for the pump and valve upgrade wrong - my sled does fall into this range. Took it the dealer today. He said they knew of this - some others had problems. Why not call me? Anyway, I did not know that on the VIN's the last six digits are the only thing to consider ( I was getting caught up in the 03's and 91's in there!). Anyways, he said it should be ready in a few days. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts